AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Botswana, Namibia, South Africa, Tanzania, Zimbabwe
Another one of the "old timers" has gone.

Having been out of the country I am way behind on my email but just found his obituary.

Bwana Balson was our game warden in southern Tanzania in the late 1960's. He was a great hunter and conservationist. He wrote two books that were published by Safari Press. The first book tells how the second largest elephant (Rowland Ward) was taken.

On Safari With Bwana Game - Trade Edition: Eric Balson: Amazon.com: Books

More Safari With Bwana Game, (Ltd, L)-Safari Press

After leaving as head of anti-poaching in Tanzania in 1971, he wrote another book that named all the names involved in the elephant and rhino trade in Tanzania and Kenya. No publisher would publish it unless he removed the politically sensitive names (all the names were politically sensitive) He refused. Sadly it will be lost to history.

The hunting community, nature and wildlife have lost a friend.

Tu ta onana tena mzee.

BALSON, Eric Walter
Wednesday, 05 March 2014 10:13 Jay S | ThreeHillsCapital.com

Eric Balson

Eric Walter Balson was born in Nairobi Kenya on August 22nd, 1930. Eric's early working years were spent as a surveyor for the adventurer/explorer Col. Ewart Grogan in Kenya and Uganda. (Grogan, from 1897 to 1900 walked from Cape to Cairo to prove his had 'prospects' in order to marry his love Gertrude). Eric then went to Tanganyika working for the British Overseas Service in Tanganyika with the Water Development and Irrigation Department (WD&ID) designing and constructing Dams. There he married Viva and had three sons: Alan, Steven and Kenneth. In 1962 he transferred to the Game Department and became Chief Game Warden. Eric was one of the pioneers of anti-poaching in now Tanzania. In 1970, Eric was awarded Conservationist of the Year for his anti-poaching work by Muzuri Safari Club of San Francisco. In 1972 he moved his family to Zambia. Eric started a National Park with Wildlife Conservation International in the Lower Zambezi from scratch, now known as the Zambezi National Park - doing well to this day! He moved on to Botswana Game Industries before being offered a post with the Food & Agriculture Organization (FAO) of the United Nations working as an advisor in Nepal in the Terrai Valley of Chitwan National Park. He transferred to Papua New Guinea, still with U.N. where he managed a Crocodile Project. In 1981 Eric moved to the private sector running a Game Farm in Namibia, and then managed a Game Reserve in Mozambique. He retired to Canada in 1994, and settled in Linden Alberta. Eric worked for Monsanto on a hog farm, and later became curator of the animal exhibit at the Museum in Sundre. He also arranged and conducted Wildlife Tours to Tanzania National Parks until his final year. Eric was a collector of art and artifacts and wrote two books of his wildlife years (available in Sundre Museum). He spoke much of his favourite recurring client Prince Bernhard of the Netherlands. He enjoyed bow hunting, and his annual stint of carp fishing in Saskatchewan. Eric and Viva were married 58 years. Son Kenneth passed away of cancer in Copenhagen on May 28th, 2013. Eric passed away in Three Hills Hospital February 22nd 2014. Rest in Peace - Bwana. Condolences may be sent to condolences@sunsetltd.ca. Eric's wishes were that no service be held.

Last edited:
I read his first book and enjoyed it.

RIP

Another one of the "old timers" has gone.

Having been out of the country I am way behind on my email but just found his obituary.

Bwana Balson was our game warden in southern Tanzania in the late 1960's. He was a great hunter and conservationist. He wrote two books that were published by Safari Press. The first book tells how the second largest elephant (Rowland Ward) was taken.

On Safari With Bwana Game - Trade Edition: Eric Balson: Amazon.com: Books

More Safari With Bwana Game, (Ltd, L)-Safari Press

After leaving as head of anti-poaching in Tanzania in 1971, he wrote another book that named all the names involved in the elephant and rhino trade in Tanzania and Kenya. No publisher would publish it unless he removed the politically sensitive names (all the names were politically sensitive) He refused. Sadly it will be lost to history.

The hunting community, nature and wildlife have lost a friend.

Tu ta onana tena mzee.

BALSON, Eric Walter
Wednesday, 05 March 2014 10:13 Jay S | ThreeHillsCapital.com

Eric Balson

Eric Walter Balson was born in Nairobi Kenya on August 22nd, 1930. Eric's early working years were spent as a surveyor for the adventurer/explorer Col. Ewart Grogan in Kenya and Uganda. (Grogan, from 1897 to 1900 walked from Cape to Cairo to prove his had 'prospects' in order to marry his love Gertrude). Eric then went to Tanganyika working for the British Overseas Service in Tanganyika with the Water Development and Irrigation Department (WD&ID) designing and constructing Dams. There he married Viva and had three sons: Alan, Steven and Kenneth. In 1962 he transferred to the Game Department and became Chief Game Warden. Eric was one of the pioneers of anti-poaching in now Tanzania. In 1970, Eric was awarded Conservationist of the Year for his anti-poaching work by Muzuri Safari Club of San Francisco. In 1972 he moved his family to Zambia. Eric started a National Park with Wildlife Conservation International in the Lower Zambezi from scratch, now known as the Zambezi National Park - doing well to this day! He moved on to Botswana Game Industries before being offered a post with the Food & Agriculture Organization (FAO) of the United Nations working as an advisor in Nepal in the Terrai Valley of Chitwan National Park. He transferred to Papua New Guinea, still with U.N. where he managed a Crocodile Project. In 1981 Eric moved to the private sector running a Game Farm in Namibia, and then managed a Game Reserve in Mozambique. He retired to Canada in 1994, and settled in Linden Alberta. Eric worked for Monsanto on a hog farm, and later became curator of the animal exhibit at the Museum in Sundre. He also arranged and conducted Wildlife Tours to Tanzania National Parks until his final year. Eric was a collector of art and artifacts and wrote two books of his wildlife years (available in Sundre Museum). He spoke much of his favourite recurring client Prince Bernhard of the Netherlands. He enjoyed bow hunting, and his annual stint of carp fishing in Saskatchewan. Eric and Viva were married 58 years. Son Kenneth passed away of cancer in Copenhagen on May 28th, 2013. Eric passed away in Three Hills Hospital February 22nd 2014. Rest in Peace - Bwana. Condolences may be sent to condolences@sunsetltd.ca. Eric's wishes were that no service be held.
Ron, Kerry, Eric, Im 1987.png

L-R: Ron Kidson, Kerry Curtis, Eric Balson, Ian Manning. Africa Safari Day, Kloof, Natal 1985.

Here is Eric in 1985 at Cathlin's and my home in Kloof with great friend Ron Kidson - founder of Zambia Safaris (now 92 and living near Kloof); Kerry Curtis - a Zambia Safari shareholder; Eric; and me. The four of us had just decided to start up an ecosafari-type operation on my old patch in Bangweulu, where Eric had once visited Cathlin and me in 1974, later establishing the International Game Park - now called the Lower Zambezi National Park. Eric and I then went back up to Bangweulu and built a basic camp with kitchen and chitenje, saw my old friend, Chief Chiundaponde, who gave me the island where we had built the camp. However, Kerry - the main shareholder - had a change of mind about the investment. I stayed on in Zambia and attempted to save the remaining rhino - a hundred or so left. This effort also failed.

As mentioned, Eric had headed up the anti-poaching in Tanzania, leaving the post in 1971. He wrote it all up in a book called Animal War. It's not missing. I have it. Viva sent it to me in June 2017. I will start the publishing process soon and let everyone know when it is done.

Eric writes under the heading AUTHOR'S NOTE: "This is a true record of events that actually took place. All characters mentioned are authentic and bear their own names."

This is excellent news as the book without the names would lose its rigour. I have done the same for my God's Country. In his PREFACE, Eric writes, "I am writing of the short period between 1968 and 1974 when commercial poaching was at its peak. During this period, I was recalled from retirement by the Tanzanian government to establish the first effective anti-poaching unit in that country, working from Arusha."

View attachment 403498
L-R: Ron Kidson, Kerry Curtis, Eric Balson, Ian Manning. Africa Safari Day, Kloof, Natal 1985.

Here is Eric in 1985 at Cathlin's and my home in Kloof with great friend Ron Kidson - founder of Zambia Safaris (now 92 and living near Kloof); Kerry Curtis - a Zambia Safari shareholder; Eric; and me. The four of us had just decided to start up an ecosafari-type operation on my old patch in Bangweulu, where Eric had once visited Cathlin and me in 1974, later establishing the International Game Park - now called the Lower Zambezi National Park. Eric and I then went back up to Bangweulu and built a basic camp with kitchen and chitenje, saw my old friend, Chief Chiundaponde, who gave me the island where we had built the camp. However, Kerry - the main shareholder - had a change of mind about the investment. I stayed on in Zambia and attempted to save the remaining rhino - a hundred or so left. This effort also failed.

As mentioned, Eric had headed up the anti-poaching in Tanzania, leaving the post in 1971. He wrote it all up in a book called Animal War. It's not missing. I have it. Viva sent it to me in June 2017. I will start the publishing process soon and let everyone know when it is done.

Eric writes under the heading AUTHOR'S NOTE: "This is a true record of events that actually took place. All characters mentioned are authentic and bear their own names."

This is excellent news as the book without the names would lose its rigour. I have done the same for my God's Country. In his PREFACE, Eric writes, "I am writing of the short period between 1968 and 1974 when commercial poaching was at its peak. During this period, I was recalled from retirement by the Tanzanian government to establish the first effective anti-poaching unit in that country, working from Arusha."

Ian that will be an interesting book to read...

View attachment 403498

Ian,

It is interesting to learn of your history with Eric. Is Viva doing well? I never knew her personally and have not communicated with her since giving her my condolences. Our families relationship was with Eric, who would stop by to see my father when he was making rounds in the bush or we would see him in his office in Mbeya.

I am glad you have the Bwana's book and are publishing it. The world needs a written history of the post independence ivory and horn trade. Please let me know when it is available.

All the best and thankyou for adding to the Bwana's memory.

Reactions: WAB
Wheels,

Good to hear of your connection with Eric. When I came on Eric's bio I went in search of his unpublished book, contacting Viva. She ran it to ground and then sent it to me. That was four years ago! I will now write to her and let her know the process has started. I will then report back.

Ian,

So glad you took the initiative to get the Bwana's book. Happy you have the manuscript and are working on it. Looking forward to the read. The story with all the names needs told.

Please give my warmest salaams to Memsahib Viva. Let her know a toto from Chimala wanted to grow up to be just like the Bwana and remembers him fondly and often.

I will send a pm.

image.jpg

this post was good inspiration to re read the book “More Safaris With Bwana Game” would be fun to add another of his writings to my library. I hope your efforts work out!

I heard from Viva, who asks," Who is the toto from Chimala? I wonder. ...say Jumbo..."

Of Eric's books, she says, "Safari Press in California printed two books by Eric "On Safari with Bwana Game ''and "More Safaris with Bwana Game ".The first one - of two publications - is out of print. Of which I have only one copy. I think they may have some copies of the first printing of the second More Safaris with Bwana Game."

It sounds like these books need a re-print.

593FB221-3563-4873-BC49-1620ED630806.jpeg

Thanks for your post-I was able to find his first book, signed and numbered for a reasonable price. Fun to add to
My collection and excited to read it-

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
snowlimitless

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross