Edward Matunas's Ruger Express 375 H&H

Andrews

AH member
Reaction score
Media
First of all, this is an awesome forum. Anytime I need advice on any caliber or hunting question, i search here and never leave disappointed. Now I need help. I recently picked up a Ruger Express RSM in 375 H&H. The rifle supposedly was owned by Ed Matunas and used on one of his African safaris. The rifle came with a signed copy of his book, Modern African Adventures, serialed number to the rifle. It is the rifle he is holding on the cover. I would like to know more about Matunas. Searches dont really reveal to much. Id love to hear about personal experiences, hunting trips, etc. Any info on the rifle is also greatly appreciated. I will post pictures tomorrow.

Welcome to AH, Andrews !

First of all, this is an awesome forum. Anytime I need advice on any caliber or hunting question, i search here and never leave disappointed. Now I need help. I recently picked up a Ruger Express RSM in 375 H&H. The rifle supposedly was owned by Ed Matunas and used on one of his African safaris. The rifle came with a signed copy of his book, Modern African Adventures, serialed number to the rifle. It is the rifle he is holding on the cover. I would like to know more about Matunas. Searches dont really reveal to much. Id love to hear about personal experiences, hunting trips, etc. Any info on the rifle is also greatly appreciated. I will post pictures tomorrow.
Ed was my father, he recently passed on. I would be more than happy to talk to you about the rifle or possibly make you an offer on it. Glen Matunas 802 442 7955, battenkillaqua@aol.com

Well i don't think you are going to get any more personal experiences from anyone that Glen won't top
Well done

Welcome to the forum Glen. Condolences on the loss of your father.

Welcome to the both of you!

Welcome to AH.

Sounds like you guys have a bunch to talk about.

It looks like we have a great story for future posts. Only hope it can be shared on the forum!

Didn't Ed work for Winchester or Olin back in the day?

I am 57 and I sure ran across him quite a bit, years ago, during my research. Always found him to be a reliable source of good info.

Owning one of his rifles would be really cool!

Tim

Glen, I am sorry to hear of the death of your father. I have read his articles and books for many years now.
Interesting co-experience. In one of his books, he wrote about shooting in Africa, with a .338 Win Mag, a tensed up animal-a warthog I believe. When he shot, it was like a spring going off and the animal flew through the air. At the time, I thought maybe Ed was stretching the truth a little.
On my trip to Africa some years back, I sighted in on a tensed up wart hog at 70 yards or so. When I fired (.35 Whelen-250 grain Nosler Partition @ 2586 fps) the wart hog flew back 3 feet, flew up in the air about 18", did a 180 in mid-air, and landed on his back. I immediately thought of Ed and voiced a silent apology for my disbelief of his story.
Again, my condolences to you and your family.

Didn't Ed work for Winchester or Olin back in the day?

I am 57 and I sure ran across him quite a bit, years ago, during my research. Always found him to be a reliable source of good info.

Owning one of his rifles would be really cool!

Tim
Yes he did as Winchester's national sales manager. He also did a lot with Lyman and others as well.

Glen, I am sorry to hear of the death of your father. I have read his articles and books for many years now.
Interesting co-experience. In one of his books, he wrote about shooting in Africa, with a .338 Win Mag, a tensed up animal-a warthog I believe. When he shot, it was like a spring going off and the animal flew through the air. At the time, I thought maybe Ed was stretching the truth a little.
On my trip to Africa some years back, I sighted in on a tensed up wart hog at 70 yards or so. When I fired (.35 Whelen-250 grain Nosler Partition @ 2586 fps) the wart hog flew back 3 feet, flew up in the air about 18", did a 180 in mid-air, and landed on his back. I immediately thought of Ed and voiced a silent apology for my disbelief of his story.
Again, my condolences to you and your family.
Thanks. He rarely embellished on hunting stories. I guess when you do it for your whole life there are enough good stories to go around.

@glen matunas
So am I but I'll pass this on to you... You should have it more than I.

And I have recently acquired one in 416 Rigby, and yesterday picked up from my FFL, a 458 Lott and a very special one in 505 Gibbs. I'm loving these RSM's and WILL one at least one of each caliber.

http://www.gunsinternational.com/Ruger-Magnum-375-H-H-Magnum.cfm?gun_id=100538456

@Andrew We need pictures of that gun!

P.S. I'll post pics of mine on the big bore thread and maybe an RSM and/or 505 Gibbs thread.

@glen matunas
So am I but I'll pass this on to you... You should have it more than I.

And I have recently acquired one in 416 Rigby, and yesterday picked up from my FFL, a 458 Lott and a very special one in 505 Gibbs. I'm loving these RSM's and WILL one at least one of each caliber.

http://www.gunsinternational.com/Ruger-Magnum-375-H-H-Magnum.cfm?gun_id=100538456

@Andrew We need pictures of that gun!

P.S. I'll post pics of mine on the big bore thread and maybe an RSM and/or 505 Gibbs thread.

Thanks for the tip. I have been watching that one as well. I am a looking for a 23" barrel with barrel mounted sling swivel (forward of stock). My collection is all 23" barrel guns. I had a long discussion with my father on this series of rifles. He swore the 23" control round feed models had the most accurate barrels. They were produced in far fewer numbers as well.

Glen thanks for that tip! Is that just in the 375 versions or in the 416 and 458 as well?

Glen thanks for that tip! Is that just in the 375 versions or in the 416 and 458 as well?
All calibers made. I have seen 270, 3006, 300 win mag, 338 win mag, 375 hh, the 16's and the 58's. I believe there may have been others. As much As I would like one of each, the calibers are redundant at best. The hard one to find is 375 HH. If you happen to see one...and the wood is real pretty I will pay a premium.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
propercapsules

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!