CZ 550 express sights... useless?

Discussion in '.375 & Up' started by matt85, Mar 23, 2014.

1. matt85

matt85 BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Enthusiast

I tried using the iron sights on my 550 magnum (375 H&H) today and was very disappointed! the POI was substantially lower then POA, if set for 100 yards the gun shot more then 12 inches low at 50 yards. in order to even get the POI even close at 50 yards I had to use my hand loads and set the express sights for 300 yards (factory loads are slower and have an even lower POI).

I hoped to use the express sights for my buffalo hunt but unless I can do something to fix this issue that idea is out. suggestions?

thanks
    -matt
  2. PeteG

PeteG AH Veteran

matt,
    I have the same on my 416, shoots about 2' low at 100 yards.
    if I use the 300yd sight, it is pretty much spot on at 100 as well.
    spiket had the same result with my rifle when he shot it, I thought it may be the way I was setting up.
    if I really squeeze my cheek down I can see the sight pic change, but may loose a few teeth in the process of firing like that!!
    I'm looking at shortening the barrel a bit and then trying a lower sight.
    if you find a solution, let me know...
    cheers
    pete
  3. Code4

Code4 AH Enthusiast

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SSAA
    Hunted:
    Australia, Zimbabwe, RSA, NZ, UK.
    I hope you weren't expecting to buy a rifle with open sights already perfectly aligned to your own individual eye sight ? because it was never going to happen.

Here is how to adjust your sights:

You can use these guidelines to help you remember which way to move your sights to bring the point of aim (POA) in line with the point of impact (POI).
    To move the line of sight DOWN (the shot hit BELOW the point of aim) the REAR sight is RAISED or the FRONT sight is LOWERED.
    To move the line of sight UP (the shot hit ABOVE the point of aim) the REAR sight is LOWERED or the FRONT sight is RAISED.
    To move the line of sight LEFT (the shot hit LEFT of the point of aim) the REAR sight is moved RIGHT, or the FRONT sight is moved LEFT.
    To move the line of sight RIGHT (the shot hit RIGHT of the point of aim) the REAR sight is moved LEFT, or the FRONT sight is moved RIGHT.

You need to fit a lower front sight or higher rear sight. This is a great chance to fit an aftermarket improved front bead. If you are having problems with cheek weld I would replace both.

Hunting and shooting with open sights can be very, very rewarding.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

4. DOC-404

DOC-404 AH Elite

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Namibia, Angola, Botswana, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Mozambique and Poachers.
    ..do what I did Bud, get yourself one of these and never look back, much quicker and easier to use than express sights..

CZ 550 GHOST RING PEEP SIGHT | Brownells
  5. spike.t

spike.t GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    sci int, basc
    Hunted:
    zambia, tanzania, zimbabwe, hungary, france, england
    pete i have had a look and midway uk has them in stock if you want me to bring one out.
  6. PeteG

PeteG AH Veteran

yeah thanks mike, go for it.

Doc did you remove the rear sight when you put on the peep?
  7. spike.t

spike.t GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    sci int, basc
    Hunted:
    zambia, tanzania, zimbabwe, hungary, france, england
    will do
  8. DOC-404

DOC-404 AH Elite

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Namibia, Angola, Botswana, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Mozambique and Poachers.
    :master:
  9. matt85

this comes across as somewhat insulting... however im going to assume you didn't mean it as such.

I have spent my entire life shooting with iron sights, in fact scopes are a new thing for me. I purchased my first scope late last year and im still learning proper scope selection. out of the numerous rifles ive owned this rifles iron sights are easily the furthest from POI hence this post. what's problematic is the sights are non-adjustable with no method to raise the rear sight or lower the front sight and the front sight is not a simple blade which could be filed down. new front sights are available but all the ones ive found so far are taller rather then shorter. im hoping to find some shorter front sights somewhere and will keep looking around online.

DOC-404, the peep sight would solve my short range problem but would get in the way of my quick detach 3-9x40 which I need to be able to switch to in case I come across my other desired critters. will keep it mind though, thanks for the suggestion!

-matt
  10. Norwegianwoods

Norwegianwoods SILVER SUPPORTER AH Elite

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    Norway, Sweden, England, South Africa
    matt85, there is made ghost rings that you can fold down when you want to use a scope.
    Sadly I don't remember where you can find it on the net.

There should not be much of a problem for a skilled gunsmith to mount your whole rear sight a bit higher either.
    But I don't know if this will result in your rear sight getting to high to use a scope.
  11. gxsr-sarge

gxsr-sarge AH Veteran

Member of:
    NRA, SCI, DSC
    Hunted:
    US, Zimbabwe, RSA
  12. matt85

after contacting triple river gunsmithing about a different service I happened to mention my issue with the sights. they told me this was something that is covered under CZ's warranty and they would sight in my gun for free.

-matt
  13. colorado

colorado AH Veteran

My Photos:
    Harlan's a standup guy ...
  14. PeteG

PeteG AH Veteran

matt, that is good news.
    let me know how it ends up.