EXPLAIN: Boxlock vs Sidelock

Modern doubles rifled barrels are often made with fake side lock plates to all allow for more engraving these days (it's the look).

On true traditional side locks more wood is cut away to fit the action, in Africa conditions with heat and damp these tended to crack.

Most modern doubles though have the fake plates but it's still a box lock, they seem to be the more reliable design.

Simply put it is a:

A type of action (receiver) for a break-open gun where the lockwork is contained within a box-shaped housing. A boxlock is superior to a sidelock because, although more metal needs to be removed from the action body, less wood needs to be removed from the head of the stock, and wood is generally more vulnerable than metal

As if I know what the last paragraph means wahahaha the rest I do!

My best always

Last edited:
As if I know what the last paragraph means wahahaha the rest I do!

My best always

:E Big Grin: jaco because your double is a weird german over and under thing you are obviousely not capable of making any rational statements regarding double rifles.........when you have come to your sesnses and bought one with the correct barrel configuration s/s then you will be allowed to comment.......:E Devious::A Stirring::E Rofl::D Beers:

Hey spike are you a ford or a Chevy fan?

Hey those are barrels which regulate way better than sxs it's been proven.... And their Ferlach barrels, I don't think the English have built such good barrels in they're entire double or fire arm history.

Could I refer you too the cricket again? ;)

:ROFLMAO: :sick::whistle:

Last edited:
A friend of mine once said ... If you can't afford a Ford, dodge a Dodge and buy a Chevy!:D :cool: :)

Boxlock

boxlock-lockwork-within-the-box-pivot-points.jpg

boxlock-receiver-12.jpg

Sidelock
sidelock-cad-for-gazette.jpg

lockwork-from-sidelock-with-names.jpg

If it can help.

peninsula lock.jpg
A peninsula lock actually contacts the action.
An island action is inleted into the wood only
island lock.jpg

On hammerless actions side plated actions are box locks with fake plates making them appear like sidelocks.

Since so many have elaborated here (great work) there is another lock type to mention.

The Germans and Austrians use an action that looks like a boxlock but is totally unrelated known as a Blitz action. This type and dozens more are seen on double rifles, drilling sans vierlings. (2-3-4 barrels respectively)

Anyone have pictures of German locks to share with the group?

The Hallowell link...was just going to share that (wonderful images, illustrating various gun-making terms).

The ultimate in lockwork? The Beesley self-opening action (a sidelock incorporated by Purdey for 130-140 years now).

When it comes to variants, of either form of lock (side or box...ejectors, too), the number is enormous. I've seen almost everything a person can imagine.

When it comes to strength, properly-made, any is up to the task. It's more a question of what you can afford.

"The key to making Beesley’s action work is to make all the shapes right. There are so many inter-related movements, each reliant on the previous one being as smooth and balanced as possible, that stiffness from poorly shaped or angled parts will magnify the difficulty of moving them all. The Atkin ejector system does seem to allow the whole operation to feel a little smoother.

This is really why Purdey and Atkin models are offered by so few firms. To be able to make one, you really have to be fabulously skilled and the work has to be carried on without cost-cutting on labour or materials. They are expensive to make. If you make one badly it will be horrible. Make one perfectly and there is not a better game gun in the world. It will function beautifully and faultlessly for generations, despite its complexity."

Taken from the site posted above.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlineDu

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross