AH elite
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Houston Safari Club, Gulf Coast SCI, SCI International. Rowland Ward, NRA, RMEF, North American Hunting Club - Life Member, Texas Trophy Hunters
Hunted
Mozambique, South Africa, (Kwa-Zulu Natal, Free State & East Cape), Zimbabwe (Charisa & West Nicholson), U.S.(Texas, New Mexico, LA, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Wyoming & Montana), Canada (Alberta & Saskatchewan) & Argentina (Cordoba)
Dog Impaled by Bushbuck

These pictures are from a PH friend of mine in the East Cape. His client wounded a bushbuck and they sent "Jackson" on the blood trail after him. As with all Jack Russell's, Jackson is fearless. Before they could get in to finish him off, Jackson had him cornered. When they emerged into the opening the bushbuck came at them with Jackson attached as shown. Jackson was giving him hell even as they shot and killed the bushbuck. To keep him from bleeding to death, they cut the bushbuck's head off and left it attached to Jackson until they could get to the vet 3 hours away. Jackson still hunts to this day and is still "fearless". Never underestimate the "will to live" of any animal, especially a bushbuck!

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Dog Impaled by Bushbuck

Never underestimate the "will to live" of any animal, especially a bushbuck!
Or a Jack Russell Terrier!

A guy told me those little dogs look in the mirror and see lion looking back!

In Craig Boddington's book Tracks Across Africa he tells a similar story. Craig wounded a bushbuck somewhere in the Eastern Cape, they sent in the Jack Russell. The bushbuck gored the dog in the belly before Craig had a chance to finish off the buck. Horrified at the state of the hound, Craig ran in and picked up the now very pissed off dog so that they could rush him off to the vet. The dog decided to get his satisfaction by locking his teeth onto Craig's face.

I had a chance to discuss this with Craig at DSC a year or two ago. He proudly showed me the still present scars on his face. And yes, the dog survived to hunt again.

Did Jackson make it
Yes sir, he did. His owner just sent an update on Jackson just last week. Due to a tumor, he had to have his right eye removed. Amazingly tough dog! Ashley say's he still wants to hunt.

Yes sir, he did. His owner just sent an update on Jackson just last week. Due to a tumor, he had to have his right eye removed. Amazingly tough dog! Ashley say's he still wants to hunt.

Those dogs will hunt until they can no longer move and they will still want to hunt.

I agree with Witold....what a brave dog! GREAT Dog in fact.

A mate of mine hunts pigs in the NT with a Jack Russell. Little Rip got bit on the muzzle by a big boar and his muzzle was detached from his skull. The vet worked his magic and Rip was back hunting pigs in no time, he did have a slight sneer though.

Poor dog:unsure:. Those bushbuck I ve heard are down right nasty. I hope he still hunt's.

In Craig Boddington's book Tracks Across Africa he tells a similar story. Craig wounded a bushbuck somewhere in the Eastern Cape, they sent in the Jack Russell. The bushbuck gored the dog in the belly before Craig had a chance to finish off the buck. Horrified at the state of the hound, Craig ran in and picked up the now very pissed off dog so that they could rush him off to the vet. The dog decided to get his satisfaction by locking his teeth onto Craig's face.

I had a chance to discuss this with Craig at DSC a year or two ago. He proudly showed me the still present scars on his face. And yes, the dog survived to hunt again.
Great story, thanks for sharing.

Sorry for the dog, but that's a bushbuck for you!

A friend of mine in the Cape some time ago, followed up on a wounded Bushbuck, and was attacked by the animal in thick bush, he had a steep slope behind him and lost his footing, the buck ran a horn through his left upper thigh and out the other side, narrowly missing his femoral artery. Naturally he was a little sheepish about re-telling his story. Saw the scars, not nice!

Thats a tough dog!

Bushbuck attack on our hunting dogs Rambo & Rocky. Bushbuck are known to be extremely aggressive! Rambo and Rocky both with shots but luckily these hounds were born tough! As you can see these animals have extremely sharp horns.

full

Wow, I am very glad the dogs are ok.

The dogs learned a lesson on that close call. Glad they appear alright.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marinagqe

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber