Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
OFAH, DSC
Hunted
South Africa, Canada, USA
I was reflecting on what my health, and life, would be like if I did not hunt and if I didn't find AH.

As an office worker I don't move around much. Basically, my day can be broken into different places that I sit: at the kitchen table, in the car, at my desk, at a restaurant, at my desk, back in the car, back to the kitchen table and then I lie down. This lifestyle dooms me to obesity, diabetes, heart disease, infirmity etc.

Hunting breaks that cycle of sitting and gets me outdoors. The hunting I read about here on AH takes it a step further. Here people travel to foreign lands, climb mountains, stalk for miles, endure environments most office workers like me only see on the Discovery channel while sitting at the kitchen table.

Hunting also brings my family together. Our trip to Africa was beyond fantastic. And, hunting with my boys makes indelible memories. It also helps keep them from drifting into problems. They can't sit around stoned if they want to go on that next adventure with dad! I am sure hunting is forming them to be men of character.

And so I have been inspired. To hunt the world you have got to be in shape. Yes, round may be a shape, but not one that will let me hunt the world with my sons. I truly believe that I have been saved from a life of predictable decline by this sport and this community. I also notice that I just don't get stress out by work like I used to. I see how my next adventure just puts it all in focus. And, then there's recoil therapy!

Planning is half the fun, training makes life better all round, and hunting just makes it happen. This is why I hunt.

Will anyone else will say in what way they live a better life because they hunt?

Great comment and observations!

Getting ready for my first sheep hunt in a few weeks or all the elk hunts I've done in the past, conditioning is a very big part of it. I hate running, just for the sake of running. Some people love to run, I am not one of them. But I run and work out because I love to hunt and sometimes that means hunting hard at high altitude. So yes, I agree whole heartedly with your comments. Everyone needs something in their life that motiviates them and hunting is a big part of that for many, including me!
:E Strong::P Swimmer:

I will say that to be able to hunt is a strong motivation for me to stay reasonably fit...both when its about roaming the mountains in Norway and hunt ptarmigan over setters or walking in the bush in the African heat..

I'm well into the process of breaking down. But the love of hunting has fueled a determination to go as much & as often as I can. It keeps me doing anything I can to hang on to what's left of my physical condition. Passing time will change all this & I will change with it. But until then, I'll keep going.

Oh & BTW, I can be in the deer woods in less than 20 minutes.

I'm glad you started this thread.

I'm well into the process of breaking down. But the love of hunting has fueled a determination to go as much & as often as I can. It keeps me doing anything I can to hang on to what's left of my physical condition. Passing time will change all this & I will change with it. But until then, I'll keep going.

Oh & BTW, I can be in the deer woods in less than 20 minutes.

I'm glad you started this thread.

I am not trying to sound preachy, but the great thing about being male is our ability to put on muscle. It changes very little with age but the older we get the longer it takes to heal from injury. But, those deer woods being so close! They will be there for you until you decide not to go!

Time to reverse that decline my friend!

images.jpg

My father took his Blesbok at 80 years of age. I will be damned if I allow myself to give up hunting before that milestone :A Wheelchair::P Elmer Fudd:

Financially, I know hunting hasn't been good for me. But if you measure how much fuller my life is, the cup is over flowing. It's a commitment and a challenge. I feel I understand life more from hunting and how to handle stress better too. Some the best people I know are hunters.

I agree with everything above.
Hunting at home, beyond being a bonding with family and friends, has improved our health with the meat that we have on the table. No doubt better for you, no steroids or hormones, less fat. My kids have grown up eating fresh deer, elk, antelope and home grown beef and really don't like the meat at the store.
Another way hunting in Africa and AH have improved our lives is opening our minds to the different cultures of the world. Living in South East Idaho we are very detached from the rest of the country let alone the rest of the world. We can get a glimpse of amazing places we have never even thought of through the stories on AH. We get to talk to and get the perspective of friends from around the world.
After having traveled to a couple of different countries now, and seeing how many others live, we have realized just how spoiled we are here at home and have become more grateful for what we have.

I was reflecting on what my health, and life, would be like if I did not hunt and if I didn't find AH.

As an office worker I don't move around much. Basically, my day can be broken into different places that I sit: at the kitchen table, in the car, at my desk, at a restaurant, at my desk, back in the car, back to the kitchen table and then I lie down. This lifestyle dooms me to obesity, diabetes, heart disease, infirmity etc.

Hunting breaks that cycle of sitting and gets me outdoors. The hunting I read about here on AH takes it a step further. Here people travel to foreign lands, climb mountains, stalk for miles, endure environments most office workers like me only see on the Discovery channel while sitting at the kitchen table.

Hunting also brings my family together. Our trip to Africa was beyond fantastic. And, hunting with my boys makes indelible memories. It also helps keep them from drifting into problems. They can't sit around stoned if they want to go on that next adventure with dad! I am sure hunting is forming them to be men of character.

And so I have been inspired. To hunt the world you have got to be in shape. Yes, round may be a shape, but not one that will let me hunt the world with my sons. I truly believe that I have been saved from a life of predictable decline by this sport and this community. I also notice that I just don't get stress out by work like I used to. I see how my next adventure just puts it all in focus. And, then there's recoil therapy!

Planning is half the fun, training makes life better all round, and hunting just makes it happen. This is why I hunt.

Will anyone else will say in what way they live a better life because they hunt?
Well said mate.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Pheroze
Great post. Not sure if hunting saved my life, but it has enriched it beyond measure. 13 years ago I was diagnosed with a skin tumor. After 2 weeks in the hospital I got the all clear and fortunately didn't have to do any chemo or radiation and just pray for the five year all clear (which happened). The year after my surgery and skin graft I went on a black bear hunt to Alaska. I had done some white tail hunting, but this was my first out there adventure. And, it got my hooked on real wilderness hunting.

As a consultant, I too do nothing but sit around. So, the adventures give me the strongest motivation to stay in shape. The benefits of the working out make the rest of my life easier / more enjoyable. But, the being in wild places. That is what truly gives me fulfillment. Being with family while creating the memories is irreplaceable. Seeing what God created - it's beauty, harshness, and perfection is what makes me tick. When I hear people talk about how they love the city, architecture, art, etc. I appreciate what we create as humans, but it doesn't 'get me going'. I feel in balance when I'm hiking through the preserve near us and seeing deer, black bear, hogs, coyotes, bobcats, etc. Even though others have hiked the same trails, I always feel like an explorer, like I'm the first person seeing it for the first time.

We're off to Mozambique in 3 months. So, my work outs have started to amp up to be ready for the heat and the long stalks. The heat is easy to replicate here in Florida right now!

John

Good luck in Mozambique! What a great trip(y)

Great comment and observations!

Getting ready for my first sheep hunt in a few weeks or all the elk hunts I've done in the past, conditioning is a very big part of it. I hate running, just for the sake of running. Some people love to run, I am not one of them. But I run and work out because I love to hunt and sometimes that means hunting hard at high altitude. So yes, I agree whole heartedly with your comments. Everyone needs something in their life that motiviates them and hunting is a big part of that for many, including me!
:E Strong::P Swimmer:

Get on a stair machine. Running alone will not do it for climbing these darned rocks around here. Just saying.

Good luck.

Hunt until you drop!

Get on a stair machine. Running alone will not do it for climbing these darned rocks around here. Just saying.

Good luck.

I run and lift weights 3 days a week. On the alternate 3 days, I do the stairmaster while wearing a 50 pound weight vest. Sunday, I rest. I've been doing this routine now for over a year. Hopefully, it helps. Living and working at sea level and then going to high altitudes usually kicks my butt the first few days. That's even with going up a few days early to acclimate. Luckily, the upcoming Yukon Dall sheep hunt isn't too high (3000-6000 ft).

Hunting has definitely set the course of my life and influenced most of the decisions that I have made. I didn't play any sports when I was in school or join any clubs because they all would take away valuable time hunting elk, deer, running cats and calling coyotes. I ended up with piss poor team work skills but the Army sorted that out for me later. I've never settled for a lesser job to get by because getting by doesn't get you to all of the awesome places to hunt. I have busted my ass to ensure that I have the opportunity to go to these places and immerse my two boys into our culture so they can carry on the passion for the game that I have.
So, yeah, it has probably saved me, who knows what I would have gotten into not for hunting and the outdoors.
Cheers,
Cody

Im only 27 so im not sure it has saved me as much as I have almost accidentally killed myself while doing it. However there are a few older men at my hunting club that I admire. Two of them in particular are gone now, but were still out hunting deer and turkey in the swamps of Alabama well into their 90's with one killing his final turkey at 93 while carrying an oxygen bottle with him through the woods. The other killed 5 turkeys which is the yearly limit in our state and almost impossible to do where we hunt when he was 89 years old. He also shot a 145 inch 10pt at 91 years old. I can only hope that if/when I make it to their age I can do what I have watched them do and keep on hunting.

Today I am in better shape than the first time I went to Africa in 2008. I have hunted in Africa every year since then except for 2013 and have gone through the same cycle. I exercise, shoot more, and eat more healthy for several months prior to the trip. After returning from Africa I revert to my bad habits of not exercising enough and eating poorly.

I turned 53 last month and just completed a hunt in the rainforest without a vehicle (there were no roads any where near us) and walked nearly 200 miles on the adventure. If I had not stayed in shape because of hunting over the years I would have never been able to go on this safari.

I run and lift weights 3 days a week. On the alternate 3 days, I do the stairmaster while wearing a 50 pound weight vest. Sunday, I rest. I've been doing this routine now for over a year. Hopefully, it helps. Living and working at sea level and then going to high altitudes usually kicks my butt the first few days. That's even with going up a few days early to acclimate. Luckily, the upcoming Yukon Dall sheep hunt isn't too high (3000-6000 ft).

If you have been on that stair master for a year then you are going to do just fine.
Damn guide will be shocked you can keep up.

all I know is that if I didn't hunt, id have a lot more money in the bank!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stitchcart

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg