Drillings?

Harrison E

AH member
Reaction score
Hunted
South Africa, Australia
what do people think of them and what recommendations to calibers and makers

I really like drillings...They are versatile when both large-and-small game can be encountered on the same hunt. I own a guild gun made in Berlin, 1929. Its a 16 ga double over a [rebarrelled] .22 hornet, great for all US small game & deer or hogs w/slugs. As for caliber/gauge combinations, I reckon it depends on what you'll mostly be hunting. I'm sure you are aware that new ones are not inexpensive (although they hold their value, if not appreciate in $). An internet search for used drillings should offer a variety of options, don't buy unless an inspection period is allowed. Overall, they are just plain COOL & fun to shoot & hunt with!

I love them. I currently have a 16x16/8x57R and a 16x16/.22 Savage HP. That said, they are somewhat unique to the European lease environment where an afternoon on a high seat might yield anything from a feral cat, to fox, to roe deer, to wild boar. In North America we tend to be going on species specific hunts. Indeed some states forbid a "deer caliber" while hunting small game. I have used mine in the Blue Ridge to hunt deer in the early morning and then walk up grouse on the way back to the truck. The little Savage combo is a great varmint rig for calling.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marplot

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois