Exit wounds - Something went wrong or does it make sense???

EDD

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SAGA
Came across a warthog facing me at around 120 meters, used a branch of a tree nearby to steady my aim. Took a breath, settled the cross hairs on the pigs chest, exhaled half of my breath & squeezed the trigger. Boom!!! The pig went down... Happy with the shot & my good luck I approached the fallen animal but got a big surprise upon reaching the pig. It was dead alright but the 300gr bullet of the 375 H&H had created a massive exit wound taking almost all of the intestines with it.... I have had no problems in the past with this regard & have hunted many pigs & plains game with this combination (300gr Barnes TSX @ 2450fps)

Hunted another two pigs during the course of the the day & had two clean through & throughs...
What went wrong??? Any advise would be appreciated...

IMG_20140321_073030.jpg

My guess is that the bullet broke off larger bone parts that turned into secondary projectiles.
Once I experienced this with a Roe deer that I hit in the spine with a round nose solid from my 6.5-06. The bullet smashed the spine and the bone parts tore a exit hole that was a bit larger than my fist.

Another explanation could be that the bullet for some reason tumbled inside the animal because you hit something before the pig, but I think my first guess is more likely.

How did the entrance wound look like?
How did it look like inside the pig when you gutted it?

With Norwegian on this one, possibly a portion of hip, not sure but you would be able to pick this up when slaughtering....

Other possibility might be that your projectile hit a small obstacle (little twig/grass) before connecting with your target, not enough to throw it of course due to the close proximity to your quarry (as we know that deflection increases with distance).. but possibly enough to send your round into a bit of a tumble....

What did your entry wound look like.... with a heavy projectile like your 375, i would expect to still get the penetration especially on the size hog in the picture, but with a dramatic exit wound as seen in your pic.

I have experienced this on my 375 not on warthog but on bushpig (in corn)

My best always

Nothing went wrong.
Unless you were thinking or making a tenderloin sandwich.

You have a dead animal.
So nothing went wrong
Plus the bullet started the gutting process.
That is a win-win deal. :)

Norwegian & Jaco entrance wound was normal.... Found no bone fragments during slaughtering but did see a little knick on the spine, maybe that caused it....? Guese Divernhunter & Brickburn is right, one shouldn't complain about a one shot kill... Thanks for your expert opinions gentleman!

Chances are that your bullet/projectile then started to go haywire/tumble after nicking the spine and caused the excessive exit wound... All and all you should be happy. :)

My best always...

Chances are that your bullet/projectile then started to go haywire/tumble after nicking the spine and caused the excessive exit wound... All and all you should be happy. :)

My best always...

I agree.

watermark.php

This Warthog was shot twice with a 404 Jeffery. Once on the first day of a 10 day hunt, then finally on the last day.

On the first occasion we witnessed a small scrub in front of the pig flatten as the Warthog ran off. After hearing a very load bullet hitting something report. Blood trail ran out just as did the light after 3 hours.

On the last day he was found again in the same place, actually he was caught increasing the Warthog population. Shows how tough African game is. Obviously a full recovery in 9 days?

We believe he was hit in the rump with a sideways bullet from a deflection. No projectile was found inside the carcass. The first wound healing over. The eventual kill shot was though the neck. A clean entry/exit cutting the main plumbing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Came across a warthog facing me at around 120 meters, used a branch of a tree nearby to steady my aim. Took a breath, settled the cross hairs on the pigs chest, exhaled half of my breath & squeezed the trigger. Boom!!! The pig went down... Happy with the shot & my good luck I approached the fallen animal but got a big surprise upon reaching the pig. It was dead alright but the 300gr bullet of the 375 H&H had created a massive exit wound taking almost all of the intestines with it.... I have had no problems in the past with this regard & have hunted many pigs & plains game with this combination (300gr Barnes TSX @ 2450fps)

Hunted another two pigs during the course of the the day & had two clean through & throughs...
What went wrong??? Any advise would be appreciated...

View attachment 26265
@EDD
Had the same thing happen lots of times with my 444 Marlin with front on or slightly angling shots. Blows half the intestinal tract Thu a hole you could put your head in.
My 25 does the same on Smaller game or completely disassembled the animal.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.