Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI; DSC
Hunted
Most of US, Canada, South America, New Zealand, Australia, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Uganda, Cameroon, Spain, Serbia, Slovenia, Macedonia
I put a Nikon 1x4.5 DG series scope on my CZ 550 in 458 Lott. I noticed when I mounted the scope that it did not have goves cut into the weaver-style mounting slides, like many other guns. I just I did not pay enough attention to that.

I used Weaver-style quick release mounts made by Leopold and made sure that the long-eye relief scope could not hit my head. I did not anticipated the scope coming off.

I went to the range yesterday to shoot some new loads and at the first shot I was knocked to the ground and bleeding badly over my right eye. I left the gun, scope and everything on the bench (I was shooting from a standing position) for treatment. A minor concussion and no stitches were required but it hurts pretty bad.

Has anyone had any similar experience with the CZ mounting system and what solutions do you have. It shoots very well with open sights and I may go that way from now on. But I really did want to scope this gun. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I would rather not get hit with a scope coming back at my head from a gun that generates more than 5,000 ft/pds of energy again. Once was enough.

I guess it is also a good reminder to us all to check every aspect of our weapons before the shooting starts. Safety first! I have a concussion as a reminder (assuming I can remember anything in a couple of days) and doubt I will forget to double check everything before I take to the range or field again.

Sorry to hear about your mishap. I have never used the Leupold on a CZ......on the two I owned previously... a .458 and a .416 Rigby......I used Warne QD rings. Never had a moments grief on either rifle.

First of all I hope you are OK, that must have been painful.

The CZ uses a ring set built specifically for the integrated bases on the rifle. I bought Talley quick release for my rifle.

I believe Warne makes a very good set that works better for the left hand rifles.

DSC00587.jpg

Attachments

• DSC00587.jpg
    DSC00587.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 4,601
Mike,
Those Tally's fit right onto the existing 19mm dovetail on the receiver? I'm looking into a 1.5-5 Leupold VXIII for my .375 and these rings would be pretty nice for it!

Yes the Talley and Warne Rings are built specifically for the CZ.

If you are left handed use the Warne Rings. They are built slightly different and can be reversed.

The Talley Rear ring on my rifle is modified to work on the left hand gun.

This is the link to Talley www.talleymanufacturing.com

Scope for the .458 Lott

Hello!

Sorry to hear that you had a problem with the scope mounts failing and hope you will be ok!

I use the CZ-550 Safari Classic rifle and I have it scoped with a Burris scope and us the Warne Scope Mount quick detach rings made specifically for the CZ-USA rifles.

I have never had a problem and they have always gone right back to zero everytime.

Here is a link to an ad that I did for Warne Scope Mounts as I really believe in them.

The rifle in the video is a CZ-USA 550 in .458 Lott.

Good luck and you have a great gun, caliber and combination for the dangerous game of the world!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
First, I hope you are doing okay!!!!

I second the Warne rings for the CZ. I normally use Leupold mounts for everything, but the type Leupold made for the CZ didn't line up right. I got the Warne (non-QD) and have had no problems with my 375 H&H.

I am OK. I hit my head the next day again (probably a little dazed from he day before) and now will need about a week to be sure. That will give me time to look up the rings mentioned. Obviously I need to do something different.

And for the record, if the bullet hits as hard as the scope did - its one heck of a hard hitting gun.:eek:

First post gentlemen.

Medium Warne QD Maximas on my .375 H&H 602. It does not move and because of the rear lug it holds its zero well.

IMG_5483.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5483.jpg
    IMG_5483.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 2,437
The Warne QD Lever rings are perfect on my CZ550. I like them so much my Weatherby MK V and Winchester M70 rifles have them also..

An alternative is a Recknagel mount, possibly available through NECG in the USA. It looks higher on the rifle than it is, but on a long magnum action allows a scope with a large objective to be mounted as the front base is dished. It is semi Q/D with a coin or back edge of a knife and also has the recoil lug built in. It will fit all BRNO and CZ's with a 19mm dovetail.

Here it is on my .416 Rigby CZ. Scope is a Leupold custom shop 1-4 x 20 #4

watermark.php

watermark.php

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got the Warne QD rings for my CZ 375. There is about a 2mil gap between the bolt and the scope. Is that normal or should I raise my scope? Would raising the scope take the recoil lug out of position?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
febixix695

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois