Eastern Cape vs. Limpopo

TEX84

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hi Guys--I am new to the site and new to hunting in Africa. I recently hunted in the Limpopo province and took a nice impala and blue wildebeest. Of course, I am already thinking about returning for another hunt but am wondering which province to hunt in.

Can someone explain the main differences between the native animals available in the Limpopo Province and the Eastern Cape Province? From the research I have done, the mainstream species that are native to the Limpopo region include Kudu, Blue Wildebeest, Cape Buffalo, Impala, Waterbuck, Zebra, Eland, Giraffe, Bushbuck, and Warthog. In the Eastern Cape, it looks like you get Kudu, Cape Buffalo, Eland, Blesbok, Bontebok, Springbok, Bushbuck, and Black Wildebeest. I am sure that is an over generalization.

So if I am deciding between Limpopo and the Eastern Cape, and I only want to shoot animals that are native to the region, which animals should I shoot in each Province?

gday tex ,welcome to AH, im sure you'll enjoy the site .
the animals I seen in Limpopo are the same as the animals I seen in east cape .
I cant tell you exactly what animals are indigenious to each province. but in terrain they are worlds apart , and each a challenging area to hunt for various reasons.

This interactive map will provide most of the answers you are looking for.
http://mapservice.environment.gov.za/tomviewer/

Choose the base layer with terrain and landmarks and you'll see what is in Limpopo and EC.
Select one species at a time and it will illustrate the distribution in the various areas.

Have fun.

I think you have the main ones played out already. Besides the more obscure. Vallies, etc.

Welcome to AH. As said before, many of the species are offered in and are indiginous to both areas. Both areas have diffrent types of terrian and landscapes. No matter which one you choose you will be sure to enjoy it. Both are worth hunting;)

I've been to Eastern Cape twice, it seems to have much wider variations of habitat and really beautiful scenery plus the animals you seek. Why not go some place different? The coastline is beautiful and I plan to do a shark dive for great white sharks on my next safari.

I did both on my last trip plus the northwest area.I liked them both alot and hope to do both again.The limpo had bigger kudu for sure and I would say better blue wildbeast also.

The cape to me is great for those also but more about the country you get to hunt.The bushbuck hunting is great and you see some great areas.Then you go the other direction and have wide opened springbuck areas.Has some of the special animals like blue duiker,orbi bonetbuck and more.
I dont think you can go wrong with either place.

Thanks BRICKBURN. That is a very interesting and helpful map.

I guess my point is that I don't want to travel half way around the world to shoot animals that are not in their native habitat. I could go to Texas to shoot all sorts of non-native species.

:E Day Dreaming:Brickburn, stop spreading the word on vaal's....I need to find a giant in the East Cape. They have to grow old some how.:E Shifty:

@enysse try the border of the Eastern Cape on the Drakensberg side, otherwise the Western Cape has a pretty great selection of Vaalie trophies;)

Can't help you on limpopo until next year. The Eastern cape was a wonderful experience for me last May. One advantage to hunting up north is one less flight jnb--> els etc. That translates to another animal. Just my Scottish heritage ;)

This interactive map will provide most of the answers you are looking for.
http://mapservice.environment.gov.za/tomviewer/

Choose the base layer with terrain and landmarks and you'll see what is in Limpopo and EC.

Select one species at a time and it will illustrate the distribution in the various areas.

Have fun.

I think you have the main ones played out already. Besides the more obscure. Vallies, etc.

Thats is like the coolest thing ever, I played with the map and it's super neat! Thank you

Hi Tex84,
Welcome to the forum. The Eastern Cape's terrain varies bit from the Limpopo. The biggest positive of the Eastern Cape over the Limpopo, is Black Mambas. We have none.... :) In the Eastern Cape, we make use of Spot and Stalk, where we glass for game from to mountain tops, and stalk them from there.

Anyways, here is the type of terrain that you can expect around our area in the Eastern Cape:

Here is a deal that we are running at the moment, all with indigenous animals:
http://www.africahunting.com/threads/low-fence-hunt-wingshooting-eastern-cape-2015.18230/

On top of this you could add, Mountain Reedbuck, Cape Bushbuck, Common Duiker, Blue Duiker, Oribi, Caracal, Bontebok to name a few. Should you wish to drop the wing shooting, talk to us, and we can tailor a hunt to your needs.

All the best with your research,

Take Care,
Marius Goosen

Attachments

• IMG_7397_zps38f98837.jpg
    IMG_7397_zps38f98837.jpg
    292.8 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_1984_zps60f30744.jpg
    IMG_1984_zps60f30744.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 208
  • P1020125_zpscb4ad407.jpg
    P1020125_zpscb4ad407.jpg
    292.4 KB · Views: 222
Last edited by a moderator:
Marius that area around the rivers like that looks amazing.I would bet that has some nice bushbuck in it.
Any area with out them dam big big black snakes is good to me.

Hi Tex84,
Welcome to the forum. The Eastern Cape's terrain varies bit from the Limpopo. The biggest positive of the Eastern Cape over the Limpopo, is Black Mambas. We have none.... :) In the Eastern Cape, we make use of Spot and Stalk, where we glass for game from to mountain tops, and stalk them from there.

Anyways, here is the type of terrain that you can expect around our area in the Eastern Cape:

Here is a deal that we are running at the moment, all with indigenous animals:
http://www.africahunting.com/threads/low-fence-hunt-wingshooting-eastern-cape-2015.18230/

On top of this you could add, Mountain Reedbuck, Cape Bushbuck, Common Duiker, Blue Duiker, Oribi, Caracal, Bontebok to name a few. Should you wish to drop the wing shooting, talk to us, and we can tailor a hunt to your needs.

All the best with your research,

Take Care,
Marius Goosen

The EC may not have the mamba but you still have cape cobras and the puff adder which kills far more people. The lesson for me is hunt in the winter when most snakes are hibernating.

The point is that you can still get to hospital should you get bitten by either a Cape Cobra or Puff Adder. Mamba, you're pretty much cooked. Neither one of those two are nearly as venomous as the Black Mamba.
In 16 years of hunting, I've seen one Puff Adder while hunting. Never ever seen a Cape Cobra while out hunting. I'll take those odds.
Strangely enough, I saw that Puff Adder in mid July, which is in the middle of our winter. I wanted to mount him, but he has too many holes.

Eastern Cape people are SO friendly we even thank the ATM when it gives us money!

Yip, No Black Mamba here Mike. The fact that the article still calls it the Transvaal says enough... :) That is the first time I have ever seen the Eastern Cape mentioned for Black Mamba.
Look at the distribution map of that link you posted. Shows no distribution in the Eastern Cape.

Dont know if its just in the areas I hunt, but have had many run ins with Cape Cobra in the EC while hunting. We may lack the Mamba, but we have his friend the tick in great numbers:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JeffreyOKe

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg