AH legend
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
united state- Co Nm Mt Wy Pa , canada ,mexico ,south africa- Northwest, Limpopo, freestste.Northern cape,East cape, namibia
Eland will be one of the animals on the list for the next hunt.I am wondering when the eland get that big tuff of hair on there face.Looking at pictures some have it more then others.Is this a seasonal thing or a sign of the bull getting fully mature when they get this.If it is seasonal when does it happen and for how long.

I am wondering when the eland get that big tuff of hair on there face.

Bill, the fur on the forehead and the dewlap on the throat are a sign of maturity, and become more pronounced with age.

that is a sign of an old bull. That's where the trophys at buddy. My free range zim livingstone eland last year had worn his horns down to only 30 inches and had taken the ridge completely off but his tuft of hair and dulap were huge. he was also quite blue from age and loosing his hair and had muscle like an eland on roids. This for me was the true trophy.

watermark.php

Last edited by a moderator:
It comes down to maturity also note that they wear down their horns quite a bit as they get older. I would say that the Livingstone Eland do have bigger tufts in some cases.

Tap very nice bull!;)

Here are two very special bulls we took last year:
DSC00352.JPG
IMG_0069.JPG

Best Regards
Louis van Bergen

an sci book trophy hunter would say louis' eland are poor animals and lack quality. However a seasoned safari hunter will see those animals for what they are. the trophy in an eland in my books comes in an animal that is fully mature and has horns at or under 30". theres so much character in the body, neck, coloration, tuft of hair and broomed horns that long horns will never make up for. I've personally passed on many livingstone and cape eland both where the bulls were in excess of 41". The problem was that the bodys were anything but impressive and I was not tempted in any way to shoot. My ph's at the time didn't understand but those animals that Louis posted is what you are after. The only thing I like more is a bull that is totally blue. They call them blue bulls and they are extremely difficult to find. You will note that the body on my Livingston is blue but the rear and neck aren't. This bull was the culmination of passing eland for the last 7 years straight. Im still looking for that completely blue bull and that may never happen which is a good thing because it keeps the dream alive and adrenaline high each time I go back to the dark continent. long live that dream and god willing I will never find that completely blue eland. I love having a dream to keep the hunting spirit alive and well.

Tap I could not agree more!

The big problem with eland are they take forever (up to 14 years at least) to get to the stage were the horns are warn down to nubs and tuft looks like a thick brush.

Tap keep chasing that dream...... love it!

Best Regards
Louis van Bergen

Thanks for all that info guys.I want to hunt one but this is tops on my sons list so he will have first try.We will be looking for old with worn down horns for sure.Those long horned bulls dont look near as nice or as impressive as the ones in the pictures above.I am guessing with what tony and louis have said eland go on the hunt list but will never know when it could be taken and can never be passed if seen.Sounds like the bull we want maybe as hard as a 60" kudu to have a chance at.

Check this one out guys. HUGE body, worn down horns, what an old warrior. Not a record book bull but he adorns a special place in my trophy room!

101_0153.jpg

Some great pictures of mature eland bulls!

Yes thank guys the pictures all really help me with my itch to get back.LOL Those are showing for sure what we want to look for.Hell who ever thought one would be that big like in tony pic to almost hide him.;) Just had to buddy could not help myself.There is hope you shoot a big bull elephant and pose behind it we wont have to see that face.LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SungHiggin

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg