Deals & offers
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, APHA
Hunted
Eastern Cape
Hello, I am sorry to possibly sound ignorant here. My question is, if hunting an area where animals are self sustaining and not "put and take", is the hunting any better or worse in June compared to April or May?? The hunting area is 100,000 acres.

Thank you, Kevin

The hunting changes depending on the species sought.
Breeding season, etc.
Also, the cover and weather will be an issue.
Lot's more cover and makes the critters harder to see. H2O is also another factor.
April/May is the start of the "hunting season" in RSA. (Not for a property with a CAE.)

Thank you BrickBurn. Do you personally believe Kudu would be harder to pursue in June then? Also what does CAE stand for, if I may ask? Many thanks, Kevin

CAE = Fenced property where you can hunt year round.

I like to hunt in July and August.
It is drier in July & August and also less cover.

Although I am always attempting to convince myself to hunt in the Kudu rut in May.
On one hand tougher and the other easier.
No perfect recipe.

BrickBurn, I believe you've answered my question perfectly. You see I'm asking this on behalf of a friend. We both have hunted the Eastern Cape in recent years. I hunted in April of last year and my friend in May of this year. We both took Kudu, and many other species including, Nyala, Red Lechwe, Black Wildebeest to name a few. I will be returning next April and he is planning on going back in 16. He is bringing his son as a graduation present. The only problem is, his son graduates in early June. Making an April or May trip unfeasible. He was worried that June being after the rut would prove to be difficult, seeing we both had multiple opportunities on shooter Kudu on our respective trips. If you have been successful in July, I believe this will relieve his mind. Thank you again, Kevin

Last edited:
BrickBurn, I believe you've answered my question perfectly. You see I'm asking this on behalf of a friend. We both have hunted the Eastern Cape in recent years. I hunted in April of last year and my friend in May of this year. We both took Kudu, and many other species including, Nyala, Red Lechwe, Black Wildebeest to name a few. I will be returning next April and he is planning on going back in 16. He is bringing his son as a graduation present. The only problem is, his son graduates in early June. Making an April or May trip unfeasible. He was worried that June being after the rut would prove to be difficult, seeing we both had multiple opportunities on shooter Kudu on our respective trips. If you have been successful in July, I believe this will relieve his mind. Thank you again, Kevin
When we went back in 03 we had ample opportunity on kudu. On a 10 day trip we probably saw 20-30 mature bulls, only targeting them for the first 5 days before we harvested ours and moved to another area where they were less abundant.

It can be done. No need to be scared of June, July or August for Kudu.
Even big ones. :)

End of July
IMG_3790.JPG

Start of July
Canada Day Kudu.jpg

When we went back in 03 we had ample opportunity on kudu. On a 10 day trip we probably saw 20-30 mature bulls, only targeting them for the first 5 days before we harvested ours and moved to another area where they were less abundant.

A lot does depend on how the property is managed.

Those are beautiful BrickBurn. Are those Cape or Southern Greater? Also thank you Joker2400 for the info. Regards, Kevin

Hi @woods1126 , not to repeat what @BRICKBURN has said but I come from an area prolific with Kudu and yes results may vary according to the time of the year but by no means should you base your final decision on it! Its simply a case of changing hunting tactics and going about baggin your quarry in a certain way. For us June/July means cold wet weather in the EC and that means afternoon hunting of kudu (and bushbuck) catching them on the higher slopes facing towards towards the sun as they grab the last rays of warmth before heading down into the valleys for the night. Food plays a huge role and as brickburn mentioned the way the property is managed is a massive indication of this. Poorly managed properties will result in difficult hunts with poor representations of the species and a well managed property will have you bringing back hunting trophies and great memories.
CAE is Certificate of Adequate Enclosure and means the property can be hunted all year round, it doesn't however mean its going to be a well run operation, that will be shown in the service and trophy quality!
I'd worry less about the time of the year and more about keeping your eyes on those buggers while you trying to stalk them!;) You'll have a great time.

All the best
Jono

Sable123, Thank you for your confirmation of BrickBurn's advice. You both are more knowledgeable than I will ever be about hunting Africa. I started late (47 yrs. old). I have alot of catching up to do.
The property we are both returning to is very well managed. I believe the proof of this would be the amount of animals we saw and were not allowed to take even though we thought they were trophies. When finally allowed to take our chosen animals, our expectations were exceeded every time. Thank you again. Kevin

Does not matter when you start learning.
Just keep on learning. I do.

You have received some good advice. One other thing to allow for, if possible, is to hunt during the dark of the moon. Depending on weather and other factors it may not make any difference. Spending that much time and money I prefer to put as many of the odds in my favor as I can. Good luck. Bruce

Thank you gillettehunter, that is something more I was not aware of. I will look to see if there is someplace online that has this info on moon phase for Eastern Cape SA. Thanks again, Kevin

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrittGibb4

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross