AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
South Africa,Zimbabwe, Canada USA
I'm taking my daughter on her first plains game safari next year. She'll be shooting her savage model 11on .7 mm-08. I don't reload so will be counting on factory ammo. So far Double Tap is the only manufacturer I've found to load Barnes TTX 140 grains in her calibre. Others have the TTX in 120 gr. Am I right in thinking this is the best choice? We took a box to the range and both she and the rifle liked the ammo, but we have a year to test others. Any one use this ammo on game?

I'm assuming you meant ttsx or tsx and auto correct got you?

As long as you're happy with the way that ammo shoots I'd say your done. I'm a big Barnes bullet fan, but as much as anything it is because they shoot well in my rifles. So why keep looking?

As I'm sure you know, shot placement is key. If she puts that bullet where it is supposed to go (and in my experience girls are good at that!) she will have dead animals. :)

What will she be hunting?

Yes TTSX Thank you. Not a bullet I have any experience with, but seems well recommended. She'll be after a zebra and a blue wildebeest. The calliber may be a little small for these, but that's why I want the best ammo for the job.

She will be better off shooting that rifle well than shooting a larger one poorly!

She will be fine. I'm sure the PH will just watch the range and how the animal is standing. In other words, no 300 yard hard quartering away shots on a blue wildebeest. :)

The ttsx hits like a hammer and many will tell you that a smaller bullet for caliber is all that is neededl at least on a .30 cal. I'm making a point to be clear, not telling you to go down to a 120 grain.

The picture below was a bullet recovered from a kudu. 180 grain .30 caliber and almost total weight retention. This was a second shot and I shot that kudu square in the butt at 165 yards. It ended up under the skin in the brisket. I will take end to end penetration like that any day (.30/06).

20160305_164118.jpg

Reactions: lcq

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-03-05 at 3.58.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-03-05 at 3.58.48 PM.png
    309.3 KB · Views: 129
  • Screen Shot 2016-03-05 at 3.59.26 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-03-05 at 3.59.26 PM.png
    270 KB · Views: 152
  • Screen Shot 2016-03-05 at 4.00.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-03-05 at 4.00.28 PM.png
    282.1 KB · Views: 182
  • Screen Shot 2016-03-05 at 4.00.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-03-05 at 4.00.14 PM.png
    305.8 KB · Views: 185
  • Screen Shot 2016-03-05 at 3.59.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-03-05 at 3.59.56 PM.png
    179.5 KB · Views: 133
ive had bad luck with double tap ammunition in the past (poor QC) so I wont buy their ammunition again. if you use this ammunition make sure to inspect each cartridge carefully before taking on your trip.

-matt

I used double tap with a Tsx bullet in my 375 in zim shot 8 animals including buff and a kudu at 300 yds the ammo performed flawlessly for me on that trip.

If you want another choice in ammo take a look at the Federal Premium Vital-Shock line for the 7mm-08.

In 140 grain bullets you have a choice of Nosler Partitions, Trophy Bonded Tip, and Trophy Copper.

A member of our hunting group last year took a blue wildebeast with a 7mm Rem mag shooting the Trophy Copper in 150 grain and dropped him in his tracks. His PH's dog found the bullet laying on the ground and it looked just like a Barnes TTSX with a perfect mushroom.

Bought my son the Ruger M77 compact in 7mm08 fir Christmas ! Like Matt suggests I bought him the Federal from Midway USA

Thanks for all the info. Matt85-would you mind sharing what issues you had with theDoubleTap so I have an idea what to look for?
The Federal line up is a great suggestion I honestly don't know why I didn't think of it for her. I starting to get that with so many great premium bullets today, any of them will work fine in the right spot, I don't need to get the exact "perfect" bullet.

Thanks for all the info. Matt85-would you mind sharing what issues you had with theDoubleTap so I have an idea what to look for?

i bought some self defense 357 magnum ammunition and found 2-3 cases per box to have deformed cases that would not chamber in my revolver. this ammunition was expensive and disappointing.

now i might have just gotten a bad batch but at the price they charge i would expect better QC.

-matt

If your looking for a factory loaded 140 grain bullet use the Hornady 139 grain GMX Superformance, it's an excellent performer on game and very accurate in my wife's Savage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
goldpatnners

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,