Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
B&C, DSC
Hunted
US, Mexico, S Africa, Namibia
I'm mainly concerned about combatting a tick/bug/spider bite, etc if one should occur. I have Immodium AD already to help with the possibility of that issue. I've read some of the merits of having antibiotics around. I'm scheduled for a checkup about a week before I leave for SA in May. There are no mandatory injections that I'm aware of for the NW Province of SA. Thought I'd ask you guys this question beforehand. If my doc will give me an RX for it, is it a good idea to go ahead and start taking it several days before I leave, or just wait and see if I need it? This may be a stupid question...guess I'm a little bored tonight. Thanks though.

Hi JG. Good questions. There has been a discussion or two about this not too long ago. On the top right of the header page click on the advanced search tab. Then try tick fever and you will see several discussions that talk about it in Africa. My last trip was in May 2011. I came home w/ tick bite fever. About a week after I got home I was on a business trip and wound up in the ER in Vegas for treatment..... Read the posts. May save you some illness. Good luck and have a great time. Bruce

Thank you Bruce!

Definitely take Doxy and Cipro

I always carry Cipro and Doxycycline when I am out of the US. Doxy is good for all bites (I know, I have had Lyme disease multiple times) including those in Africa, it also fights Malaria. It does make you more susceptible to sunburns and should not be taken on an empty stomach. Cipro is good for all stomach and intestinal issues, I recently took it while having issues in Costa Rica and was better almost immediately. My international Doctor says that if Cipro doesn't fix your stomach within 48 hours head for a hospital. I was bitten by a tick in Limpopo and removied it within a few hours, on the trip home I was feverish exhausted and achy, when I couldn't get rid of what I thought was simple jet lag I went to the doctor. I eventually remembered the bite and was given Doxy, it worked for African tick bites just like it does for North America.

........... I'm scheduled for a checkup about a week before I leave for SA in May. ..................

Leaving a travel consult to a week before a trip is not a good idea.
Some meds/vacs require you to start much earlier than a week.
Move it up if you can.

There is nothing wrong with being prepared. It won't hurt you to take the meds along if you are concerned.

Having become somewhat of an "expert" on tick bite fever for having caught it my last time in Limpopo I'll pass along a couple of tips.
1) Search this forum for my write up about tick fever.
2) There are two different tick species that cause problems. Each one is very specific as to the antibiotic that does the best job. Doxy might work on both does a very good job on one. There is good medical help available in the Limpopo area if you get bit. It's not expense, it's contained in doctor's offices and you don't get real real sick normally. You get a very good headache and feel lethargic and tired for a few days. Recovery is 5 or 6 days after the start of the pills which you take for 10 days. If you don't take all the pills you'll get it back in 6 months.
You should be current on your Hep A and B shots along with Polio booster and Tetanus Booster. Up north you might want to do an anti-malaria regime but you need to start that 2 weeks before you go and continue after you get back for a total of 6 weeks of 1 pill a week normally. DON'T WAIT TILL A WEEK AWAY TO LOOK INTO THIS STUFF! Plan ahead.
Check the CDC website and your Doctor but most Doctors over here are somewhat uninformed about what is needed in each specific area over there.
The above is what my wife and I have done on 5 trips (except in Zimbabwe we took Typhoid pills) and it has worked out very well for us. Hope this helps.

I took both doxy and cipro with me but did not need either . If you are taking doxy as malaria prophylaxis, then yes, you need to start it before your trip, usually 2 days before entry into exposure prone area. However, it does not work like that (prophylacticly) for tick fever. So unless taking for malaria prophylaxis, do not start it unless you develop symptoms. Also, it can cause severe sunburn in some people, and it must be taken with a large amount of water to minimize the risk of esophageal ulcer and perforation. Regarding cipro, I would start it after the first loose stool, and take twice a day for 3-5 days. If diarrhea persists for 48 hours after onset seek care immediately. I also took the oral typhoid vaccine, vivotif, but it takes 8 days (every other day x 4 doses) and you have to complete it at least a week before you travel. Good rule if thumb with any international trip is to have your initial travel exam at least 6 months before you go. Also, fever in a returning international traveler from a malaria prone area is malaria until proven otherwise ( may present up to 4 weeks after returning).

Taking Cipro with you is a very good idea. I did not have it on my first trip and regretted it. On my second trip I started to get some stomach illness with only a few days left. Luckily, I had the Cipro with me and that fixed my issues. I didn't even end up missing a single day of hunting. Now I make sure I have Cipro with me whenever I leave the country.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack849688

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg