Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA, RMEF
Hunted
US (Utah, Arizona, Idaho, Colorado, Nevada. Canada (British Colombia), South Africa (Eastern Cape)
Here is a question for those of you that live across the pond that have come over here to the US to hunt.

What did you do in the states that require you to have a hunter education card before you purchase a license?

This question came up on another forum that I am on and the hunter is from the UK and wants to hunt elk someday either here in Colorado or Wyoming where both states require a hunter education card before you can purchase a license. I know that Colorado's requirement is if they are born before Jan 1, 1949 but am not quite sure just what Wyoming's regulation is but I thought that I would ask and see what hunters have used here in the US.

In WY no hunter safety card if born before 64. I believe their are on-line hunter safety courses........ Bruce

I just used my hunter Ed instructor number in the CDOW system. For many years there were no registered numbers for people who had taken the course here.

Here is a example of what I meant in my post:

A chap from England decides that he want to hunt a bull elk here in Colorado or Wyoming.
In order for him to put in for the tag or hunt he need a hunters education card that is recognized here in the states. Lets also just say that he was born in 1970 which means that he needs the hunters ed card in either state.
What if anything would he have in England that he could use that is accepted here?

This made me curious so Ive been researching

And so far I cant find a universal solution

I do find every state honors other states Hunter Safety cards, but I have not found the solution for non US resident wanting to hunt here.

I can't speak specifically about England, but most of the European countries where I know hunters have hunter education requirements that far exceed anything required in the U.S, that I am aware of. In Germany it takes many months and can be quite expensive. I don't know why they couldn't send a copy of their country's card to the license issuing agency.

I THINK Louisiana offers a straight internet course to get the hunter's ed card (at least that's what I have been told). Someone could do that and get certified if it's true from across the pond without stepping foot on US soil before they come to hunt.

I think his best bet would be to take one that is offered on line!

The hunter that I was asking this question about is from England so I believe that he has it covered.

He is interested in hunting Colorado or Wyoming and both states simply state that he must have a approved hunter education card. I have never been asked for mine in all the years that I have hunted Colorado but they also require for you to carry in on your person while hunting unless they have verified it in which case they tag your license that it has been verified.

So in the long run I was just wondering what others have done. We always think of going elsewhere to hunt but never of a hunter coming to the US to hunt.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
goldpatnners

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,