Heym 88

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
DSC
Hunted
US
Besides knowing the fact that the ammo would have to shoot well in this particular rifle, Model 70 safari late production, what Factory ammo would you recommend for plains game and maybe buffalo. I'm planning on my double for buffalo, but you never know. Just for giggles, lets just say they all shoot well so what mfg and bullet type would you pick? I'm talking about loaded cartridges right out the box. Thanks

I'm a big TSX fan. Swift A Frame is another very popular bullet with the PHs.

I have found Barnes Vor-Tx factory ammo to be very good and accurate out of my rifles.

Now if they all shot equally I'd just buy the cheapest ammo I could find with a premium bullet, but in my experience they don't all shoot equally. Let me see if I can find some pictures to show you the difference between Barnes and Hornady in my .375.

Same day and back to back three shot groups with time in between to let the barrel cool between groups. The first group is Barnes and the second Hornady. I thought the scope had come loose the group was so bad!

Shot some more after this and it was the same. That rifle just hates Hornady ammo....

CAM00002.jpg
CAM00005.jpg

What rifle were you using and was it the 300gr FB hollow point?

great factory options:

- Federal loaded with trophy bonded bear claw
- Barnes Vor-TX
- Federal loaded with Swift A-frame

note: while i like the Nosler Accubond bullet, i dont like Nosler factory ammunition! i had primer issues with Nosler 375 H&H factory ammunition and ive never had great accuracy with their ammunition.

-matt

CZ 550.

And yes, the standard flatbase TSX. I also got lucky and found some Barnes Banded Solids and they shot really well and almost the same POI. Number two on the accuracy list for my rifle and a solid was Federal Sledgehammers. I point this out because they would hopefully match up with the bear claw that Matt pointed out.

All Matt listed will perform well and kill quite dead.

i just wish Federal would sell their TBB and TBT bullets separately! (i prefer hand loading)

-matt

My late model 70 375 H&H loves the Federal Premium 300 grain Trophy bonded Bear Claws and shoots nice tight groups with them. Best I have come across so far. And I hve not found a PH who does not love them as well.... Used them to great effect on my lion as well as lots of other stuff. Never shot a buffalo with it though. I think they would be a great all around choice.

It also seems pretty satisfied with Hornady Superformance 270 grain interbonds. They are very flat shooting so I used them on my first PG only hunt. But I would not use them on Buffalo.

on the other hand to get solids and softs to regulate, I found Federal Premium Hydro Solids and Remington Premium A Frames (both 300 grains) regulated closer to the same poa than using the solids with the Bear Claws. The PH's all see mto love these as well as Sledgehammer solids... Which I have not tried.

I suggest you get a box of each of these as well as a box of Barnes TSX and try them all out... I'm sure you will find some real winners out of these.... Or if you don't want to go through all that.. .Start with the Barnes.. At the time I could not find them.

Lots of bullets do well these days, but everyone here - as elsewhere - has their favourite. Mine are:

Barnes VOR-TX

Federal loaded with, in order:
Barnes TSX
Trophy bonded bear claw
Swift A frame.​

Used them all at one time or another and had superb performance.

Thanks guys..just what I needed. I used to do a lot of reloading until raising kids. Now I'm prolly to lazy..lol. The sportsmans wharehouse here carries all of those. Thanks again.

Maybe I'm officially to late for this question.
But if not, my vote for the .375 on plains game is any 300 grain bullet with a lead core ("soft nose").
I am fond of Hornady round nose 300 grainers, as well as Nosler Partition 300 gr. for this caliber (finest hunting rifle cartridge of all time).
My favorite super tough soft nose however, is the Swift A-Frame.

Some have recommended the Barnes TXS.
I've no experience with that one but, that is because I have a deep seated distrust for hollow point bullets of any brand or description.
Even if the TXS will reliably expand at .375 H&H velocity (probably will), I would guess that most PG species do not require a bullet as tough as that one.
(Better too tough than not tough enough though, I guess).

Last edited:
@Velo Dog the OP implied he wanted a bullet that would also work for DG. (hence the mention of the heavy hitters)

-matt

I saw a sale on Remington 300 grain swift A frames.....has anyone tried these?

I havent, but wouldn't hesitate to give them a try.

me too.....The scope I want to put on this rifle is a 4-12 swarvoski but seems like I may have to remove rear sight which I don't want to do. The tube on this scope is pretty short.

Give them a go, if they shoot accurately you've got a great DG bullet or at least out to 200 yards PG bullet. A bit harsh for the smaller PG animals for sure however.

I think I will try them.....in my little huntin rifles I used Remington core lokts with very good success, They might be harsh for smaller PG, but dead is dead lol.

I think I will try them.....in my little huntin rifles I used Remington core lokts with very good success, They might be harsh for smaller PG, but dead is dead lol.

Yes, dead is dead, but if you blow have the chest off of a steenbok you will end up with a skull mount! It still comes down to shot placement IMO. I shot my grysbok with a 300 grain TSX and just hit him dead center in the body. Guts blew out the hole in back, but I could have done a full body mount had a chosen. If I had hit him in the shoulder....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomasovWoogy

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg