East Cape Question- How big are the hills to climb?

Cliffy

AH elite
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Hunted Zim, RSA (2), Namib(2), going again, Calif, Oregon, Arizona, Texas, Virginia, Idaho, South Dakota, Montana, Nevada, MO
OK guys, I've hunted Zim, SA (Limpopo and way NE near Kruger) and Namibia twice. Nothing too mountainous. Now the "little woman" and I are talking of trip #6 and thinking of the East Cape but from what I see it's got a lot of vertical ground to climb. Now that I'm "retired", I find my knees don't bend as good as they did 25 yrs ago so my hill climbing ability is much more limited than a superhuman PH. :)
Any of you guys got some personal experience to pass along in this regard?

Cliffy, my East Cape trip area had no mountains to contend with. You can hunt all bushveld area with ease. I was one hour out of Port Elizabeth. With all the concessions available to the PH/Outfitter they will accommodate your needs.

You did not mention which animals you are looking at for some of them are only found in mountainous areas. If you need to hunt slightly mountainous areas, I reccommend Cho-Pat knee support/brace, they work. I ordered mine on line but some sport stores have them.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"A Dream can be relived, again and again in Africa".

Cliffy, if you look at those hills north of Adelaide EC. (Google Earth) The highest one where Bob was chasing the Vaalis is 2321Metres.
Yes sir, chasing those could cause your knees some issues.
There are lots of places in EC where it is nice rolling terrain.
Ask the Outfitter for sure.

Yep theres as much or as little climbing involved as you want. As stated above discuss this with perspective PHs before booking and you will get just the hunt you want.

My limited experience in Eastern Cape (two hunts): there is flat ground, sloping ground, steep ground and cliffs. The key is there is no time limit in getting up or down any inclines, just go at your own safe speed. When things got a bit dicey, I let my PH (who is 24 y.o) carry the rifle, usually when negotiating the downward track. The big issue, of course, is preparation and walking hills near my home has been very helpful. Having two labradors set the pace is of benefit, too.

I really enjoy the Eastern Cape, be sure to get out to the coast to see that area, too, its beautiful.

My limited experience in Eastern Cape (two hunts)I let my PH (who is 24 y.o) carry the rifle.

Another thing you might want to try. Take along a backpack for your PH to wear. Once there keep filling it with rocks until you can keep up! LOL Let us know how it goes!

My son and I hiked and climbed for 10 days, by choice. The Mountain Reedbuck and Vaal Reedbuck were abundent at the tops 5,000-7,000+ ft up. Good boots are a must! My buddy hunted low during the same trip with bad knees and did fine. Just gotta let your PH know your expectations and ability.

A little late for that great advice!
Another thing you might want to try. Take along a backpack for your PH to wear. Once there keep filling it with rocks until you can keep up! LOL Let us know how it goes!

Attachments

• Hunt Misc (53).jpg
    Hunt Misc (53).jpg
    573.3 KB · Views: 96
A lot of it depends on the species and the specific property hunted.

There were rolling grasslands and rugged terrain. We hunted the rugged stuff from the top and climbed DOWN for stalks.

Problem is...what goes down must eventually come up :)

The EC for us will be just to see another area of Africa and not for a specific species. I like the hunting but we like the experience of another area on the continent. I have rarely ever given over my rifle to the guide or tracker-very rarely, maybe twice on a steep slope. It's a personal thing. The idea of the rocks in the back pack GREAT, as I have already done that-no joke! Many years ago I went on a pack fishing trip with a friend (we're still friends 50 yrs later) over Cottonwood Pass in the high Sierras of Calif near Lone Pine. Top of the pass was I think, around 12,000 ft and then down into the valley to fish for Golden Trout. We camped a couple thousand feet below the pass the first night and in the morning I stuck an 8 pound rock into his back pack that he carried over the top and 12 miles into the wilderness. He was pissed when he found it but it was sure funny to me.

East Cape

Went to the East Cape last year. My PH was 24 yrs old and walked me half to death on the first day. Wouldn't of been so bad, but he didn't bring any water. I had no idea we were going for a 4 hour jaunt up and down the hills. Some places have higher hills and some have lower. I've got a good pic of Thorndale lodge in the East Cape. Not so bad of hills. The 2nd is where we went to hunt Bushbuck. Now if I can get the pics to post.... Just let your PH know what you can do in terms of hiking and hills. They will accommodate. Africa 2011 057.jpgAfrica 2011 090.jpgAfrica 2011 085.jpg

Cliffy,

Got the same issue
Try a product called "Joint Juice" it has worked for me

3 knee ops
too much football, steer wrestling and a grossly miss-spent youth

If I had known I was going to be staying this long I believe I would have taken a little better care of myself

Cliffy,

Got the same issue
Try a product called "Joint Juice" it has worked for me

3 knee ops
too much football, steer wrestling and a grossly miss-spent youth

If I had known I was going to be staying this long I believe I would have taken a little better care of myself

Amen to that LOL

Both knees operated on, both ankles sprained. one broken also. Ya, I kind a beat myself up as a youth also.

Both knees operated on, both ankles sprained. one broken also. Ya, I kind a beat myself up as a youth also.

Seems to be a theme here. I have the same to look foreward to... soon. Congenital bad knees and lots of wear!

Depends what animals you after as mentioned.
We are close to the coast and bit more flat, nothing to worry about .

I'm recovering from a PCL replacement and will hunt in Sept again, to much rugby.

Good luck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MorrisFloc

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg