DC Choice: Old M70 404; New M70 458

Ray B

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Not sure the photos are uploading, however a description of the two choices is: 1953 mfg M70 rebarrelled and reworked to 404 J with McMillan stock. or, 1996 mfg Safari Express, CP Donnelly rebarrel/actionwork to 458 W. The barrels are 23" & 24"; the 458 has a heavier taper so is about a pound heavier. The scopes are changeable, but at present the 404 has a 2-7x Leupold while the 458 has a 1.5x Zeiss. If I were going to Africa I'd like to take both, but seems there are problems with authorities along the way that are unsympathetic to my situation, I may be reduced to taking just one-

Maybe.

DSC_0001.jpg
DSC_0003.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice looking rifles! I'd take the 404 for no particular reason other than there are lots of happy hunters on this forum that have/use a 404

The 1953 M70 sounds really special. The classic chambering with the slightly shorter barrel (faster pointing in my mind) makes it the winner of my vote. Sounds like you have an enviable dilemma!

Both:) Sounds like the best option in my book(y)

If I were going to Africa I'd like to take both, but seems there are problems with authorities along the way that are unsympathetic to my situation, I may be reduced to taking just one-

what is the problem? its only 2 rifles and different cals? dont see what problems there could be.

for me the pre64 in 404 would win every time....

but.. they both sound like nice rifles.. I'm going to guess you'll be happy no matter which one you pick..

I'm allergic to .458s otherwise it's a gorgeous rifle. So the .404 it is!!!

I agree with Spike's question. Why can't you take both if you want to?

.404 is more versatile. Use it for buffalo but if you see a zebra or kudu at 150 meters you don't have to think twice about the shot. Much flatter trajectory than a .458. Much less recoil too.

On a heavy recoiling rifle, I'd be a lot happier with the eye relief of the second scope vs the first. Either caliber is fine for big game.

If not both, the 404 hands down! The only authority I know who might stop you from taking both would be a wife. Unless you are going to one of the Countries or with one of the outfitters that charges a ridiculously high fee per gun.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HongPilgri

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg