CZ550 or M70

Yes, heresy...

The same kind that got Galileo into trouble, when he tried to say that it was the Earth orbiting the Sun and not the other way round. :D

Just remember that one mans heresy is another's fact or the 3rds folly. I like the CZ and Rugers. Shot a bunch of M70 but never had one stay in the safe where the CZ's and Rugers always stay.

No doubt in my mind the M70 is a better rifle than the CZ would ever be. I have owned 3 CZ 375 rifles, 1 458 Win CZ and 1 458 Lott CZ. Feeding on the 375 is fine, not close to a M70, M70 has a conical loading breach that helps when feeding any type of bullet, CZ has a straight cut one and can cause problems. It will be a long long time before I would own another CZ. Still own a Pre 64 in 375 and wont swop it for 3 CZ's.
If you want to get to know your gunsmith well, buy a CZ if you want to get to know the gun range well buy a M70;)

I have a model 70 in 375H&H which is a left-handed model which I love. I bought one of the new model 70's for my stepson in 30-06, it is flawless. Have bought other rifles and none come close to being the gun the model 70 is, some of which cost a lot more. Action is as smooth as other very expensive rifles. You cannot go wrong and won't need to have it "worked" on to make sure it feeds and shoots well.

To each his own. We own a M70 Classic LH Stainless in 416 Rem that has needed work to feed and function. I also own a CZ 550 in 500 Jeffery that needed work to feed and function flawlessly. I prefer the CZ 550.

Well I finally located a M70 and a CZ550 to shoulder. The CZ was in a 458. The M70 was in a 30 caliber can't remeber which. After shouldering the two I feel in love with the CZ for me it fit quite well seemed to drop a touch more in the heel. I began paying down at my local gun store where I spend so much of my time on a new one. I ordered a CZ550 American Safari in 375 H&H. Should be here next week. Thank you all for answering my post and for offering your insight. I will let you all know how it handles and looks upon arrival.

I realize I'm coming late to the party, but I'm glad you went with the CZ. I still have a sour taste in my mouth about the new production "Winchester" M70's. I can appreciate that the new manufacturers are probably better at it than the last run of Winchester made guns, but a Winchester ain't a Winchester if it ain't made by Winchester, in my book.

I'm a Ruger guy, but sadly, there isn't Magnum option available for them these days. In cutting this same mustard for myself lately, with a CZ, an M70, and a Ruger on the table, I picked up TWO of the Rugers first, but was compelled enough to not be willing to leave the CZ behind, and I didn't even look back at the M70. As such, I'm building on two Ruger M77 Hawkeye actions for a 458WM and a 338WM/416 Ruger, then planning a Lott in the CZ550 action.

My first brand new centrefire rifle was a push feed Model 70 short action Featherweight. The action was drilled slightly off centre, which meant that there wasn't much timber to one side of the barrel at the fore-end tip after (necessary) floating and I ended up cutting off the schnabel to eliminate the lopsided look.

Feeding was not quite as good as it should be but I could count on the first shot from a cold barrel going to the same spot every time. A 3 inch 5 shot group was pretty much minimum and 10 shot groups were a joke.

I won a 200m shoot with it on a windy day and got a nice representative chamois with it but it was essentially useless for shooting practice and feeding was never fully reliable.

Other people of my acquaintance have had better experiences and I would happily own a controlled feed Model 70 but would get a gunsmith to solder a protective flange to the left side of the bolt shroud.

Take both ... (y) M70 : .416RM 400 (DG) or 300grs (heavy ..PG) efficient and cheaper than .416 Rigby and CZ 550 other caliber .375H&H or 9.3x62 mauser or .300WM for PG.

I have owned and shot both for several years. Pre 64 Winchester .model 70 in 243 (don't hold it against me Bob I came to my senses and got rid of it) and a CZ 550 FS in 9.3x62. The CZ is more accurate. I like the model 70 3 position safety better. The model 70 carries better and rides the shoulder better The CZ stock with hogs back fits me better. The CZ set trigger is head and shoulders better that the 70. With all that said the best rifle shot I ever made was with the winchster. Ground hog off hand at 425 paced off yards. I also liked the lower scope mounting on the winchester. Both are great rifles with both having good features. I will not sell my CZ but honestly if the model 70 had been a 30-06 I would still own it. Can't go wrong with either rifle.

They are both great rifles. I am heavily invested in M-70’s but consider the M-70 and CZ actions fairly equal.

I have to say that the two highest quality actions I have are my Rigby Highland Stalker and a pre-war commercial Mauser.

They are both great rifles. I am heavily invested in M-70’s but consider the M-70 and CZ actions fairly equal.

I have to say that the two highest quality actions I have are my Rigby Highland Stalker and a pre-war commercial Mauser.
Mine would be my Mannlicher Schoenauer model 1905 slippery as a greased pig.

Had a CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in 375 hh that functioned great out of the box. My CZ 458 Lott would not function out of the box brand new. Sent it to AHR and wayne fixed it up excellent. So my experience with CZ was hit and miss. I do believe they are a fantastic action to build from with the right gunsmith but they may need work out of the box especially 458's. I am also a big fan of the Winchester Model 70. They will likely need less work out of the box in my experience.

I have owned a number of Mausers and, with the exception of a Mauser 3000, liked all of them. Last year I bought a NIB mid-90s Model 70 Safari Classic in .375 H&H. It functioned perfectly from the begining, but I did not care for the stock, so it is being restocked. I have no experience with the CZ CRF rifles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlieRiggs

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross