Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
OFAH, DSC
Hunted
South Africa, Canada, USA
Hi all,

I thought I would share a little work I had done on my A-Bolt. This rifle is a 25th anniversary version with an octagonal barrel. Browning has an advertised bolt engraving service. I called the number and left a message with the automated system....8 months later I decided to try a gunsmith. I was referred by The Gun Dealer in NB (great guys) to Lemieux Armuriers in Quebec. I have to say they were fantastic to deal with. It is a small job but puts a nice personal touch on what I consider to be a nice rifle. So, there may be a side benefit to that bolt sleeve! I am curious whether anyone else has added little tweaks to a factory firearm to make it their own?

WP_20140512_009.jpg
WP_20140512_010.jpg

that's wicked , cant say ive ever seen that before , most of the engraving on my firearms is done from walking through the bush ,
but I like what you've done here .

Iv'e had a few bolts jeweled but not engraved

thanks bluey.

I keep finding little dings and scratches; strangely they make me happy. I read once that each scratch is a memento but the problem is I never know where they came from, they just appear!

I agree Rob44 that jeweling is always a nice touch. The Browning ad put the engraving idea in my head. I am glad they never did follow up on my message because I think the work done by Lemiuex is probably much better. I suspect the bolt sleeve on the A-Bolt lends itself to the work easier than a round bolt too.

gday robb
my turn to bite ,mate
whats jewelling?
cant be long now, hey ?

Hi Bluey yea not to far off now thursday afternoon .I managed to get a little more range time and blew thru a crap load of 375 now i have to re-load enough to take with me ,,ever see a bolt or a precision piece of metal that has row after row of circles polished in ,thats jeweling,

righto , ive actually owned a m70 feather weight 22/250 with a bolt like that .
thank you ,mate.

Only modifications I have made to firearms is to lengthen the stalks to ensure they fit.

One day I'll get some tools and make the guns fancier.

righto , ive actually owned a m70 feather weight 22/250 with a bolt like that .
thank you ,mate.
I also have a 22-250 bought in pieces,started off life as a Mexican Mauser,,that the Guy gave up on ,,a decent going over an aftermarket Trigger and a Nice stock and I have a pretty nice Varmmit rifle

the fe

Pretty cool engraving. Had one of the Octagon barreled Browning in 338Wm for just a few months, it was a beautiful rifle, just didn't shoot a good as it looked.

I found it points beautifully and groups 150gr very well. I am having less luck with 180gr although I suspect that is more my fault than its. Turns out I don't shoot as good as I look either :rolleyes:

Pheroze,

I went through about $220 of different brands and with diffeerent gr. bullets and If memory serves me correctly, best group waas with some Federal 225gr. (which I have had luck with in the past) and it was shooting 3 inch groups at 100yrds. I just gave up. If there was ever a rifle I wanted to shoot good it was that one.

Some folks have good luck with certain brand firearms and some don't, right.?.?

Federal 150.jpg I am very hopeful because it will be hard to find a buyer with the same initials :unsure:lol! This is the picture I have of federal 150gr (I believe Gamekings) at 100 yrds. So, my hope is to find 180gr that will replicate this or better. I tried superformance 180gr interbonds and the groups were larger although I do not have pictures. I tried xp3 180 gr once and I think I was having a bad day because the pattern was wild. I want to get out with some cheaper stuff and just see what I do and go from there.

Try Swift A Frame, Cor Lokt.

I will do, thanks for the advice; I will grab a box of 180 Cor Lokt and see how it patterns. This year is shaping up to be a coyote/deer/moose calf year so I am also trying out the 165gr; trying 125gr for coyote. I doubt I will get a tag for adult moose this year:(. Originally I thought to just stick to one weight for all but I am getting into the variety of weights with this caliber - it feels like the hunting equivalent of a golf bag full of clubs.

that's wicked , cant say ive ever seen that before , most of the engraving on my firearms is done from walking through the bush ,
but I like what you've done here .

:LOL:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThaliaPace

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross