rookhawk

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
NRA Life Benefactor, Trout Unlimited, Safari Club International
just curious about a tactic:

If you blow the stalk and the animal is say, running at 35-50 yards, is there a consideration of taking the running shot?

I had two very lightweight single shots made with tang safeties to mimic the overall feel of a light English shotgun. I just wonder if the scope is at 1x or 2x does anyone find it ethical or practical to take shots on running game at reasonably close paces?

This is in the context of fleeing plains game, not challenging or threatening dangerous game on the move.

I look forward to learning from your thoughts.

Unless you have practised, and are proficient at shooting at moving targets so that you know how to lead a target (shotguing for example) You should not be taking the shot - not unless you do t mind blown away arses ...

rookhawk basically have you ever shot at running animals or not? that is the simple question....as you are asking i take it you havent, so please dont practice on live ones ......because if you havent you will be surprised at how bad you are....ok i put that politely compared to what a fk up i really said it was going to be.....;)

Tried this last year on a warthog who was running at a good clip. I was dead on but three feet behind him. Was not leading him enough soooooo not sure I want to try that again with a rifle.

I do a tremendous amount of wingshooting using a number of terms: Churchill method, instinctive method, natural method, Orvis method, etc. So for birds and ground quarry with a scatter gun, I get the concept.

What I do not know and would love to understand, is are there disciplined methods for shooting moving quarry with rifles? With shotguns, I practice methods that are "leadless" meaning the body is kept in motion and the shot is taken the second the stock comb hits your cheek. (Your body movement is creating an unperceived velocity and lead) Other shot gunners use methods like sustained lead, pass through, butt-beak-bang, etc.

Are their traditional methods and systems using any of these applied styles for big game? Do they even work with optics? Any reference books out there?

just curious about a tactic:

If you blow the stalk and the animal is say, running at 35-50 yards, is there a consideration of taking the running shot?

I had two very lightweight single shots made with tang safeties to mimic the overall feel of a light English shotgun. I just wonder if the scope is at 1x or 2x does anyone find it ethical or practical to take shots on running game at reasonably close paces?

This is in the context of fleeing plains game, not challenging or threatening dangerous game on the move.

I look forward to learning from your thoughts.

If you would ever like a humbling experience, put a target in an old tire (we screwed a thin piece of plywood to the sidewall and stapled a paper tablet to the plywood) then have a buddy roll the tire down a gradual hill and you shoot it from 100 yards. (Making sure of course your buddy is a safe distance away!) It's all about the swing and staying on target. Try it off the sticks then try offhand...

That said, The one shot that I consider my personal best, was last year on a hog that was running left to right and I hit it behind the shoulder with a 30-30 and open sights. It was one and done.

Moving targets are not easy to hit. And if I am paying 1000s of $$$ for an animal regardless if it's recovered or not, I am not taking a moving shot unless it's right in front of me, or it's a follow up shot thing.

If it's some kind of varmint I might take the shot. Otherwise no. At least not until I get better at moving targets

Only quadruped I've ever shot running was a 75 yard shot on a boar with a 4x scope from a Soviet Dragunov sniper rifle. (Long story, but I was a tactical dweeb in my 20s) It worked fine and the boar died in one step but:

A.) I was young and stupid
B.) I was lucky
C.) The gun was way more accurate than anything I'd bring to Africa
D.) A 300 pound boar at trot is no where near as hard as any small to medium plains game under the same circumstances

So to recap, I understand the risks you've all shared but I'm clearly a neophyte on this subject. Is there any literature on shooting in this manner? Are there double rifle books out there in the same manner as there are thousands of books on wingshooting methods? Would European driven shoots on say Roebuck be akin to this style of shooting?

Also, is there a principle that such shooting should only be done with iron sights or do people attempt such techniques with low power optics?

I'm satisfied this is not something I can become proficient to my standards within the time I have left before my hunt, but I'd still like to learn more about this method if it has been used traditionally in the sport.

As a first shot I just don't see why for most of us. Are there a few out there who can do it? Sure. Should most of us be doing it? Nope. Especially at any distance. Just way too many variables, IMO.

Follow up shots after a hit are obviously different.

I know of zero literature on this subject.

If you are a good to great shotgunner you should be fine with an open shot at 30 to 50 yards.

Sliding one into the vitals or just hitting it? That is where the ethics will come in to the discussion.

Most times I'd say, sneak up better next time and proceed to do so.

My biggest issue is with scopes. I get zero sense of lead with a scope or a sense of the animals flight path and thus sight picture is poor.
If I use open sights and approach it like shotgunning I am fine.

The other one is lead. That bullet is travelling way faster and lead is a whole lot smaller than you think..

Most guys stop the rifle and pull the trigger. Hence the conclusion they were behind and must lead more.

I have used the rolling tire method for practice and it is fun and instructive.

Had a friend suggest a version of the butt beak bang method for elk in the trees. Pick an opening and when the nose hits the vertical cross hair squeeze the trigger. Usually under 100 yards.

In Africa I'm not going to try it unless it's already been hit and I'm trying to finish it off. Then you take any chance you get. As a youngster I missed a couple,of those types of shots. 30 yards or so? Biggest problem for me was trying to lead them. Don't need to lead them at 30 yards. Point and shoot. The further away they are the more lead required . Close range I'm pretty effect at a target that is not all out running. I have gotten much better at avoiding that situation. Also most of my hunting lately is in the wide open.
The practice with the target in the tire is an excellent way to practice. Like any kind of shooting the more you practice the better you are. Bruce

In Europe it is very common with driven hunts with dogs and the animals moves pretty quick with a dog behind it. I would say that about 50-70% of my hunting is done this way.

In Sweden shooting a moving target (moose) is part of the test that you have to take to be allowed to hunt and to own rifles for the purpose of hunting.
It does take a fair bit of practice to get proficient but it is for me probably the most interesting and fun way to hunt for wild boar. I would guess most of the literature is in German on the subject but I would recommend having a look at the "Wild boar fever" 1-6 movies as Frans Albrecht does a fair bit of explaining about the art of shooting moving targets.

Also the preffered optics for this type of hunting is a red dot sight similar to aimpoint, doctersight III, trijicon rmr or a low powered scope of better quality in the range 1-4, 1.5-6 that you can shoot with both eyes open on the lowest setting.

Once you have taken a few wild boars running full tilt with a 470Ne double @ 40-100 yds you know you are ready for whatever Africa throws at you :)

Below an excerpt from wild boar fever

Last edited:
It all depends on your ability. If you are confident you can make the shot being honest with yourself and have the experience to back it up... Go for it. If there is any doubt.... Don't. I have taken running game and I've missed a helluva lot of running game. It always risky. I have decided that, with my self, I'll only take running shots at animals I've already hit such as follow up shots. That being said never say never but I try to avoid it as its a low percentage shot in that it's less than 90% for me at least.

That article about says it.

I noticed the site on the rifle in the video. That will help immensely.

I think that fella practiced a little bit.

That driven boar shooting looks like an interesting past time.

Last edited:
As Timt rightly mentions here in Europe we see nothing wrong with taking a running shot at a game animal,wounded or not.
I was fortunate enough to get instructed by Franz Albrecht ( the Gentleman in the video) for a few hours in a shooting cinema. What he has forgotten about shooting moving game I still have to learn:)

Gun fit is going to be critical and so is a well balanced rifle,judging speed and distance has to become a reflex as you will be focusing on other things that are way more important.
Shooting running game at longer distance (100-200 meters) is easier than hitting them real close,5 to 40 meters away (may not make sense right now, but once you understand the mechanics of a running shot you will agree)

I have taken running shots in Africa on wounded game and have hit my fair share of lucky shots. In Feb I was after a Warthog and the tracker spotted one in a dry river bed bend,burrowed slightly in with only his tusks visable. I had to lean over the side of the bend to even see him and as I did he took off,Warthog can go from fast asleep to full speed in one movement and this boar did the same. There was a gap of 6-7 meters from were he lay up to were he would be under cover. My rifle was up as he took off and all I remember is swinging through him from behind and breaking the shot when I got to his tusks. The boar pilled up in a dust clowd,shot trough both shoulders.
Later the same day I shot another boar at a considerably further distance,it was not as hard as hitting the close boar.

The spot he was lying from my point of view.
IMAG0315_1.jpg

The distance he went before the bullet hit him.
IMAG0317.jpg
IMAG0322.jpg
2014-02-14 001 2014-02-14 004.JPG

Not in English but a lead chart for caliber,distance and speed of the animal.

Send me a PM if you need some more info,I don't know a lot,but can give you some start up basics for running shots.
(n)

Hi Marius,you are welcome. It would be lead in cm. The only drawback I can see on this chart is that it does not compensate for bullet drop at further distance. The boar too is not the fastest animal and the lead is calculated on their speed. Lead on Springbuck at full speed may be much more. It also only gives and indication of a full broadside animal,angled going away shots would have reduced values,but experience is the only way to learn,I better head to the shooting cinema:)

Not the shooting cinema,but any practice is good practice;)

App for phones.
Screenshot_2015-05-02-12-58-29.png

at 35-50,i wouild of had the rifle up fired , or had the riffle up and decided there wasn't a shot there , before I would of realised , what I was doing .
that's samba hunting, atleast half your deer are shot on the run ,
35 to 50 ,it would be better than 50 to 80, in the right gully.
half the time samba ,have the uncanny ability, to have an obstacle
between the threat and themselves when they run, if they don't you must decide like lightening.....
on the same token if they aren't entirely sure the intruder is a threat , they may only run 30 metres then check , so if your not on them , your buying meat next week ..............
in Africa from what ive seen the antelope don't stop short , they put great distance between the threat and them .
so in places like the east cape you may well be better off , waiting till they are 150 metres away ,and turn broadside, not that I have shot any this way , but last year there was atleast two , that I know l could of. but roy said let them go ,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlfonzoPal

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!