Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Australia/NZ
Member of
SCI, Wild Sheep Foundation, AFGA
Hunted
Tanzania, Namibia, South Africa, New Zealand, Australia, Azerbaijan, Kyrgyzstan, Argentina, Canada, USA, Russia
So what wonderful drinks have you discovered while hunting in Africa? Our PH was a brandy and Coke man on our very first safari in Namibia and since then we've become addicted. We prefer Richelieu but as we can't get it here in Canada, Paarl is a close substitute. A cold Savanna Dry on a hot day is always welcome as is a Castle or Tafel Lager. Some of our favourite red wines are South African as well.

@sheephunterab you've gone aristocratic on us!

Being a Wisconsin hillbilly at heart nothing is better than "sex in a canoe beer" aka "F*ing close to water". Old Style by H.G. Heillemen Brewing of Lacrosse, WI would be the official drink of midwestern rednecks everywhere. (and Cubs fans) In Africa, Castle beer and Golden Pilsner is a really close proxy for the lack of taste, flavor, complexity, body or alcohol content that I've come to love. It's pretty much stagnant water with a bit of carbonation added. Love it!

Back in Bulawayo they made some sort of weird Afrikaan "Rum and Coke" that they mumbled something about "diesel & something' each time they served me. The rum was pureed candy and certainly not safe for people with diabetes and yes, it did taste slightly like diesel fuel...in a good way...like jaegermeister.

Slowly going blind one vat at a time!

Well the brandy and coke sounds really, really nasty. Though I suppose you could at least buy cheap brandy and never know the difference :) The South African and Namibian Lagers are uniformly excellent. All those Dutch and German genes ought to be good for something. I can't say the same for the pride of Mozambique - Manica Beer. About the only positive comment I can make is that it was wet. And you are correct the wines can be superb. We buy them fairly often here. But brandy and coke - seriously!?!

A cold Castle Lager is fine for me, the Stout is even better.

I have found many of the South African red wines to be excellent.

Brandy and Coke is the choice of many PHs. South African brandy is much different from French. It tastes great to us!

@sheephunterab

Back in Bulawayo they made some sort of weird Afrikaan "Rum and Coke" that they mumbled something about "diesel & something' each time they served me.

spook and diesel :D but careful of the babalas ......;)

Last edited:
Red Heart Rum for me!! A nice tall Red Heart Rum and diet coke at the end of the day was nice.
I brought a bottle of it home in 2013 and still have some. I plan to bring another (or more if possible) back with me in 2017.

Anyone know how much I can bring back to the USA when I go??

Any other good rum that I cannot get here in the states??

Windhoek lager as a beer. Jameson whiskey with ginger ale and a slice of lime. If no lime is available just Jameson and ginger.

south african cabs are our favorite,of coarse an ice cold castle to clear out the dust aint bad.

As long as it's cold....most go down well in Africa.

@Red Leg , we going to have to have a serious debate about Manica!! MM is the pride of Moz. But I will take a Manica any day over a MM.
20141128_115110.jpg

I'm hoping for G&T on the hot ones and to sample the beers otherwise in the Eastern Cape in 2017

Gin and dry lemon is one of my favorites, really hard to find the dry lemon in Canada!

spook and diesel :D but careful of the babalas ......;)

Just had to translate babalas as I was not familiar with the term. Luckily the international visual signage makes it clear to all cultures:

babalas-coffee-cup_design.png

Attachments

• babalas-coffee-cup_design.png
    babalas-coffee-cup_design.png
    16.3 KB · Views: 259
......... But brandy and coke - seriously!?!

Thought about the same thing. But, it was not that bad.

"Klippies and Coke"

images.jpeg

This stuff has about the strangest taste you can imagine and my first tracker in Africa LOVED IT. I made sure it was in the cool box every day. It turned into a superstitious good luck charm while hunting.
I drink one, once a year just as a reminder. :)

Sparletta-Cream-Soda.png

Try Richelieu Brickburn....so much better!

I will personally claim that there is nothing better to wash out the red dust of Namibia with that Beefeaters and Tonic. Truly the Gin and Tonic is the drink of Africa!

New to me last trip was 'Cane and Coke- S. African Mainstay Rum with coke

upload_2016-6-9_14-10-24.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg