AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life, SCI Life
Hunted
South Africa (Limpopo, Northwest & Eastern Cape), Namibia, Nevada, Newfoundland, Zambia
Hey, guys!

I'm heading out for my first Plains Game hunt with Cruiser in September. I handload and I am prepared to argue how plastic slip-top boxes are "original factory packaging", but I also don't want to complicate things if I don't have to.

Does the SAPS office check ammo? And if they do and object to your packaging, who negotiable is this?

I need three empty, serviceable NOSLER .30-06 boxes. If you have some, please reach out to me and let me know what you want for them.

On a lighter note, I'm hoping to take a Kudu, Gemsbok, Blue Wildebeest and a Warthog. If those, go well, I have an option on an Impala. I had settled on a stout handload with a 200-grain Nosler Accubond that gives me a ragged one whole group at 100 yards. I really don't want to have to do more load development this late in the game, but I'm thinking of switching to a 180-grain Partition.

Thanks for any assistance.

If I'm not mistaken it's the airlines that require original packaging and not SAPS isn't it? I've been through SAPS a half dozen times and never once have they looked at ammo but we've always used a service there too so I suspect that helps. Most airlines are getting smart enough to understand plastic boxes now but that said, we still use factory cardboard boxes for our handloads but I've never really worried that they matched the brand of brass. We did have our ammo counted in Namibia once.

I hunted with Cruiser in 2014; I used a .338 Win. mag to take my Blue Wildebeest. The rest of my game(Gemsbok, Kudu, impala, and cow waterbuck) was taken with my .30-06 and a 200 grain Nosler partition bullet.
I took my .338 ammo in Remington boxes that I saved over the year. .30-06 ammo was in plastic containers (20 rd boxes). I did see one person have their ammo checked at SAPS office, but I think that there were other issues going on as well.
Haven't heard of anyone having problems with plastic packaging.

I think you're over concerned here. All of the descriptions I've seen regarding the packaging of the ammo say in original boxes OR a container designed specifically to hold ammunition. What they want to prevent are loose rounds jostling about and not secured.

Welcome to the site @Vanguard2279 ! Best of luck on your hunt, please post a report and pics when you return.

As Phil mentioned, most just require either/or, and many of us on this site have used the or(in this case an ammo case that designed to hold ammo that you can lock)

I hunted with Pieter at Cruiser last October
Took my ammo in a locked metal ammo box in my checked luggage
It was never checked going over or returning

Thank you for the speedy replies, everyone. I regularly fly with a declared handgun in my luggage when I fly CONUS and I use a plastic box for my handgun ammo. I was just concerned that rules were different when going overseas. I just want to cut down on things that can go wrong.
Worse case scenario, I can obtain .30-06 ammo in SA.
I'm pretty excited to be going after many years of wanting to and I will post a report and pictures when I get back.

Hey, guys!

I'm heading out for my first Plains Game hunt with Cruiser in September. I handload and I am prepared to argue how plastic slip-top boxes are "original factory packaging", but I also don't want to complicate things if I don't have to.

Does the SAPS office check ammo? And if they do and object to your packaging, who negotiable is this?

I need three empty, serviceable NOSLER .30-06 boxes. If you have some, please reach out to me and let me know what you want for them.

On a lighter note, I'm hoping to take a Kudu, Gemsbok, Blue Wildebeest and a Warthog. If those, go well, I have an option on an Impala. I had settled on a stout handload with a 200-grain Nosler Accubond that gives me a ragged one whole group at 100 yards. I really don't want to have to do more load development this late in the game, but I'm thinking of switching to a 180-grain Partition.

Thanks for any assistance.
Welcome to the site!

Thanks for the heart attack!! :eek:;) ( I only have a plastic ammo container in a locked box...)

We had no problems with the plastic boxes and had them marked with the cartridge and load on tags I have from Midway. The Saps office hardy looked at them. No problems from the USA direct to Jberg either. Once in SA we had to take out the ammo box from our checked bag but there was no additional cost for it separate. Just put a name tag on it before leaving home just as you would/should do with your rifle and checked bag. I also put the full flight info/name/address and outfitter info inside the box. I had a lock for each box also. I used a Pelican box for each of us.
Toss in a couple of boxes of extra factory ammo to leave with the PH if you have room and am under the limit with your ammo. They will thank you. Many shoot a 30-06 and use 180gr bullets.

Plastic slip to cases are fine

I advise that you add a label that gives ammo details and tape them shut

This is my 70 rounds of 30-06 handloaded ammo I took over with me....then I dropped both box's into a Pelican 1200 with a TSA lock.....then dropped inside my checked bag locked up with a TSA lock.

No problems

DSCN0103_zps9tnt3wwj.jpg
DSCN0004_zpsbweexp1r.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LashawnHay

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,