Eland Hunting

GAM

Reaction score
Hunted
South Africa and Zim
I'm hunting eland in August with a 30-06. Any suggestions or comments about using this caliber on this size animal? Any bullet suggestions?

Bullet suggestions:

Conventional bullets either a North Fork or Swift in a 180 Grain bullet
Monometal: Barnes TSX in at least 165 Grain

Comments:
As you know eland are BIG. Hit them right and they die, poor shot placement you will be tracking one for many many hours. Many have been killed with .308s, 7 by 57s, 30-06s and other smaller rounds. My preference is at least a .338 with premium bullets.

Enjoy your hunt, August is almost here!

Hello and welcome to AH.
A 3006 would take down an eland just fine. I would go for a bit heavy bullet, maybe a 200 grains of some bonded kind. Maybe a trophy bonded or a norma oryx. Another ones are good old nosler partition or speer deep curl.
The main things are shot placement and premium bullets.

Hi GAM
I have used my 30-06 a number of times on Eland a good bullet and shot placement that's all, i did use 220gr sierra round nose bullet, i am not sure if they are still around, they did work very well for me.
Happy hunting

Gam,
Also going in August to Lepalali, have a 375 H&H. going to use the 270gr Impala monolithic on an Eland if I am lucky to find him. This is round 2, our paths never crossed last year, could not find him!

A good 180 grain bullet. Go for something premium. Swift A, E-tip, TSX, Partitions...etc.

Thanks for the advise. I'm thought it would be OK but it's nice to get confirmation. I'm using a Remington 180 Ultra Bonded bullet. I've had really good luck with then on other African game.

Da Mamba, good luck. I can relate. I've been chasing a Kudu for a number of years. It's always something that keeps that special trophy in the bush...

Good luck on your hunt. Tell us how the 06 worked.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaniaMorfo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!