Dangerous Game Rifle in .404 Jeffery /10,75 x 73/

It appears the only way is to find a Magnum action, time to go scrounging,,thanks for the help

My rifle Mauser in 404Jeffery is built on standart lenght 98Mauser Action.
Action M98 I bought in Oberndorf (Germany ). The cost of buying is about 300Euro.
The cost M98 magnum is 2000,00Euro. The problem was box magazine but were modified to fit.
The effect how the pictures.
Rob, your guns must see gunsmith and decide they can make rifle in 404Jeffery.
All the best.
Witold

Last edited:
My rifle Mauser in 404Jeffery is built on standart lenght 98Mauser Action.
Action M98 I bought in Oberndorf (Germany ). The cost of buying is about 300Euro.
The cost M98 magnum is 2000,00Euro. The problem was box magazine but were modified to fit.
The effect how the pictures.
Rob, your guns must see gunsmith and decide they can make rifle in 404Jeffery.
All the best.
Witold
Thanks Vitold I have a very competent gunsmith about an hour from me, I have to have my 7x57 project Obendorf brought in for Bluing so I just may take the Mausers with me and have them look at them

Hi Rob.
First Jeffery Mausers were built on standart lenght 98 Masers action (military ).
http://www.buffalosafaris.com/documents/The404Jeffery.pdf
Witold
There is a FN Mauser Large Ring complete action for sale complete with trigger and Bolt, the Mag length is 3.5" and the mounting screws are 7 7/8 center to center. at one time it had a 338 caliber barrel installed a 404 Jeff barrel could be installed I'm wondering if the Mag is long enough and what mod would have to be done to the Bolt

FN Mauser is excellent for construction custom rifle. I envy you.
Good luck and all the best.
Witold

Von Gruff I just sent a PM requesting the info you have gathered. Thank you and have a great weekend.

Dave

Witold
Beautiful rifle, it is a 404 Jeffery so it is a perfect rifle..I will be hunting with mine next year for sure...I am shooting it a lot..that is why my 404 Jeffery has minimum recoil..it has less recoil than my brother`s CZ 30-06...

There is a FN Mauser Large Ring complete action for sale complete with trigger and Bolt, the Mag length is 3.5" and the mounting screws are 7 7/8 center to center. at one time it had a 338 caliber barrel installed a 404 Jeff barrel could be installed I'm wondering if the Mag is long enough and what mod would have to be done to the Bolt
I have a line on a BRNO 602 in 458Win I may look into I'm thinking it may not need a ton of Magazine work.

Rob44 either the FN action or the Bruno will need a bit of magazine work, will need to be lengthened a bit and might need a bit of work on the follower a good gunsmith will be able to take care of that fairly easy. The action rails shouldn't need much work but each one is a individual so you never know till you start the work to get it to feed correctly. Look forward to seeing your choice and how the project proceeds.

A BRNO 602 won't need lengthening, it is already long enough for a 375H&H. The magazine well might need widening and the feed rails might need some work. The ideal mag box dimensions for the .404 jeff are 1.013" internal dimensions at the rear.

The one i'm looking at has a nice piece of wood, it also appears to be a later model because it lacks the built in peep sight

The year of manufacture should be on the action and barrel on the right hand side just above the wood line. My BRNO 600 has 94 showing it was made in 1994. A lot of the 602's did not have a built in peep. I have a copy of the BRNO yearbook that lists the history of the BRNO ZKK series of rifles. Flick me a PM with your email if you want a copy of it.

The year of manufacture should be on the action and barrel on the right hand side just above the wood line. My BRNO 600 has 94 showing it was made in 1994. A lot of the 602's did not have a built in peep. I have a copy of the BRNO yearbook that lists the history of the BRNO ZKK series of rifles. Flick me a PM with your email if you want a copy of it.
Will do I think the peep is a nice idea but I have to scope all my Rifles anyway and I still have open sites if I need them. Any problems with finding proper mounts

Mounts are easy to get, Alaska Arms make a quick release set that will fit BRNO/CZ.
I have some Alaska Arms on my CZ Mannlicher 308,,it looks like the early models used something a little different, I think as the models got more popular in the US BRNO may have changed them. I'm thinking a 602 in 458 would make a cheaper conversion, I think even a Zastava makes a decent action My 375 Whitworth is sweet, I know remington used them in their line for a while it was a Model 798 which used Zastavas CRF instead of the Push feed that Rem uses in their 700

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MckinleySv

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.