Elephant Pictures - The Magnificent SEVEN - Big Tusker Elephants

A couple of other big bulls posted by TMS

watermark.php

watermark.php

Last edited by a moderator:
TAP - I missed the pictures when you posted them. Must have been a fabulous safari to see all those great animals.

TMS - Are there any stories to go with these elephant photos? Would love to hear them.

Wheels, both these elephant were hunted August/September 2013 on a 2 on 1 21 day safari, Niassa, Mozambique. Rifles used, 416 rigby and 470NE. We drive the roads early morning until we pick up fresh tracks and decide if track is big enough, we usually want a track 22 inches up. On this safari we were after a bull we think will make 100 pounds, seen him earlier in the season, but as luck has it, we never got his track on the safari, when you hunting on 690 000 acres, you need to cover a lot of ground.

Wheels, both these elephant were hunted August/September 2013 on a 2 on 1 21 day safari, Niassa, Mozambique. Rifles used, 416 rigby and 470NE. We drive the roads early morning until we pick up fresh tracks and decide if track is big enough, we usually want a track 22 inches up. On this safari we were after a bull we think will make 100 pounds, seen him earlier in the season, but as luck has it, we never got his track on the safari, when you hunting on 690 000 acres, you need to cover a lot of ground.

Congratulations on these great bulls. Thanks for letting us know some details.

One of my friend sent me that picture.....
Elephant shot in 1976 in Central Africa.

Huge ''DOLI'' shot in the east of the country. I don't know how big !!!! but BIGGGGG...
Looks like a forest elephant...

watermark.php

Christophe

Another spectacular Elephant posted by AH member and outfitter Alex McDonald from McDonald Safaris http://www.mcdonaldsafaris.com in AH Photo Gallery. Thanks!

watermark.php

Elephant ~ Lebombo Foothills, Mozambique
The challenge of following a large elephant bull track and the reward of catching up to him. When you think you are close enough, take a few steps closer and raise iron sights!

Wow! Love this thread, I just scrolled thru the pages quickly and it seems very informative. I know what I'm reading tonight!

I wonder if this elephant is still around?
Im headed to Selous in July and thinking seriously of hunting elephant but only if it was something real special.

Here is a picture from one of our member Shallom. I quote: "Probably the biggest tusker in Tanzania. Here is an Elephant that is a "look but don't touch" tusker in Tanzania. I believe he is the biggest tusker in Tanzania at the moment. Enjoy..."

watermark.php

Wheels, Hope to see some pictures of your Elephant in this thread soon! :)

Wheels, Hope to see some pictures of your Elephant in this thread soon! :)

Jerome,

My elephants don't belong here. These elephants do. I am not sure if I have posted any of these before. If I have sorry for the repost.

watermark.php

The Kilimanjaro elephant. Largest ever. In the British Museum of Natural History.

watermark.php

Usangu Flats Tanzania circa 1960's. What you see when you don't have the $25-$50 or so for an elephant tag.

watermark.php

Murchison Falls National Park Lodge circa 1960's. Sorry for the poor quality. Kodachrome doesn't give you the nice bright colors after 50 years. I believe they were around 150 lbs. Not sure if they survived Idi Amin and others.

watermark.php

Can't remember where this was right now. May have been the Usangu Flats. Not real long but he has nice mass.

watermark.php

Nairobi taxidermy circa 1960's. Not sure the weight of the tusks or even the name of the taxidermy now. I hated this taxidermy for many years. I had shot the co-number one Kirks Dik Dik per Rowland Ward and sent it to them for a shoulder mount. They sent me a different set of horns that was 1/2 inch shorter.

All the best.

Jerome has asked me to post photos of my elephants here. I still don't know that they belong under a heading of The Magnificent Seven but here they are.

watermark.php

watermark.php

Wayne Van Den Berg does a great job of making an elephant look like a mastodon!

They surely belong, thanks for sharing Wheels!

Wheels he's a Beaut! and with the way US F&WS are working against us he is a Mastodon! Congrats my friend.

Wheels, congrats on a magnificent tusker, well done to all involved. :thumb:

I appreciate the kind words Bob and Paul. Thanks.

I would really like to know the story behind this picture. The hunter is dressed like a french army soldier from head to toes; pataugas boots, lizard camo trouser, tropical shirt and indochina hat. Perhaps, a makeshift safari while on a deployment?

One of my friend sent me that picture.....
Elephant shot in 1976 in Central Africa.

Huge ''DOLI'' shot in the east of the country. I don't know how big !!!! but BIGGGGG...
Looks like a forest elephant...

watermark.php?file=33729&size=1

Christophe

A fantastic elephant bull hunted in our Vhembe concession in RSA.

watermark.php

I wonder if this elephant is still around?
Im headed to Selous in July and thinking seriously of hunting elephant but only if it was something real special.
Why is this elephant noy to be touched?

Why is this elephant noy to be touched?

This is not definitive but I believe this elephant lives in either the Ngoro Ngoro Conservation Area or the Tarangire National Park. There is no hunting in those areas.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanMatt

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg