Founder
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.africahunting.com
Media
Articles
Op-Ed by Ben Carter, Executive Director, Dallas Safari Club

President Nixon was the first to declare war on drugs. Drug abuse, he said, is public enemy No. 1. He vowed more federal resources to prevent new addicts and rehab existing ones. That was 1971. One study estimates the U.S. now spends $51 billion annually on its drug war. And, by all accounts, drug abuse has skyrocketed.

A memorable line from a movie sums it up perfectly: "This can't be a war. Wars end."

Now we've declared war on poachers. Like Nixon, President Obama has promised more federal resources to prevent the indiscriminate killing and black-market trafficking of elephants, rhinos and other wildlife.

Like the war on drugs, the poaching war also is well intended.

But unless we move beyond silly political posturing and showmanship, it may be equally counterproductive.

The flagship in this war, so far, is publicly destroying ivory. As I write this on June 19, 2015, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service officials are proudly loading a full ton of raw elephant tusks, antique carvings and other seized ivory into a huge rock crusher parked in New York City's Times Square. Because of the high-profile location, there is heightened bureaucratic pomp, photo ops and speechifying. Then someone will hit a switch and promptly convert $3 million worth of valuable animal-products into coarse dust.

Ironically, the agency is accepting proposals for re-purposing this dust into educational art projects or symbolic totems to help build public awareness of the plight of elephants.

How about pressing the crushed ivory into the shape of, say, an elephant tusk?

Destroying ivory, war generals claim, will "send a message."

But what that message is, and who's supposed to receive it, and how it might allegedly make a difference, isn't exactly clear. Will Asian consumers, by far the biggest market for ivory, see a Twitter post about Times Square and suddenly rethink the material values of a thousand-year-old culture? Will the cartel traffickers have an abrupt change of heart? Will African triggermen decide to blow off tonight's profits?

To me, the real message is loud and clear: Now more elephants must die to replenish the ivory stocks that we just destroyed for a publicity stunt.

Some law enforcement officials, particularly elected ones, also like to "send messages" by inviting the media and making a show out of setting fire to seized marijuana. We all know how effective that's been in the war on drugs...

But at least no drug bust ever ends with officers burning a pile of seized cash.

Instead, valuable assets are converted to more and better law enforcement, and that's a concept worth considering in the war on poachers. Saving an elephant tonight requires more and better game wardens. More good guys with guns will always discourage bad guys with guns, even in the African bush. And new but expensive technologies such as drones are proving effective in wildlife protection. But the Dark Continent simply doesn't have a superpower bank account. More funding, instead of more unintelligible message sending, would have been meaningful.

Sport hunters walk the talk better than anyone else in Africa. Law enforcement efforts funded by hunters are among the best tools for sustaining wildlife populations against poachers. When managed hunting goes away, so do the animals. It's a fact that too many animal lovers can't seem to wrap their heads around.

So here's a more elementary notion. Basic supply-and-demand principles suggest poaching would slow if ivory stockpiles were used to flood, rather than deny, the Asian markets.

If that happened today, some experts believe, Africa could produce enough ivory to meet world demand forever. Imagine African nations, with cooperation from U.S. and Chinese governments, effectively managing, regulating, harvesting, profiting from - and thus ensuring the future of - renewable natural resources. Sounds a lot like conservation.

Listen, I'm not ready to advocate legalizing drugs or free trade in ivory. The problems are more complex than that, and right now I doubt that either of those fixes would bring ideal ends to their respective wars.

But I am extremely confident that destroying elephant tusks isn't part of the answer.

It just seems pointless.

Wildlife poaching is a serious threat. Taking it seriously should begin with a reality check, followed by international collaboration, resources and way smarter tactics. Surely we can do better than stupid publicity stunts.

Source: Dallas Safari Club (DSC)

Well said sir. This is my argument exactly when I talk to non hunters. I ve said for years we should make the trade of ivory legal. Africa would benefit from it and the poachers would be out of a job. But Jerome that just makes too much sense, you see politicians want fan fare...What is really needed is some high up in the govt that hunts. Someone with extensive hunting experience. Selling ivory and other parts to benefit wildlife just makes too much sense, and that is what most politicians lack.

Pretty sure that if you run for office, common sense gets left at the door. Just another case of Hussein showboating, he has no grip of reality. Same can be said of country leaders of anyone on this forum. Like I said, leave it at the door, you won't need it where you're going.

the moment they burned the ivory those elephants truly died for nothing. As a hunter, it makes me disgusted as hell. You showed them Mr. Politician. What a bunch of dumbfounded mothereffers!!!

I remember reading this the other day and was thinking that this really seemed stupid.

Why don't they crush all of their diamonds in a war against blood diamonds? What about a bunch of kids to stop the trade of kids to pedophiles? (That's extreme sarcasm just in case someone doesn't get it)

Obama and his cronies don't get much of anything right!

@AfricaHunting.com , Jerome not quite sure how to answer your post, but going to give it a good try. 690 000 acres is a big piece of land to operate, cost a large amount of capital.I estimate I have about 600-750 elephant, the first two years there(Mozambique, Niassa) we never saw an elephant from the trucks, 5 years later, we often see elephant, we even have a large herd that is now drinking water at our camp supply at night, actually there often 3 herds near the camp area where they feel safe from poachers. We get zero funding from the govt, in fact we get slapped with more bills from the govt than anything else.

I hunt 3 elephant a year, the highest quota anyone gets in Mozambique. Mozambique is issued 80 permits a year by CITIES. I have to hunt my 3 elephant a season to be able to survive. I truly mean to be able SURVIVE. USF&W won't allow the importation of ivory into USA, do they really think that is helping the elephant in Mozambique? Well it is having the opposite effect. I am battling to market my elephant, and in turn have had to reduce prices. And lose vital capital to operate the area. If the US market was open to us, we wouldn't have a problem marketing the elephant.

I have 39 local staff working for me, they get an income, there isn't other work in the area, I can tell you honestly without the salary they get paid they will go back to poaching to make a living, they need to be able to feed their families.

I don't take advanced bookings, as I don't know if I will be able to run the area the next year. I have to run a fine line to make things work.

Now here we have a public stunt of crushing ivory!!!! Do these MORONS really think that is going to help a single elephant in Africa...the answer is NO!! In fact the exact opposite is going to happen. Somedays I just want to pack it all up and leave, but I have a responsibility to my staff and to the area I love so much, I know if I decided to pack up...those beautiful herds of sable and other animals that we have worked so hard for will be destroyed.

US F&W, you will be the ones with all that elephant blood on your hands when the poachers come in and wipe out those elephant. I squarely blame you for thinking you know better than CITIES.

They have to create a sensation that can be blasted on Facebook, Twitter, and what ever else they use to tell have truth and down right lies. Right and wrong doesn't matter it is what gets you talked about. That worries me because the American people don't have the attention span to truly care about important issues. They can only grasp what the can read in a caption on Facebook.

This was to appease all the SHEEP.......
People will only look as far as the nose on their face......
In Time Square, where they crushed the stockpile of ivory, they also should have filled the bill boards with pictures of elephants and rhinos being poached!!!
Demonstrating the demolition of the ivories only deflected from the true solution. The ivories should have been sold at "below market value" to make it worthless to poach for something that would have little or no value and further, the money from that sale could have gone toward anti-poaching activities.

The Newsweek article that was posted here recently may be useful in this fight too. The author learned the value of hunting in Zimbabwe. TMS, if you or one of your colleagues contacted her I wonder if she would be interested in another angle to her story. Giving her the opportunity to learn what you do to help the elephants may allow her to understand how bad the restrictions are. She is a reporter so there is no guarantee what she will publish. But without the mainstream media understanding the issue there is not much hope.

I agree with what you guys have said here, but a very real possibility if the market is flooded with ivory stockpiles is that the poachers will try to increase their supply of ivory to compensate for the lost profits. This is the practice of so many farmers when wheat prices plummeted in the 1920s. Im not saying that I agree with crushing the ivory, but I think whatever strategy is implemented, it must be a multi-front attack on poaching.

Also, instead of merely tolerating the Chinese consumption of ivory, how about the U.S. and other nations use some of their considerable influence to stop it. Everyone is all too happy to impose embargos on Iran and Russia, or use economic pressure to force environmental regulations in China, but no one is willing to tell the Chinese to crack down on the black market trade or someone else will. It might not be as feel-good PC action as crushing ivory, but it would be a lot more effective.

Pheroze, could you possibly get me contact details. Thanks.

Here is a repost of the link to her article: http://www.newsweek.com/2015/05/08/big-game-reservations-326611.html

The author is Alev Scott. There is a link to her bio and she appears to be a Turkish based writer. I do not see how to contact her directly but there seems to be a link to Newsweek magazine itself. She has a Twitter account and many nice photos. Maybe this is something the magazine will follow up on ("In poacher-plagued Zimbabwe, shooting is said to be a force for good. Our squeamish writer reluctantly joins the hunt.")? I do not know if they would select the writer for the job or just go back to Ms. Scott. I wonder how they got the idea for the story in the first place? Maybe somebody who understands how to find stuff on the Internet will do a better job than I! I hire young people to do this stuff…:LOL:

I noted that the magazine has run articles about destroying ivory etc. so hopefully they will rise up to the best traditions of investigative journalism and research the issue from all sides. I think it may be helpful and persuasive for them to learn directly from people in the field and not just the various spokespersons for various pro-hunting and anti-hunting lobby groups . Good luck.

Doing a Google search it looks like Alev Scott does writes for several news outlets and writes books as well. Her website says the best way to get into contact with her is through her publisher. The publisher doesn't want you to send email to authors and only provides a mailing address:

Alev Scott
c/o Faber and Faber Ltd (Editorial Dept)
Bloomsbury House
74-77 Great Russell Street
London WC1B 3DA
UNITED KINGDOM

Hope that helps.

Thanks Brush.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ekaterina Lobach North Fork Bullets

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!