Albert GRANT

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
RSA, Canada, Ireland
I'm assuming you don't have to go through customs until your final destination, correct? I will be flying to Joberg direct from jfk, then on to port elizabeth. I don't have to do anything on the layover except wait do I? I have never had an international connection before, so if I sound dumb that's why.

You have to go get your guns and rifle permits then recheck ! I suggest contacting Henry at Riflepermits.com who can facilitate all that for you.

Customs is at Johannesburg ORTambo for entering South Africa!

Yes customs upon arrival in SA at Jpburg

I won't have a gun. Bringing my bow and using the outfitters rifle. So get off the plane, go thru customs, then go to the terminal for the connecting flight? Or do I have to go get luggage and go back thru security? I only have a 2hr 2min layover, wondering if time will be an issue?

Are you staying on the same airline? If so you might not have to get luggage but you still have to go through customs!

Yes its south african jfk to joberg and joberg to port elizabeth

We flew that route last year with some friends that were bow hunting. Their bows and luggage were checked clear through to Port Elizabeth.

And on the return trip their luggage and bows were checked clear through back to the US.

We flew that route last year with some friends that were bow hunting. Their bows and luggage were checked clear through to Port Elizabeth.

And on the return trip their luggage and bows were checked clear through back to the US.
That was what I was hoping! Did you have the short layover as well?

We had a 4 hour layover in Joberg. It was enough time to get our rifle permits taken care of and have a couple of beers before we flew out to Port Elizabeth.

While we didn't use Rifle Permits we used another company for a meet and greet and preapproved rifle permits and they whisked us right through every line that there was where others were just standing waiting. It went so fast that even now I wonder just what we went through when we arrived.

Ok, still wondering if 2hr 20min is going to be enough even without the gun stuff to go through...

Just double checked the flight info- had it backwards. It's 4hr 20min coming in, 2hr 15min going out, so I should be all set

Yes customs upon arrival in SA at Jpburg

You will always go through Customs at your point of entry (arrival) into any country.

Good to know. Does that mean if I was to have a layover in London say, I would have to go through customs even if not leaving the airport? Or is this just in the country of final destination? I have only flown out of the country once and it was a direct flight to where we were going, so this is all new to me

Just a quick question if you do not mind? What did it cost for your round trip ticket? I am headed there again in 2017 and wanted to get an idea.

Just a quick question if you do not mind? What did it cost for your round trip ticket? I am headed there again in 2017 and wanted to get an idea.
Boston to port elizabeth, booked on south Africans website was $1350

If you are worried about the layover use a meet and greet service! The will get you through customs fast!

Unless South Africa works differently from other countries I've entered, including the US, you must accompany your bags through Customs. I'm surprised if they can check your bags on through J-burg to another destination.

What do these meet and greet companies charge?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ara6336349

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you