CZ 550 express sights... useless?

matt85

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
USA, South Africa, and Namibia
I tried using the iron sights on my 550 magnum (375 H&H) today and was very disappointed! the POI was substantially lower then POA, if set for 100 yards the gun shot more then 12 inches low at 50 yards. in order to even get the POI even close at 50 yards I had to use my hand loads and set the express sights for 300 yards (factory loads are slower and have an even lower POI).

I hoped to use the express sights for my buffalo hunt but unless I can do something to fix this issue that idea is out. suggestions?

thanks
-matt

matt,
I have the same on my 416, shoots about 2' low at 100 yards.
if I use the 300yd sight, it is pretty much spot on at 100 as well.
spiket had the same result with my rifle when he shot it, I thought it may be the way I was setting up.
if I really squeeze my cheek down I can see the sight pic change, but may loose a few teeth in the process of firing like that!!
I'm looking at shortening the barrel a bit and then trying a lower sight.
if you find a solution, let me know...
cheers
pete

I hope you weren't expecting to buy a rifle with open sights already perfectly aligned to your own individual eye sight ? because it was never going to happen.

Here is how to adjust your sights:

You can use these guidelines to help you remember which way to move your sights to bring the point of aim (POA) in line with the point of impact (POI).
To move the line of sight DOWN (the shot hit BELOW the point of aim) the REAR sight is RAISED or the FRONT sight is LOWERED.
To move the line of sight UP (the shot hit ABOVE the point of aim) the REAR sight is LOWERED or the FRONT sight is RAISED.
To move the line of sight LEFT (the shot hit LEFT of the point of aim) the REAR sight is moved RIGHT, or the FRONT sight is moved LEFT.
To move the line of sight RIGHT (the shot hit RIGHT of the point of aim) the REAR sight is moved LEFT, or the FRONT sight is moved RIGHT.

You need to fit a lower front sight or higher rear sight. This is a great chance to fit an aftermarket improved front bead. If you are having problems with cheek weld I would replace both.

Hunting and shooting with open sights can be very, very rewarding.

Attachments

• 311872.jpg
    311872.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 737
  • Africa2009003.jpg
    Africa2009003.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 1,186
  • DSCF0032.jpg
    DSCF0032.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 717
yeah thanks mike, go for it.

Doc did you remove the rear sight when you put on the peep?

I hope you weren't expecting to buy a rifle with open sights already perfectly aligned to your own individual eye sight ? because it was never going to happen.

this comes across as somewhat insulting... however im going to assume you didn't mean it as such.

I have spent my entire life shooting with iron sights, in fact scopes are a new thing for me. I purchased my first scope late last year and im still learning proper scope selection. out of the numerous rifles ive owned this rifles iron sights are easily the furthest from POI hence this post. what's problematic is the sights are non-adjustable with no method to raise the rear sight or lower the front sight and the front sight is not a simple blade which could be filed down. new front sights are available but all the ones ive found so far are taller rather then shorter. im hoping to find some shorter front sights somewhere and will keep looking around online.

DOC-404, the peep sight would solve my short range problem but would get in the way of my quick detach 3-9x40 which I need to be able to switch to in case I come across my other desired critters. will keep it mind though, thanks for the suggestion!

-matt

matt85, there is made ghost rings that you can fold down when you want to use a scope.
Sadly I don't remember where you can find it on the net.

There should not be much of a problem for a skilled gunsmith to mount your whole rear sight a bit higher either.
But I don't know if this will result in your rear sight getting to high to use a scope.

after contacting triple river gunsmithing about a different service I happened to mention my issue with the sights. they told me this was something that is covered under CZ's warranty and they would sight in my gun for free.

-matt

after contacting triple river gunsmithing about a different service I happened to mention my issue with the sights. they told me this was something that is covered under CZ's warranty and they would sight in my gun for free.

-matt

matt, that is good news.
let me know how it ends up.

Ironically my CZ 550 in 458 Lott was shooting 7" high with the 100 yard sight and 5" left at 25 yards. Pretty horrible. I drifted the rear sight and purchased a higher front sight. There were shorter sights also at Brownells. Now the rifle shoots 1/2" low at 25 yards so I guess that's a win easily compensated for. The V notch rear is awful though, and I would much rather plain old 30/30 buckhorns! You would think CZ could do better, far better. I have handled a double that presents the easily seen cup and ball sights in exact alignment just as you bring the rifle to your shoulder. This should not be hard for a gun manufacturer.

And oh by the way, most manufacturers will at least bore sight their rifles before shipping them!

Last edited:
this comes across as somewhat insulting... however im going to assume you didn't mean it as such.

I have spent my entire life shooting with iron sights, in fact scopes are a new thing for me. I purchased my first scope late last year and im still learning proper scope selection. out of the numerous rifles ive owned this rifles iron sights are easily the furthest from POI hence this post. what's problematic is the sights are non-adjustable with no method to raise the rear sight or lower the front sight and the front sight is not a simple blade which could be filed down. new front sights are available but all the ones ive found so far are taller rather then shorter. im hoping to find some shorter front sights somewhere and will keep looking around online.

DOC-404, the peep sight would solve my short range problem but would get in the way of my quick detach 3-9x40 which I need to be able to switch to in case I come across my other desired critters. will keep it mind though, thanks for the suggestion!

-matt

Have you checked NECG for a lower front sight? They have very good quality sights. I have no experience w CZ’s so don’t know if they have one to fit. They also have island mounted adjustable express and peep sights. I’ve been really happy with their kit.

this thread is 4 years old! at this point it was so long ago i dont even remember how the issue was resolved.

-matt

this thread is 4 years old! at this point it was so long ago i dont even remember how the issue was resolved.

-matt

Hilarious, I didn’t look at the date!

I tried using the iron sights on my 550 magnum (375 H&H) today and was very disappointed! the POI was substantially lower then POA, if set for 100 yards the gun shot more then 12 inches low at 50 yards. in order to even get the POI even close at 50 yards I had to use my hand loads and set the express sights for 300 yards (factory loads are slower and have an even lower POI).

I hoped to use the express sights for my buffalo hunt but unless I can do something to fix this issue that idea is out. suggestions?

thanks
-matt
I bought all the different front sights for my CZ 550 Safari Magnum which is about 14 different sights varying in height. It made it a whole lot easier to dial in my reloads. Just remember a lower front sight makes the bullet hit higher and a higher front sight makes the bullet hit lower. I suggest that you buy a set of small files because those factory sights don't always fit back in the slot on the barrel so some " fitting" may be required.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlessdiuse

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg