Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
OFAH, DSC
Hunted
South Africa, Canada, USA
I was just reading another thread concerning switching of tusks from the field to the taxidermist (Are these the same tusks?). It got me thinking: Do you folks document your trophy in the field so that you can ensure you get the right one later on? Is this something that should be done? Until I read about the tusks it never occurred to me. I am thinking of pictures etc that are specifically taken to prove what you got.

I have taken pictures of all of my trophies. Because I take so many pictures it ends up being excellent documentation of the trophies.

We have worked out several issues with/at the taxidermists with pictures from the field.
Someone can not recall "that spot" or "the horns look different".
They are actually all quite unique if you pay enough attention.

Measuring trophies, if they are big enough. Hands down.

At Kanana I went into the Salt shed and could not identify one of my Warthogs. We started searching for it.
JP then took another look at the Warthog purported to be mine. It was mine. The staff had put the tusks in the wrong way. i.e.. Left into Right. No wonder they did not look the same. Simple mistake.

It is required to take identifying pictures for game departments when you take Lions and Leopard.
Those spots all look the same, they are not.

If your trophies are important to you.
Take pictures of the horns, the cape, the holes, tape them, note every last detail you can and document it. Then when that anonymous Nyala hits the taxidermist you'll know it is yours.
No doubts.

How many trophies have come home and mysteriously shrunk? a 42 is now 38.5 etc.
Horn does not shrink that much. Measure them properly, if you care.

After seeing the issue in the noted thread, I might have my own little metal plug made that would be drilled into the Elephant Tusks on the spot.

Great thread Pheroze… I think so, documenting your trophies in the field is something easy enough to do. Taking a few extra pictures of your trophies (horns, tusks, teeth and/or coat) from various angles will certainly be very helpful should an issue arise along the way. Measurements should certainly be provided in writing to you by your PH, however due to shrinkage during the drying period this may not always be truly reliable.

Here is a good way to photograph your Zebra to show skin pattern, their strips are like a fingerprint, each one is unique and different! See the difference below...

watermark.php

watermark.php

Last edited by a moderator:
All trophies and skulls I put a stainless steel dog tag on with a hog ring that has my name, address and phone number on it. Even the hides. All have survived dip and pack and the skulls that are european mounts still have them. They only cost about a dollar each in bulk and are easy to pack. I also use them as luggage tags.

I definitely think it's important to take good pictures and in some cases measure the horns in case of a shipping or taxidermy problem.

Thought you might like a picture of what I meant

20140828_224102.jpg
20140828_224212.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
K-man, you brought back memories of putting those hog rings into hogs when I was a kid! Nice to see someone still knows how to use a hog ring pliers... I have to see if I can still find mine.

Our PH did tell us to take pictures of the back of the wife's zebra. and we have pictures and measurements on everything else as well. and our PH went into the salt shed several times to confirm our trophies were properly tagged.

K-man, you brought back memories of putting those hog rings into hogs when I was a kid! Nice to see someone still knows how to use a hog ring pliers... I have to see if I can still find mine.

Did that once or twice my self. Normally I was the one holding the back end down.

Did you get to twist the tail? Kind of off topic, but whatever.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JacobI313

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Looking to hire Odoo developers in UAE, USA In o2b technologies has skilled and experienced Odoo developers at competitive pricing Consult Now!

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!