AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
OFAH
Hunted
Canada
Hi. I have posted a couple of times and have gotten some great help(y) and I have one more of many to come. My family and I are hunting with KMG safaris this summer and have been given the opportunity to hunt with my bow for a couple days. Now for the actual question, I was at my local archery shop and was told that my bow is not heavy enough for the animal i would like to take. I have heard that Warthogs have very tough exteriors and my bow, being set at 52lbs right now will not take such an animal. Is this true?

Well that guy has never been to Africa? Pure BS.
Advice like that, he must be trying to sell you a new bow.

Anything you hunt deer with will take a Warthog.
Decent quality broad head and you're set.

Practice.
Have fun.

Well that guy has never been to Africa? Pure BS.
Advice like that, he must be trying to sell you a new bow.

Anything you hunt deer with will take a Warthog.
Decent quality broad head and you're set.

Practice.
Have fun.
Ya defiantly has not been to Africa. Thanks a lot, will practice whenever I have the opportunity. Happy new year.

Happy New Year.

Just got back in August. Killed two warthogs kudu,gemsbuck , 2 impala, Nyala, wildabeast, jackel, steenbuck all with bow. I used a hoyt xfactor with 74lbs draw. All animals passed thru or hit far shoulder and used rage extreme no problem at all. The slower your bow the more chance the impala and pigs could jump your shot they are quick and weary but if you are confident with your current bow you should be fine.

Just got back in August. Killed two warthogs kudu,gemsbuck , 2 impala, Nyala, wildabeast, jackel, steenbuck all with bow. I used a hoyt xfactor with 74lbs draw. All animals passed thru or hit far shoulder and used rage extreme no problem at all. The slower your bow the more chance the impala and pigs could jump your shot they are quick and weary but if you are confident with your current bow you should be fine.
Wow thats a lot of Animals. My bow does go up to 60lbs. But thanks for the advice.

I've never bowhunted a warthog, but I think that 52 pounds draw weigth is more than enough

52lbs is more then enough to get the job done with a good arrow and sharp head. Would 60lbs be better yes it would if you can pull it back while sitting down with ease.

It will be more important if you can pull it back with out much movement over adding 5lbs of draw weight. Your shot will be more then likely 20yds or under and then can be very nervous animals.

shot placement, shot placement and shot placement

52lbs is more then enough to get the job done with a good arrow and sharp head. Would 60lbs be better yes it would if you can pull it back while sitting down with ease.

It will be more important if you can pull it back with out much movement over adding 5lbs of draw weight. Your shot will be more then likely 20yds or under and then can be very nervous animals.
Thanks for the advice. I have until june to get my weight turned up and get the practice I need. Happy new year.

I've had complete pass through s on warthog with #49 pound compound and a heavy arrow , pass through s with #60 pound recurve and heavy arrows. They are prone to jump the string, especially if on the alert. Warthogs don't have the heavy gristle plate armor like Euro or feral boars.

I've had complete pass through s on warthog with #49 pound compound and a heavy arrow , pass through s with #60 pound recurve and heavy arrows. They are prone to jump the string, especially if on the alert. Warthogs don't have the heavy gristle plate armor like Euro or feral boars.
The gristle armour was my biggest fear, but that is good to know. Thanks a lot.

As on any large animal I would stay away from mechanical broad heads and just use fixed blade ones.

I know that people have used mechanical on just about every animal out there but I would want reliability on my side and not risk one not opening.

As on any large animal I would stay away from mechanical broad heads and just use fixed blade ones.

I know that people have used mechanical on just about every animal out there but I would want reliability on my side and not risk one not opening.

I agree they may work but a fixed head just works better. I am a big fan of slick tricks myself but any good fixed sharp head will work.

The one thing I would tell you to do before your trip is get a new string put on about 2 to 3 weeks before. Shoot the new string to get in broke in and go have fun.

oh okay. thats great thanks for that. any particular brand you would recommend?

I think the Magnus stinger 4 blade is excellent, not the serrated blade, the bleeder bade is small and they penetrate with low energy setups. My wife took Blue wildebeest, kudu and zebra all with pass through s with #50 and only 25.5 inch draw.

I think the Magnus stinger 4 blade is excellent, not the serrated blade, the bleeder bade is small and they penetrate with low energy setups. My wife took Blue wildebeest, kudu and zebra all with pass through s with #50 and only 25.5 inch draw.
I will make sure to check those out. Thank you

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross