Electrical converter

Discussion in 'Before & After the Hunt' started by Mr. 16 gauge, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Mr. 16 gauge

Mr. 16 gauge New Member

Hello all;
    We (my wife and I) are planning on doing our first trip to South Africa this summer. It is my understanding that we need an electrical converter for our appliances (hair dryer, computer, etc). I have been told by some that the some of the converters that say "South Africa" really aren't for South Africa, and wont work:(
    We ran into a similar situation in the U.K. on our honeymoon; the converter we bought burned out/broke the first time we used it, and we ended up having to buy electrical appliances.
    Can anyone recommend a good converter, one that they know to be S.A. friendly? Also, I plan on taking a battery charger and some rechargeable batteries for things like my flashlight, cameras, etc. How many batteries do you think I might need?
    Thanks a bunch in advance.............
  2. Blue Skies Hunting Adventures

Blue Skies Hunting Adventures AH Enthusiast

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI, RMEF
    Hunted:
    Limpopo, Eastern Cape,Natal
    South Africa uses 230-240 volts so you will need a converter. You can try megallans and search for plug H.
  3. Diamondhitch

Diamondhitch AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    Canada (AB, SK, NWT, BC) USA (NM, TX) South Africa (Limpopo, KZN, Free State, Eastern Cape, Northen Cape), Kyrgyzstan
  4. AfricaHunting.com

AfricaHunting.com FOUNDER AH Ambassador

My Photos:
  5. Cliffy

Cliffy AH Elite

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    Hunted Zim, RSA (2), Namib(2), going again, Calif, Oregon, Arizona, Texas, Virginia, Idaho, South Dakota, Montana, Nevada, MO
    As usual, Jerome has all the best information right at his finger tips, right here on AH.
  6. Diamondhitch

Diamondhitch AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    Canada (AB, SK, NWT, BC) USA (NM, TX) South Africa (Limpopo, KZN, Free State, Eastern Cape, Northen Cape), Kyrgyzstan
    Theres aloooot of info on here.