Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
BASC
Hunted
UK, Norfolk, Cambridgeshire, Dumfries and Galloway, Isle of Arran (Scotland). RSA, North West, Kalahari, Limpopo
Hello all,
Just wondered how many of you use the express sights on BA rifles for DG?? Im thinking about having the ones on my 375 H&H regulated for 350grn pills at 50 and 100 yrds

You would only drop 1.2 inches or so at 100 if you zeroed at 50. So why?

NECG or New Egland Custom Gunsight makes the best sights. I very much applaud you shooting in Africa with iron sights. It increases the challenge and forces you to stalk closer rather then blast at distance.

The .375 really doesn't drop enough to warrant drop reticle or flip up express sights. If you can shoot off hand to see the less than 1.5" drop consistently between those ranges, you are a better shot then me.

I would really suggest a red fiber front sight. Helps with less than perfect eyes and shows up at dusk.

You would only drop 1.2 inches or so at 100 if you zeroed at 50. So why?

NECG or New Egland Custom Gunsight makes the best sights. I very much applaud you shooting in Africa with iron sights. It increases the challenge and forces you to stalk closer rather then blast at distance.

The .375 really doesn't drop enough to warrant drop reticle or flip up express sights. If you can shoot off hand to see the less than 1.5" drop consistently between those ranges, you are a better shot then me.

I would really suggest a red fiber front sight. Helps with less than perfect eyes and shows up at dusk.

I dont want to boast but I can put five rounds in a 50 pence coin off hand at 50yrd. I was thinking the same for the front sight. I didn't think about how little the round drops. I guess I could just have it regulated for 100yrds as I'm not going to shoot on live game with open sights much further than that.

PS I'm in the UK so my sights might have to come from some place like Rigbys as there are very few guys that have the kit to do it

Nope, but you can shoot, so see if they can regulate the leaves for a little further... I.e. 50 and 150. Then buffalo AND kudu are in trouble...

From NECG a favorite that I have on all of my Big Bore Bolt Guns with a green fiber optic front sight I like the fact that you can see thru the front sight.

Attachments

• Picture1.png
    Picture1.png
    63.4 KB · Views: 600
Last edited by a moderator:
I have NECG rear and front on our 375 Weatherby and the CZ 550 stock leaf rear and NECG front sight on my 500 Jeffery. When good scopes go bad it's always nice to have irons on. I have Talley QRs on both rifles and regularly shoot both with irons and scope.

From NECG a favorite that I have on all of my Big Bore Bolt Guns with a green fiber optic front sight I like the fact that you can see thru the front sight.

Haven't seen this before. May have to look into it for my old eyes!

Just out of curiosity, how many people know of someone with a premium scope in good quality mounts that failed or was irreparably damaged while on safari? I can totally see how it might happen getting into and out of vehicles and taking a spill, but I can't remember ever having a good quality scope fail... Maybe I am just lucky?
Now, how many times have I seen QD scope mounts fail? Three times actually. Plus, only one design that would remotely return to zero after being taken off.
People always say, "what if my scope fails and we are tracking a wounded animal" or some other crazy scenario with a very low probability. Then they want QD mounts so they can use iron sights.
I say, use FAR more reliable fixed mounts and pack a tiny, non intrusive torx wrench in your pack. You can generally remove fixed rings in less than a few minutes with the wrench and use iron sights.

Just my .02

NECG are selling Recknagel sights and parts made in Germany... And if you look at the whole Recknagel catalogue, you'll realise that there is a LOT of good stuff in there.

http://www.recknagel.de/Joomla/

Unfortunately you can't get that good stuff, because NECG is not importing it, and Recknagel won't sell it tou you since that's supposed to be NECG's job.

No kudos to NECG, sorry Sir.

Just out of curiosity, how many people know of someone with a premium scope in good quality mounts that failed or was irreparably damaged while on safari? I can totally see how it might happen getting into and out of vehicles and taking a spill, but I can't remember ever having a good quality scope fail... Maybe I am just lucky?
Now, how many times have I seen QD scope mounts fail? Three times actually. Plus, only one design that would remotely return to zero after being taken off.
People always say, "what if my scope fails and we are tracking a wounded animal" or some other crazy scenario with a very low probability. Then they want QD mounts so they can use iron sights.
I say, use FAR more reliable fixed mounts and pack a tiny, non intrusive torx wrench in your pack. You can generally remove fixed rings in less than a few minutes with the wrench and use iron sights.

Just my .02

I've never had my Talley QR mounts fail or lose zero even when pounded by the recoil of my 500 Jeffery, but I've only had them for about seven years. And to agree with you, I've only had one scope fail, it was a cheap Redfield Tracker that had been on my 270 and had endured over a thousand days hunting in the field. I have a spare identical scope (Leupold 1.5-5x) for my 500 Jeffery in the same Tallery QR mounts also sighted in I keep in a soft case trying to be ready for anything. Good advice on the mounts and a torx wrench too!

I would not bother with a second leaf on you express sight, though they do look good. The chance of the second popping up when least need is a possibility and have heard of folks that glue their leaf sights down for that reason. A 50yrd sight will very accurately get you to 100yrds.
My next Buff hunt I plan on using my Double, for me the hunt is everything up to pressing the trigger, Iron sights means shooting inside of 70 yards for my eyes and 50yrds would be better...
Sorry to hijack this post on shooting with Iron Sights....
+1 on the Talley's I have them on my 375H&H, 400H&H and my 458 Lott and have put many rounds through them. But, I will be quick too say that anything can and will fail at some point.
My last Buff which I shot with my 400H&H had a Swaro 1-6 mounted on Talley QDs, After the initial shot the Buff went 70yrds and stopped, I topped off my magazine, spun off the scope and stepped forward with the PH. The Buff by now decided it was dead enough and went down and only a insurance shot was needed.
So why did I take off the scope with a 1-6 scope, I don't know. Perhaps I just have more confidence with Irons when things may get close.

I dont want to boast but I can put five rounds in a 50 pence coin off hand at 50yrd. I was thinking the same for the front sight. I didn't think about how little the round drops. I guess I could just have it regulated for 100yrds as I'm not going to shoot on live game with open sights much further than that.

PS I'm in the UK so my sights might have to come from some place like Rigbys as there are very few guys that have the kit to do it

Here's a photo of my scout next to a coin I shot…..

giant-stone-coins-of-yap-6.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
So, you're in the BIG money.

images.jpeg

Thats the size of a 50 pence coin. Also I can get all the Recknagel stuff in the UK.

I've never had my Talley QR mounts fail or lose zero even when pounded by the recoil of my 500 Jeffery, but I've only had them for about seven years. And to agree with you, I've only had one scope fail, it was a cheap Redfield Tracker that had been on my 270 and had endured over a thousand days hunting in the field. I have a spare identical scope (Leupold 1.5-5x) for my 500 Jeffery in the same Tallery QR mounts also sighted in I keep in a soft case trying to be ready for anything. Good advice on the mounts and a torx wrench too!
You actually have one brand I would stand behind. Talley is super tough and relatively well priced as well. Appreciate your comment on the tore wrench... I just always though, "how fast could I wrench them off if needed?" Answer: pretty damn fast.
Take care,

I have some good old European QD claw mounts. They always go back to zero or within 1/4 moa

Just out of curiosity, how many people know of someone with a premium scope in good quality mounts that failed or was irreparably damaged while on safari?

@PHOENIX PHIL had it happen. Might not happen often, but it definitely does.

I have some good old European QD claw mounts. They always go back to zero or within 1/4 moa

my favourite mounts. never had a problem with them on .300 win mag , .416 rigby or 9.3x74r. fast and easy to take the scope of and on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LawerenceV

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross