Mack

AH senior member
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Hunting reports
Africa
Asia/M.East
Hunted
Hungary, Bulgaria, Romania, Texas, Tajikistan, S Africa, Zim, Philippines, NZ, Aussie, Canada , Alaska, Malaysia, Palau
Hi guys if you have Elephant hair for sale braided into bracelets of just pm pls thnx

I would advise you to be very cautious with any purchase of an elephant hair bracelet by doing some homework beforehand. In years gone by purchasing a genuine bracelet wasn't too difficult. But manufacturing of fake elephant hair bracelets has been growing due to their increased popularity and demand. It is common these days for people to unwittingly purchase a fake rather than the real thing.

Fake bracelets are commonly made from giraffe hair, dried reeds or a synthetic plastic material. You should always burn a small tag end of the bracelet to see if there is the unmistaken smell of hair. That will eliminate the bracelets made from reeds or plastic. Bracelets made from giraffe hair can be a little more difficult. Just remember that elephant hair is very thick and course, while a bracelet made from giraffe hair will be much finer.

One way to be certain your bracelet is genuine is if the hair was removed from the tail of the elephant you hunted.

Last edited:
Mack, I feel I should offer an apology. Perhaps you were already aware of the things mentioned in my above post.

Wouldn't it be illegal in the US to sell any part of your elephant trophy?

CAustin, I think that's a major reason why there are so many fakes on the market today. I believe the general importation of elephant products into CITES member countries is prohibited. Although exceptions for antique manufactured items and art items may exist.

Fortunately you'll have a CITES permit for that sport hunted bull you're going to drop here real soon so you should be fine. The tail hair makes a terrific bracelet, the tail itself is a nice trophy room item, an ear makes a nice map of Africa, the tusks look great on a pedestal or hanging on the wall and after the hide is tanned you'll have enough leather to make boots for a lifetime.

You can't wait, huh?

I have 3 bracelets that Morlen made for me from my first giraffe bull I took at Kanana in Botswana. I'm very fond of them for many reasons, as I have great memories of my first safari in Africa!

Thnx for your inputs

Big5 you are right I can't wait. I just spent the last 2 hours watching Buzz Charltons video on hunting elephant. I'm feeling real good about my 416 and the required shot placement! That tail is going in a shadow box on my den wall. The tusks depending on the length in stands by the fireplace or in cradles on the two fireplace mantels. Those feet are going to make great stools and trash cans!

Excited hell yes! Can't wait he'll no!

CAustin, I topped the feet with zebra hide and have beveled glass tops on them to be used as end tables in my trophy room. There are so many memorable and innovative things you can do with the various keepsakes. I'm sure you'll be seeing what I mean real soon, you lucky devil. It's a terrific hunt for a majestic beast and I'm anxious to hear all about it.

IMG_4977.JPG
IMG_4985.JPG
I know this is over a year and a half ago but is it ok to sell the tail and foot? My buddy gave me a foot (made into a trash can) and a tail. I brought it home and within 5 minutes my wife had it in the garage. Is there a market for these?

View attachment 160326 View attachment 160327 I know this is over a year and a half ago but is it ok to sell the tail and foot? My buddy gave me a foot (made into a trash can) and a tail. I brought it home and within 5 minutes my wife had it in the garage. Is there a market for these?

I wouldn't doubt there's a market for these items somewhere. But my biggest concern would be regarding the legality of selling the items as that would be considered trade in elephant parts. When I say that, I don't mean to say that I know that would not be legal, but I'd get clarification on that issue before I even tried to sell them.

I'll look into that.

It's really a shame. I want to keep them but if u want to keep my wife, they have to go.

I feel even worse for my buddy. He's even selling off his rifles. What a heart breaker.

Haha, what a typo?!! I meant if I want to keep my wife, they have to go. Wow, I hope she doesn't read that!

Haha, what a typo?!! I meant if I want to keep my wife, they have to go. Wow, I hope she doesn't read that!

:D, I didn't get a chance to respond before you caught it!

View attachment 160326 View attachment 160327 I know this is over a year and a half ago but is it ok to sell the tail and foot? My buddy gave me a foot (made into a trash can) and a tail. I brought it home and within 5 minutes my wife had it in the garage. Is there a market for these?

Welcome to AH.

You can probably give them away. As Phil said, selling elephant products, you should probably get legal advise.

Oh man I would love to have these. I have no clue on the legal side of it though.

Not sure about US Customs; I recall a few years ago a celebrity pianist purchased an antique orchestra grand piano. He paid hundreds of thousands of dollars for it. It was located in Europe and was shipped to the US. When it arrived in New York the US customs, no doubt prompted by some animal groups descended on the piano. It had elephant ivory as keys. The owner was required to have the ivory steamed off of the piano, and replaced with plastic. I don't know what happened to the ivory, but I'm sure it wasn't given back to the elephant. Just another sign that the edge of the cliff is not that far away.

Big5 you are right I can't wait. I just spent the last 2 hours watching Buzz Charltons video on hunting elephant. I'm feeling real good about my 416 and the required shot placement! That tail is going in a shadow box on my den wall. The tusks depending on the length in stands by the fireplace or in cradles on the two fireplace mantels. Those feet are going to make great stools and trash cans!

Excited hell yes! Can't wait he'll no!
not to close to the fire charlie,my ph told me they get brittle,also rub them with olive oil.

one of our trackers made us three elephant hair bracelets out of my elephant and we still had plenty of hair left.
003 (3).JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Walkerph

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you