Doe Run Lead Plant in MO Closing It's Doors - ??

Clayton

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Member of
NRA: Patriot Life Endowment Member, 2nd Amendment Foundation: Life Member LA Shooting Association: Life Member, Gun Owners of America: Annual Member SW LA Rifle & Pistol Club: Annual Member
I received this today. Don't know if it's for real or not, BUT:

The Doe Run Lead plant is right here in Missouri and Yes, it is closing due to over regulated EPA rulings. Save your lead!!

All you can do is shake your head.......

All lead for bullets will have to come from overseas! This move will also make the cost 100 LL (100 low lead aviation fuel) UNAFFORDABLE. Approximately 2 g of lead is added to each gallon of aviation fuel!

There are numerous alarming reasons why the US government and the military have been buying up all the ammo. Here's one of them.

Obama and the EPA just shut down the last lead smelting plant in the US. They raised the EPA regulations by 10 fold and it would have cost the plant $100 million to comply. You can own all the guns you want, but if you can't get ammo, you are out of luck.

Remember when Obama promised his minions that he was working on gun control behind the scenes?

Welcome to it. Now, all domestic mined lead ore will have to be shipped overseas, refined and then shipped back to the US. Not only will ammo now be even harder to come by, the demand and the process of supply will cause the price to skyrocket even more.

And ponder this. There is an excellent chance that Obama will rig the market to where all ammo has to be purchased from a government entity instituting de facto ammo registration.

So much for the Second Amendment. There has not been a peep about this in the major news outlets and it is done.

With the US no longer producing lead, all supplies will now have to come from China, Australia or Peru, with the overwhelming emphasis on China. More redistribution of wealth; more economic and liberty crippling of the US on tap.

Marxists will do or die and are doubling down on the destruction of energy in America, our way of life and the Constitution.

The smelting plant has known since 2010 this was coming. They couldn't stop it and no one else rose up to stop it either. The business had been in production for 120 years and now goes the way of our auto industry.

The military's obsession with ammo was related to security and supply. They knew this was coming too, so they bought up all they could get before the plug was pulled. Screw the average American. It's as Chris Muir said, he's not as worried about where the bullets will come from, as much as how the government will deliver them and I'm right there with him on that one.

So, back door gun control is moving forward and while we are all distracted with shiny stuff, our Second Amendment rights are just about gone. obama is one Marxist dictator who is savvy at political chess. He has flanked the Second Amendment. Now it's our move.

You can Google this if you don't believe it.

Forgive me if this is bogus.

Thanks. Started not to post it but ... Have a good mind to delete it.

No worries. Glad you brought it to our attention. I wouldn't put it pass this administration to do something like that. Was just surprised there hadn't been an NRA alert if it was true.

Well you have to know the guy that sent it to me. All his paranoid life he was convinced a communist was behind every bush. Then Obama came along & captured his undivided attention.

I usually ignore most of his hysteria. But I'd heard about Doe Run & thought maybe this one was worth airing.

This is old news......saw this about 2 years ago; surprised that it's still in circulation.

Doesn't anyone think the bigger issue is National Security? No domestic production of lead means in an admitted very unlikely situation, we could be boycotted from getting lead to make bullets for self defense.... Further moves by the Obama Administration to weaken this Great Country.

The EPA is also terrorizing mining (which includes drilling and developing domestic oil and gas production), and of course coal, including existing coal fired power plants. And all of Agriculture, but especially animal agriculture... All these assets are vitally important to National Security in dire times. The strength of these resources, industries, and manufacturing capacity is what ultimately resulted in the outcome of WWII. Not to take away from the brave fighting men, but they cannot function without food and supplies as well as weapons and transportation.

Last edited:
Doesn't anyone think the bigger issue is National Security? No domestic production of lead means in an admitted very unlikely situation, we could be boycotted from getting lead to make bullets for self defense.... Further moves by the Obama Administration to weaken this Great Country.

When you say "we", are you refering to individual shooters, or the United States govt?

When you say "we", are you refering to individual shooters, or the United States govt?
Take your pick... But faced with a war on the scale of WWII, who can say... A counties defense is stronger if it has every resource available domestically.

Take your pick... But faced with a war on the scale of WWII, who can say... A counties defense is stronger if it has every resource available domestically.

You mean like oil?;)

but seriously.....I agree with you about a country's strength & holding as many natural resources as possible. That's one of the reasons Japan went to war with us in WWII; they didn't have the scrap metal (or oil) to run their military machine.....they bought scrap from us and turned it into planes, tanks, firearms, etc. FDR banned scrap from being sold to Japan, and it didn't help improve relations....

As far as the military goes: I remember reading somewhere earlier this year (I'm sorry I can't cite and official source....minds getting feeble) that the U.S. military is now experimenting with "green" bullets.......I guess the Obama administration thinks it's O.K. to kill ISIS terrorists; you just can't polute the sand box while your doing it.:sneaky: Of course it's expensive, and will cost an arm and a leg, but congress will just raise taxes "for our benefit":rolleyes: I'm sure that there are other options as well......they coat lead bullets with nylon 'cases' to cut down on leading in indoor shooting ranges, so why can't you just make a thicker nylon (or other polymer) jacket with a steel core?

I think that we are just so used to lead, since we've been using it for years, that we are afraid or unwilling to look at other options.

As far as hunting goes, we waterfowlers have had to use nontoxic substitutes (i.e. non lead) to duck hunt for around 40 years now......there were some growing pains, but we do have good substitutes now. In some areas (most notably CA), it is illegal to use ANY type of ammo containing lead to hunt ANYTHING......which is why companies like Hornady and Winchester and others have come up with rimfire and centerfire ammo and bullets that are "lead free".

I do still cast, and it is getting harder and harder to find scrap lead (wheel weights are made out of ZN nowadays), but I can still come up with some if I scrounge hard enough.....my main concern is for my traditional muzzleloader hunting (which I love to do)....shotguns I have covered, but not my .54 hawken.

Yes, the current administration is certainly short sighted, and really unprepared for "unintended consequences" of it's "executive actions"......just wait until Obamacare bankrupts the country. HOwever, I think a good supply of lead (and copper) can be readily found in all the berms and backstops of this country's shooting ranges, esp. since the push by Obama to ban AR15s and the resultant surge in firearms and weapons sales over the past 8 years......I'm thinking there is a gold mine of lead and copper in each and every berm!:LOL:

My wife works for Doe Run Lead here in Viburnum, the smelter at Herculaneum has , for all practical purposes been closed for the last few years. The closing has had some effect in this area, mostly on employment. The only reason for the employment effect was the fact that they offered any of the Herculaneum employees who wanted to relocate jobs in this area. Rest assured there are still thousands of tons of lead coming out of the ground daily, not to mention all the high quality lead coming from the recycling division.

Seriously guys the Russian ammo is made of which metal due to the fact lead was in short supply within Russia .....

That was 100 years ago we live in a interlocked international supply network ....lead actually save for the Chinese is nearly a closed loop as will soon be copper

Anyhow enjoy tonight

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ModestaHac

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg