Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
OFAH, DSC
Hunted
South Africa, Canada, USA
I hunt and fish from a remote cabin in Northern Quebec. I was up there last weekend and I set up trail cams and I think I caught pics of feral dogs:eek::mad:.

WGI_0006.jpg

To put this photo in perspective, I get to this cabin by driving to a logging road, 8 km up the logging road to an ATV trail. A km down the trail with the landrover and another on the ATV or hiking in (you are seeing the trail in that photo). It sits alone at one end of a large Lake. There are some other cabins around the lake but quite a distance. I may see one or two other boats in a weekend there. I am disturbed by this pic because I think these animals can be quite destructive. I am wondering if I should do something about this? Also, while there were lots of moose tracks, and bear, the cameras only caught these dogs in a long weekend.:( Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

I am also thinking a report to the ministry too. I really don't believe these could be someone's pet, they would be really far from their home. I am stunned and quite upset to see this.

I might check with the other cabin owners and let them know what you see running loose. If you don't see the owners before seeing the dogs again, shoot the dogs anyway.
Even if they had collars on they could have run off from their previous owners and are feeding off of the local wild life now so shoot.

People don't get it. As hunters, we pay lots of money to ensure wild spaces remain wild. We go through tremendous effort to get there, and then, BAM, someone's unwanted pet trots by!! It is really frustrating! And we are evil for wanting to enjoy the natural spaces we take so much pride in. Rant rant rant :mad::mad::mad:

I am pretty sure I put my boot in that one dog's poop too!!!

Yeah, No collars, and assuming the other cabins are not permanent residence, that's a pack of ferals.

YEARS ago, My uncle returned from Vietnam and started farming in Florida, Wild dogs got two of his calves. He paid my brother and I for each head we brought in, Hunting dogs is TOUGH but we made a fortune - or at least a fortune to teenage boys when the minimum wage as a dollar something and we were both too young to work.....

The one up front actually looks like a well fed and well kept chocolate lab.

Have gun. Will travel.

I hunt and fish from a remote cabin in Northern Quebec. I was up there last weekend and I set up trail cams and I think I caught pics of feral dogs:eek::mad:.

View attachment 152069

To put this photo in perspective, I get to this cabin by driving to a logging road, 8 km up the logging road to an ATV trail. A km down the trail with the landrover and another on the ATV or hiking in (you are seeing the trail in that photo). It sits alone at one end of a large Lake. There are some other cabins around the lake but quite a distance. I may see one or two other boats in a weekend there. I am disturbed by this pic because I think these animals can be quite destructive. I am wondering if I should do something about this? Also, while there were lots of moose tracks, and bear, the cameras only caught these dogs in a long weekend.:( Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

the lab looks too porky to be feral. that said I had a cottage in the Pontiac and my neighbor who owned most of the land on our side of the lake told me to shoot all dogs running free on his property

If they are pets their range is huge. I walk for kms out the door to hunt moose. That is amazing.

The one up front actually looks like a well fed and well kept chocolate lab.

That one up front is very well fed and looks, as Pete says, close to being a Lab. I'd wonder

Man years ago a friend shot a "wolf" 120km from anywhere in the NWT. When he walked up to it he found a collar on it. No one in sight, no tracks in the snow, nothing.

If you see them chasing game at all you should provide a direct assist to the game.

If you they appear again only on a weekend then someone is letting them run free.
If they are showing up during the week, or everyday, then I would start to conclude that you are encroaching on their hunting area!

Either way, if they are running at large.....

I like my dog, I keep my dog at home so nobody shoots my dog.
Not to incite violence or anything but I bet that dog knew the game can was there and he was taunting you by taking a crap in the middle of the trail! Lol
Boom, boom and boom,
Cody

View attachment 152069

Is it possible that someone is using them to run bears or cougar? The dogs in the pic typically are not the type of dogs used for that style of hunting, but hey you never know with some people? You might check with the neighbors and ask what they know. I ran across a couple dogs like this while whitetail hunting in Northeast Washington when I was a kid and that's what was going on, they were chasing bears.... And there wasn't a whitetail for miles...

Bottom right looks like a real killer.

There is an outfitter on an adjoining Lake so I will ask around.

Bottom right looks like a real killer.

I like the fact the other two are standing around nonchalantly while Killer craps. what a team.

There is an outfitter on an adjoining Lake so I will ask around.

I like the fact the other two are standing around nonchalantly while Killer craps. what a team.

Yes typically trained bear dogs do not travel in packs. They spread out covering as much ground as possible and you can hear them barking for miles. Also these days they are usually wearing radio and GPS collars so the Professional handlers can keep track of them. The three in the pic seem to be out for an afternoon stroll and one got caught with his shorts down;) That said, if someone is working an area with dogs (regardless of professionalism) it explains not seeing any other wildlife for sure. No self respecting critter is wants to be caught out of hiding with a maurading pack of dogs around.
We don't see much bear hunting with dogs here in Alaska. While it is legal, and there are some that do it, the terrain is extremely difficult and the chances of finding the wrong color bear are very good. Dogs tend to come back missing parts...or not at all. But I think it's still a a fairly popular sport in your neck of the woods.
Anyway, if they really are ferel dogs likely they will move on unless someone is feeding them, but if they have marked out a territory for some reason, a 5lb bag of dog food in front of your cabin and a 10/22 will do the trick.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Looking to hire Odoo developers in UAE, USA In o2b technologies has skilled and experienced Odoo developers at competitive pricing Consult Now!

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!