Disappointment at the range....help needed!

All good stuff. There are plenty of good makers of pure lead round balls around, so lack of pure lead for home casting should not be a reason to not use them.

If it can help, at Pedersoli you might contact the sales dpt. they usually are very cooperative in channeling client inquiries:

gloria@davidepedersoli.com (Mrs. Gloria)

or Mrs. Veronica I don't have the direct mail but she should pick up at this address: estero@davidepedersoli.com

They all speak English but if a translation is required I'll be happy to help.

Hi there Sestoppelman,

Polyester always makes my armpits itch and so for 40 or more years I have worn only 100% cotton T-Shirts.
(Latex allergy perhaps ?)

It requires reading the label before buying and sometimes there are those companies who are happy to lie about their products content but, I'm fast to bring 'em back for a refund when I find I've been cheated.
Carhart sells a T-Shirt that they claim is 100% cotton but it stretches like spandex - total false advertising.

Lately I've bought some of the best 100% cotton T-Shirts I have ever seen (complete with a pocket) from Duluth Trading Company in Minnesota - extremely well made.

I totally recommend them both for manly men who work hard / sweat hard, and they shoot accurately in slow twist muzzle loading rifles when mashed around a soft lead ball of appropriate size.

Thanks for chastising me any way.

It probably makes up for some other time that I may have stubbed my toe or slipped through the cracks, so to speak, because I am a total creep according to my ex-wife and therefore, I can likely benefit from a bit of chastising now and again.

Regards,
Velo Dog.
@Velo Dog
That means 100% of the cotton in the Tee shirt is cotton. :)
I am a 100% cotton sock wearer, otherwise my feet sweat, and have to read carefully before purchase.

Tarawa,
If you are using the Pedersoli Safari Express Kodiak in .72 caliber, it has a rifling with a twist of 1:75" too slow for stabilizing conicals, it is a typical slow twist for RB. My repro of a 1761 long rifle (flint lock) has a 1/60" rifling same story just a RB shooter.
Here are the Pedersoli recommended settings:
SAFARI EXPRESS
Caliber .72 , Powder charge from 90 to 120 grains (max allowed) - .715 round ball with a 0.010" patch.
Pedersoli uses Swiss Powder for their tables that compared to the same granulation GOEX is roughly 25% more powerful. They also load by volume as customary albeit indicated in grains.
My two cents.
in 12 bore, a 1:75 is capable of stabilizing a .85" long 900gr (or 800gr) bullet (a .95" long 900gr bullet should still stabilize, but less so than I would prefer) at even 500fps lol. Once you get over 20bore, the rate of twist really slows down lol. A purely RB twist in 12bore would be something like a 1:90". Forsyth style rifling would be closer to 1:120" or so. The bullet rifle barrels I use are twisted 1:62 to be capable of 2.75oz bullets, but my "express" guns are twisted 1:80 to accommodate hot-loaded RB better, yet still allow the use of bullets roughly 1 caliber long.

Now to make use of a bullet that heavy, I don't think that gun is proofed or designed to do it, Samuel Baker recommended (as was recommended to him by H&H and Purdy) that a rifle be capable of up to 10 Drams (270ish gr of powder) in 12 bore with your bullet (pedersoli needs to catch up before they start naming the model after a dangerous game animal lol:giggle:), of course 3.5 drams was common for H&H's Paradox's in 12bore.

The Kodiak is proofed, more or less, for a paradox-gun load (light bullet (1.5x a round ball weight) or ball and 3.5-4 drams of powder). It limits you a little bit, but should still be capable at reasonable distances of up to buffalo and such. The .577 Model is basically intended to use the 2-1/2" .577 BPE loads; and the .50 is meant to use something like a 2-5/8" .500BPE.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
indiagpt

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois