Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
DSC Life Member, International Member PHASA
Hunted
Several of the lower 48, Alaska, South Africa, Ireland, Argentina, Peru
Anyone have a recommendation on a Dallas area gunsmith?

I'm not needed anything super difficult done.. just looking to have the LOP shortened on a laminate stock on one of my wifes rifles.. and a new (better) recoil pad installed... and to have a mercury recoil reducer installed in a rifle of mine (and perhaps a little additional weight in the forend too)..

Where I am at (Canada) there are a lot of gunsmiths but few I trust absolutely. I presumed that there would be more quality ones in your area. Good luck with your search and let us know how it turns out.

that's my challenge... I've got a great gunsmith that I trust and have used for the better part of the last 10 years... but.. he's a 7+ hour drive away...

We just re-located to the DFW area in the last 10 months.. so I'm looking for someone that can do some basic/routine type work.. but that will do it well, and for a reasonable fee.. There are gunshops and gunsmiths on every corner here it seems.. but I know next to nothing about any of them... (Hoping to figure out who is good and who is not so good soon)...

The gunsmith I use is in another province. I drop off the gun at the post office and he C.O.D the return. It is actually really easy.

A 7 hour drive wouldn't prevent me from going to a quality gunsmith. the best gunsmith that I have known passed away some years back from cancer. I've tried a few since then but haven't had work done that I was really impressed with, so haven't proceeded with any major projects.

I have a friend in Ft. Worth, let me ask him who he uses. Not sure what brand you have, but for myself anything Browning I send off to Art's Guns and Parker goes to Del Greco & Sons.

With all the DSC members in and around. Dallas there has to be a good gunsmith. Swing by the Cabelas and ask someone at the gun counter who to use?

Anyone have a recommendation on a Dallas area gunsmith?

I'm not needed anything super difficult done.. just looking to have the LOP shortened on a laminate stock on one of my wifes rifles.. and a new (better) recoil pad installed... and to have a mercury recoil reducer installed in a rifle of mine (and perhaps a little additional weight in the forend too)..

My first job out of college was in Ft. Worth. I met my wife in the area and so I make it back to DFW not only for DSC but to visit family. My father-in-law and I used to go to this place just to kick around a bit. I can't remember if I ever bought anything there. But it is a bit of an icon in Dallas. If you ever go to the shop, you will be seriously wondering just what the heck I've got you into as the location is not good at all. But it's been there forever and seem to have a good reputation. Maybe they can help you out.

Ray's Sporting Goods
730 Singleton Blvd
Dallas, TX 75212
(214) 747-7916

Thanks Phil, I'll check Ray's out! I'm always looking for another gun shop to burn some time in.. Would love to check out an icon establishment or two.. I'm still getting used to DFW.. and wouldn't know if an establishment has been around 5 years or 50 at this point...

I decided to give McClelland Gun Shop's gunsmith a try.. their gunsmith had some decent online reviews.. and I noticed they had several used big bores listed for sale on their webpage.. so I assumed they probably have at least a few DSC types that use/trust them and shop there..

Its a small shop, just outside of Garland.. like Rays, its not in a great location either.. but.. not its in a horrible part of town or anything..

I figured I only wanted to get a pad job and the LOP shortened on a pretty basic rifle.. so.. it would be a good opportunity to do a test run and see how things turned out..

I dropped the rifle off a few days ago and just picked it up (3 day turn around on service.. that was nice!).. I found both the staff at the shop and the gunsmith friendly and helpful... and the work he did, while simple, was done well.. it was a quality job..

The price was slightly higher than what I have paid my gunsmith in Tennessee.. but wasn't outrageous by any stretch.. to take an inch off the stock, and to install a grind to fit pachmeyr decelerator he charged $80 in total for labor.. the price for the pad was a couple of bucks higher than I could have gotten it online or at a large store like Bass Pro or Cabelas. but.. I expect that when dealing with a small business and don't mind paying a couple of bucks more for good service and nice people..

I was pretty pleased overall with McClellands.. I'm sure Ill use them again (still planning on getting some weight added to my .375.. and may have them install a recoil reducer in the stock..)...

I know the owner of Ray's.... It is now Ray's grandson. Let me know if you ever need an intro.

I know the owner of Ray's.... It is now Ray's grandson. Let me know if you ever need an intro.

Well that's pretty cool. I think you'd agree with me the location is not so great. When you drive up, you really haven't a clue how cool it actually is on the inside. Big selection and nice folks, at least that's how it was, I'd guess that hasn't changed.

Yeah.... pretty rough hood. However they Dallas put a ton of money into a bridge that takes you over there, over the Trinity.... and now several retailers, restaurants, food truck, breweries, etc. have moved in. It is becoming a little more "eclectic", than the ghetto it used to be. Same for Oak Cliff, East Dallas & uptown..... 20 years ago nobody wanted to be there. Now the 20-40 crowd doesn't want to live in the suburbs anymore they want to be down there. Go figure.

Shared information like this will sure help others in the area.

Yeah.... pretty rough hood. However they Dallas put a ton of money into a bridge that takes you over there, over the Trinity.... and now several retailers, restaurants, food truck, breweries, etc. have moved in. It is becoming a little more "eclectic", than the ghetto it used to be. Same for Oak Cliff, East Dallas & uptown..... 20 years ago nobody wanted to be there. Now the 20-40 crowd doesn't want to live in the suburbs anymore they want to be down there. Go figure.

My time there was 90-91 and nobody wanted to be in those parts. But that's good the old parts of Dallas are getting some renewal.

I'm not trying to hijack the OP's thread but I sure could use some recommendations on a qualified gunsmith to work on my CZ 550 in .375 H&H around the Houston area. And like Ray B stated, I wouldn't mind driving for quality work. Thanks all.

I'm not trying to hijack the OP's thread but I sure could use some recommendations on a qualified gunsmith to work on my CZ 550 in .375 H&H around the Houston area. And like Ray B stated, I wouldn't mind driving for quality work. Thanks all.

@Buff-Buster lives in that area, he may be able to help you.

When I have work or restoration done on a best rifle or shotgun the mileage is a lot farther than you're proposing. Last job was from Chicago to Vermont, then to Mass, then to Connecticut, then back to Vermont, then to Northern Illinois, then to Chicago, then to Tennessee and back.

Point being is this: Mastery of any task happens after 10,000 hours on the job. That applies to journeymen carpentry, masonry, applied math, chemistry and gunsmithing.

With gunsmithing, you're a journeyman stocker after 10,000 hours. Again another 10,000 hours for action filing, browning, case coloring, pads/checkering/oil finishing, laying ribs and striking barrels, cutting rifling, making locks, engraving, cutting and filing claw/pivot mounts, etc.

When best guns were made 20 people with at least 10,000 hours of training each came together to make that beautiful gun. We now expect a guy with a 6 month correspondence course to be able to repair or reproduce any and all of those tasks. And this is why gunsmiths suck and why everyone is sorta hesitant to give you a glowing recommendation of a guy close by. The best gunsmiths in this nation refuse work for which they are not qualified and therefore it becomes a game of collecting all the names you need to get the work done on your project.

I have one guy that is exceptional at cutting stocks and doing pads and recoil reducers. He's in far northern Illinois. He's the best I've seen and he's reasonable. Once I let the guy that refinishes wood and services Purdey/Holland/Dickson do a pad for me in a rush last year and it looks like crap... I should have known better, its not his center of excellence.

You need a lot of gunsmiths.

***For your CZ550 the company doing business as the CZ custom shop would be a great resource as that's all they do so they have mastery of the rifle. Reasonable priced but in Missouri.***

I use Pitchford Custom Gunworks. www.pcgguns.com

Thanks very much. Looks good and I will definitely give him a try next time. For this CZ I am going to ship it to the custom shop they use. Thanks for the suggestion Rookhawk.

See? One more reason this site is the best.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
majisman

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross