Dangerous Game Rifle in .404 Jeffery /10,75 x 73/

Beautiful rifles!

Beautiful rifle Witold (y) I like it!

Hi guys,
I wonder how many members AH hunts with 404Jeffery?
Witold
Probably far fewer than own them. I have owned 2 now and have yet to hunt either one. Maybe never will who knows. Unless I go for another buffalo at some point. No intentions of hunting ele, rhino or lion.

Definitely not in the same leaguer as DG but I carried mine into the hills with and killed quite a few goats. Fast and furious shooting with a couple of reloads to get 21 goats for 25 shots. I had 10 rounds for the 404 and my friend had 15 for the 7x57 so thought we had a better than average return for the day. Would post the link but again it is on another forum so would be deleted

Sir, I have sent you another mail, but in reply to this particular one, my e mail is:
claycoach@tiscali.co.uk
My name is Iain MacGregor and I live in Scotland.
Many thanks and good hunting.

On its way . The more that real knowledge gets out there on the 404 Jeffery with its historic and ultra modern place in DG rifles, the larger the pool of actual shooters becomes the higher will be its place in the preference stakes for those who may wish to buy or build a DG rifle. The enhancement of its reputation grows apace.

Well, if we are talking classics, after, or to some extent, alongside the 404, the project is for a 300 H&H magnum. We have the action - complete with Apel swing off mounts - and a magazine that has had some work done on it already.
After that the 500 Jeffery is on the cards.

Great Rifles guys,,started me thinking,I have two M98s from 1941 and 1944 both converted from 8mm to 30-06 and 7mm rem mag, I like the 404Jeff idea but wonder which one would be the better to convert or is it even feasible,thanks

I built mine on a 50's FN that had its first barrel in 30-06 then another in 7.61 S&H before it became a 404 Jeffery

As far as which is better,, well lets just say there are better choices than either. First of all a M98 Mauser is on the small side for building a .404J. It can be done but will require more work than if starting out with a larger more suitable action. Plus both of those are wartime actions, and the further along the war went, the less quality control was exerted over manufacturing. Get them done and to the front! It doesn't cost that much to buy a newly made action more suitable for the build. JMHO.

As far as which is better,, well lets just say there are better choices than either. First of all a M98 Mauser is on the small side for building a .404J. It can be done but will require more work than if starting out with a larger more suitable action. Plus both of those are wartime actions, and the further along the war went, the less quality control was exerted over manufacturing. Get them done and to the front! It doesn't cost that much to buy a newly made action more suitable for the build. JMHO.
Both actions were Austrian one built in 1941 the other in 1944 if that helps,,I have a 375HH Zastava that would most likely be the easist but I'd like to keep it 375

The actions are great, but again they are small for a .404 and very old. The Zastava is also a fine action but no larger than the 98's you have. The only advantage it has ( some would say disadvantage) is the box has been lengthened and had steel removed from the lower locking lug area to gain length. Its said by some to be a weakening factor in the action but mine has digested hundreds of rounds with no setback. To clarify, in order to gain mag box length going forward, steel had to be removed from the lower lug area which shortens the feed ramp and takes steel out of the lower locking lug recess. All of this because the 98 action was designed to house a shorter cartridge than the 30-06, ie. the 8x57 Mauser, so for it to hold 3.6 inch long rounds it has to "stretch" internally. There ain't no free lunch. The best of the Mauser actions are prewar, up to about 1938. When they started towards war footing, quality would begin to suffer after that.

The M98 action can be lengthened for the 404J by taking material out of the back of the action and leaving the front locking lug area alone.

It wont be enough. Why else has Zastava and others always done this? Yes, they move things back as well but you can only go back so far before the bolt length becomes an issue, then you have to go forward as well. And anyway its a moot point really. It doesn't hurt anything to my knowledge and Zastava has been doing it for many years this way. I know the .404 can be done on a std 98 action, hell, Harry Selbys famous .416 was done this way, but I am just saying there are better starting points for such a project.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AishaYpd4

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross