Customs With Connecting Flights

Good to know. Does that mean if I was to have a layover in London say, I would have to go through customs even if not leaving the airport? Or is this just in the country of final destination? I have only flown out of the country once and it was a direct flight to where we were going, so this is all new to me
Some countries have "transit" areas, where you never formally enter the country, and transit to your ultimate destination. If you stay in these areas - sort of the human version of a bonded warehouse - you do not clear customs or immigration. Others do not have those facilities, and you have to clear Customs and Immigration no matter how short your stay in the airport or the country might be. Many US airports are of the "everyone clears Customs no matter what" variety. I think it's a control thing.

With respect to London in particular, I can tell you that Heathrow has transit facilities, and as long as you do not leave the (secure) transit areas, you will not "enter" Britain, and will not clear customs. If you take a wrong turn, you might well find yourself facing Customs people - just follow the "connecting flights" signs, and stay away from baggage claim signs, and you should be fine.

Unless South Africa works differently from other countries I've entered, including the US, you must accompany your bags through Customs. I'm surprised if they can check your bags on through J-burg to another destination.

You can in fact check your bags to your ultimate destination, and it may be important that you do so. Here's one reason why. If the bags are checked from, say, Delta to Jo'burg and then SAA from Jo'burg to Port Elizabeth, then the Delta baggage rules should apply to the entire trip. I flew business class to Jo'burg, which allowed me to check three bags at no charge, up to a maximum of 70 lbs each. But there was no business class between Jo'burg and PE. If my bags had not been checked through to PE, I would only have been allowed two bags and the maximum weight would have been 50 lbs per bag.

So if you are going to Port Elizabeth (as I did two years ago), then check the bags through to there. You will still have to pick them up in Jo'burg to clear Customs with them there (as Brickburn said), but then you put them back on the plane. If you were going on to any other country in Africa, you would not clear Customs or Immigration in Jo'burg unless you were staying the night outside of the airport, for example. And your bags would normally stay in the airport waiting for your flight out of the country.

Hope that all makes sense.

What do these meet and greet companies charge?

To my recollection meet and greet was around $80, but that was on top of the rifle fee that I think was $120. I may be off my a few dollars...

What I don't know is of anyone does the meet and greet without the rifle service?

To my recollection meet and greet was around $80, but that was on top of the rifle fee that I think was $120. I may be off my a few dollars...

What I don't know is of anyone does the meet and greet without the rifle service?
That is what I'm wondering as well

Thanks for the price on the plane tickets. Gives me an idea as to the cost even though I am on the west coast

Either of the two major rifle permit companies should just do a meet and greet for your for a fee.

Rifle Permits.com is a sponsor here on the forum

I used Hunters Support/Air 2000 and had no complaints.

Just to use them to get you through the lines and on your way at security is well worth it.

That is what I'm wondering as well

Just shoot @riflepermits.com a PM or email. Henry is a good guy and I did use the meet and greet last trip. The wife was very pleased to be taken through the dignitary line and not be forced to stand with the common folk. I won't do it when I'm alone, but with the wife that may have been the best money I spent all trip! :E Big Grin::A Shades:

Just double checked the flight info- had it backwards. It's 4hr 20min coming in, 2hr 15min going out, so I should be all set

Henry at @riflepermits.com can arrange a meet&greet for certain even if you're not traveling with firearms. There will be someone right off the jetway who will get you through the immigration in the "short" line.....that is to say you'll go directly to a Passport Control Officer and be stamped and on your way in no time.

Customs at Jo'burg is a bit different than anywhere else I've ever been. It for all intents and purposes appears to not have Customs. You'll just be leave Passport Control / Luggage area and be making your way out to main hallway where you'll now make your way to another terminal for your domestic flight. It's quite strange the first time you go through, but you are in fact being watched. Provided you don't provide a reason to be stopped, you won't be and it will seem like you never went through customs.

My guess is with your luggage checked through and not having a rifle to deal with and presuming you don't get stopped by Customs and if you use Henry's service, your 4 hr 20 min layover will now be down to 4 hrs. If you don't use Henry's service it be maybe 15 minutes less. Jo'burg airport has it's detractors, but the one thing they do is make sure their Passport Control booths are well staffed. So even if you have to stand in line, it won't be much more than 10-15 mins.

So is the meet&greet worth it? I'll let you decide.

Don't forget Afton Guest House. They help with the permit process and do the meet and greet. I have used them twice and they do a great job. Last time was about $100 and well worth it.

AfricaSky Guesthouse is another one - which I use for permits. Also a beautiful place to stay if you have to overnight in Jo'burg.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FreemanHar

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you