Elephant Hunt with Muzzle Loader

Discussion in 'Muzzleloaders & Black Powder' started by Quinn Kloppers, Mar 22, 2011.

1. Hogpatrol

Hogpatrol BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Senior Member

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI, NRA Life Member, SCCFSA, Atglen SC
    Hunted:
    U.S., Panama, South Africa
    Quinn, Way too much misinformation, disinformation and incorrect or baseless assumptions in this thread to adequately refute in one reply. Please read my email to you, subject line: Smokeless muzzleloading.
  2. Hogpatrol

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    Why use a compound bow instead of a stick bow? What is more sporting? Having to make your first shot perfect or having a bolt gun with four rounds so you can be sloppy because you have three left? I've watched the outfitter videos and the youtube videos on African hunts. Most hunters are LOUSY shots and are a disgrace. I wouldn't hunt wiith ANY of them. I hunted ML in Africa. I killed with the first and only shot. I worked all year to become proficient enough to hunt and kill with ONE SHOT. Bolt gun with 4 or more shots? Why not an autoloader with 20 rounds? Isn't that more "practical"?
  3. enysse

enysse AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
    My two cents: I don't believe muzzleloaders should be shooting smokeless powder, it defeats the purpose.
    And I do hate crossbow hunters hunting achery season unless they have a disability.
    And any 375 H&H and up is a smart idea for BIG GAME.
  4. Hogpatrol

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    Assuming he can push the bullet at 2500 fps, ME would be 4580. I'll leave it up to the PH experts to know if that's enough for an elephant.
  5. A.Sharpe

A.Sharpe BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Veteran

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    USA , including Alaska
    Not to beat a dead horse. We all have our opinions here and probably will not change each others here.
    The original question was can a muzzle loader be capable of taking an Elephant? I'd say yes. With a smokeless powder gun it wouldn't be a problem for the weapon.
    From what I understand. primitive weapons season is to give the bow hunters and BP guys a fair chance at game before they become ultra alert as deer do as the season goes on. Realistically a 100 to 150 yd shot is a long shot with a T/C Hawken. 60 to 80 is extreme for a compound bow. (I know their are master marksmen who can make longer shots) If you bring in smokeless rifles where 200 and 250+ are realistic kill ranges , why even have a primitive season? That being said "I'd still love to have a ..50 cal Double rifle muzzleloader that would use smokeless powder."
  6. sestoppelman

sestoppelman SILVER SUPPORTER AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NRA, NA Hunt Club
    Hunted:
    Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia, South Africa (2)
    We seem to be arguing apples and oranges here. Why not this, why not that? We are all happy you you took your ML to Africa and did well, no problem. Was it BP or smokeless, just curious. Point is as I said earlier, in some if not most states using smokeless in a ML would not be legal during ML or primitive season, that is the point of them, to use the more primitive weapon or method. Other countries, who knows? I assume it would be fine in any African country provided the outfitter/PH was happy with the performance of gun and shooter. Have at it. I dont think anybody using a bolt action repeater goes hunting with the thought, "if I am sloppy and screw up I have 3 more rounds!". Thats an unfair characterization of a large group of hunters. How about this? You hunt with your chosen weapons, and I and everybody else will hunt with theirs, wherever it is LEGAL. That way all are happy.:cool: