Death and Taxes - Trophy Fees & Canada Customs

Discussion in 'Before & After the Hunt' started by BRICKBURN, Apr 23, 2014.

1. BRICKBURN

BRICKBURN SUPER MODERATOR CONTRIBUTOR GOLD BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Member of:
    KZN Hunters Assoc
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Canada, USA, Mexico

I think we have brought this testy subject up before to. (Must come up every time I am traumatized.)

Oh, this guy was going to charge tax on Trophy Fees AND Taxidermy costs AND likely anything else they could dream up.
    If it were just the Taxidermy I'd accept it. Value added, fair enough. (Been there done that, just like you)

Your story reinforces the idea that they use intimidation to get people to conform. Threaten an unreasonable amount and you settle for a lower amount, even though it is not reasonable either, just to save your time and energy and expense.
    Taxation by frustration. Maybe they learned from Insurance claims department policies.

Being creative, I have taken care of the hostage thing and my very reasonable taxes are paid in full.
    The over zealous do not work every day. Thankfully. :satisfied:

I have been searching the CBSA Memorandum (NRC) data base to find the threatened policy. It is nowhere to be found.

I will be showing up to interview this expert and then climb the ladder and see if hunters can quit being extorted and start being treated fairly and equitably with a National policy.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
  2. Hank2211

Hank2211 GOLD SUPPORTER AH Veteran

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI, DU, Pheasants Forever
    Hunted:
    Canada, United States, Zimbabwe, South Africa (Eastern Cape; Northern Cape; North West Province), Cameroon, Argentina
    Had to look back at my post enysse. My solution to dealing with customs is complete surrender!

3. Hank2211

Hank2211 GOLD SUPPORTER AH Veteran

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI, DU, Pheasants Forever
    Hunted:
    Canada, United States, Zimbabwe, South Africa (Eastern Cape; Northern Cape; North West Province), Cameroon, Argentina
    Brickburn, it could be a whole lot worse. I have never had anyone give me grief over a typo on a CITES form, or try to seize a trophy. Seems that happens on an almost daily basis south of the border. I read the Conservation Force newsletter monthly and - as treasonous as this sounds - often give thanks for Canadian Border Services!

4. BRICKBURN

My Photos:
    Member of:
    KZN Hunters Assoc
    Hunted:
    It can always be worse.

A friend and I each imported the identical trucks, on the same day at the same border crossing and we were both treated quite differently. We stood within 6 feet of each other. The only difference was the officer who was processing the paperwork.

I cross the border enough that many times I am thankful that many of the officers are decent folks doing a job.

I hate the manner that an application of the law becomes such a lottery.

5. toxic111

toxic111 AH Veteran

Hunted:
    Canada (BC, AB, & SK), Eastern Cape SA
    You're more than welcome to get a copy of my invoices Brick.. maybe mine went well since I had Kim deal with it all. What does suck is you will be paying the tax there & then again on the taxidermy work too...

Mine was a package deal as well, so it might have been cheaper (if there had been a fight) to pay the tax on that over the trophy fees. I don't know what that would have worked out.

I think in my other thread I do have a list of all the prices in my 2 invoices for shipping as well.

6. BRICKBURN

My Photos:
    Member of:
    KZN Hunters Assoc
    Hunted:
    RSA and Namibia actually know that the trophies are leaving the country. No tax.

The sad thing is, it should not matter who is clearing the trophies. Again, the lottery.

I will PM you my email address. Thanks for the help.

7. canoetrpr

canoetrpr New Member

Member of:
    OFAH
    What a freaking mess! I just made a post asking if folks hunt trophy animals and not bring the trophies home. I'm my case my wife isn't interested in having them in the house and I'd personally rather spend money on more hunting. This is a good lesson in case I do bring back a couple of hides or one trophy that is part of a package hunt.

Sounds like I want a separate invoice from the outfitter for the animals whose hide / mount I bring back?

Either that or not bother at all given the hassle. I hate dealing with bureaucrats and process.

8. BRICKBURN

My Photos:
    Member of:
    KZN Hunters Assoc
    Hunted:
    It does provide a strong reinforcement to save the money and hassle.

Freight handling agents specifically avoid particular ports of entry to stay away from this type of problem. They learned quickly and route your trophy shipment somewhere else for entry and then onward.

ie. Entering at Vancouver or Montreal to get to Saskatchewan. Certainly not the closest Port of Entry to the final destination but it avoids the problem children.