durable scope rings for heavy recoil

matt85

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
USA, South Africa, and Namibia
so ive got the gun on order (Montana Rifle Company DGR in 505 Gibbs) and the scopes on its way (Leupold VX-6 1-6x24) but now I need an extremely reliable set of rings to secure the two together. I would prefer a set of QD rings but im not sure if they are good idea since that adds one more part that could come loose under heavy recoil. fixed rings wouldn't be terrible since im using a scope with a true 1x power and quick shooting with both eyes open should be easy.

suggestions?

-matt

Last edited:
Hi Matt

Talley QD Rings should be fine, even on a 505 Gibbs. In my experience the levers won't come loose under recoil so long as you orientate them pointing towards each other or otherwise have both facing forward or back (i.e. parallel to the bore). I find myself checking them often in the field anyway. If you are concerned about the levers coming loose you could always use a set of their screw lock rings, but of course you will need a carry torx tool to remove the rings in the field, should you ever want to. No sure if that action is drilled and tapped for 8x40 screws already, but that is what I would want holding the scope bases down on such a calibre.

Looking forward to seeing your report on the new rifle when you finally take delivery.

Matt just remember that the scope is 33mm not 1 inch tube when you order.

Matt
Leupold makes QD rings for the scope.

Talley also makes QD rings for the scope.

Both are good a good set of rings.

The two best ones that I am aware of are eaw or recknagle made in Germany.

X2 on the Talleys

Matt,I have not had much success with QD's . The scope is a 1-6 , I would use warne fixed rings although I do understand the desire to use the big calibers with open sights.

my answer was eventually : will I ever remove a 1-6 scope ... no , I don't think so.

No sure if that action is drilled and tapped for 8x40 screws already, but that is what I would want holding the scope bases down on such a calibre.

my answer was eventually : will I ever remove a 1-6 scope ... no , I don't think so.

both of these statement match my thoughts exactly. the only reason I would need to remove the scope is if the scope failed out in the field. I could easily keep a small torx allen wrench in my hunting pouch just in case the scope broke in the field.

-matt

I know it's a bit off topic and I'm no expert, but are you sure you even want a scope on the 505? My understanding from other more experienced big bore shooters is that once you start getting to the .458 level and higher, scopes start going down and down fast. Just something to think about.

Badger makes some very heavy duty rings for the tactical market. Not pretty, but tough.

Matt, I use Warne QDs on my .375, no issues so far....

I use Talley QD rings on a CZ 550 Safari Magnum in 458 Lott with no issues.

I use Warne QD rings with a bunch of barrels up to 300 Winchester Magnum and they work well. I tried Warne QD rings on a 378 Weatherby Magnum and when the scope was taken off and reattached, the first 2 or 3 shots after that would be off so I went to Warne permanent attached rings which have worked well.

I know it's a bit off topic and I'm no expert, but are you sure you even want a scope on the 505? My understanding from other more experienced big bore shooters is that once you start getting to the .458 level and higher, scopes start going down and down fast. Just something to think about.

its true the risk of a scope failing increases dramaticly with increased recoil, but id like to give it a try. Leupold garantees their scopes can handle heavy recoil and claims the VX-6 are the toughest in their line. if the scope fails, Leupold will fix it and i will move it to a different gun.

-matt

its true the risk of a scope failing increases dramaticly with increased recoil, but id like to give it a try. Leupold garantees their scopes can handle heavy recoil and claims the VX-6 are the toughest in their line. if the scope fails, Leupold will fix it and i will move it to a different gun.

-matt

I agree with this Matt

Talley QR rings work great on my CZ 550 in 500 Jeffery. 400 plus full power rounds so far with zero issues. When removing the scope and putting it back on they come back to within 1/2" POA at 100 yards at least on my rifle

thanks Colorado, that's exactly what I was wanting to hear! if the rings will hold up to those pet loads of yours then I have nothing to fear. (y)

-matt

Talley QR rings work great on my CZ 550 in 500 Jeffery. 400 plus full power rounds so far with zero issues. When removing the scope and putting it back on they come back to within 1/2" POA at 100 yards at least on my rifle

What scope have you been using on your 500? Any breakdowns?

I've been using the Leupold 1.5-5x on my 500 Jeffery. No issues to date. It was recommended to me by the big bore group on another forum. So far it's been great, lots of eye relief, nice heavy duplex reticle, good clarity, no ill effects from recoil so far and a lifetime guarantee. Others on this forum with more experience than I should chime in I hope.

Last edited by a moderator:
colorado you wont find too many people on this forum who have 400 rounds of experience with a scoped 500. few people seem to have rifles this big and even fewer put scopes on them. i think the 500 NE 3" is probably the most common in the 500 family and most dont scope their doubles. (though i could be wrong :cautious:)

personally i dont know why more people dont have bolt guns chambered for the 500 Jeffery and 505 Gibbs. they are much more affordable then a double in 500 NE if you buy a non-custom rifle like the CZ 550 (around $3000) or Montana Rifle Company's DGR (around $2000). custom rifles on the other hand seem to run at about the same price as base model Merkel doubles.

-matt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross