Cowboyin' Up

brushmore

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
South Africa
I thought I'd share a picture of a new to me Hy Hunter in .44 Magnum which I recently inherited. It's a German Made replica of a Single Action Army. I shot it once when I was a kid (which was one of the most thrilling moments a kid can have!) but I'll have to wait a bit to try it out again since I have a broken finger.

44_mag.jpg

Nice looking revolver. My condolences on the circumstances by which you took possession. Please let us know how it shoots for you. If it is like some of my Rugers, lighter loads will print very close to the heavier loads, and are just as effective on deer sized game.

Very much like the style.

Nice pistol. I used to have a Ruger Vaquero in .45LC. Lots of fun to shoot.

There's not much difference between a fixed and adjustable single action, but god the fixed sights sure look great!

I have a fixed sight Single Six I need to shoot more or sell. I wasn't happy with the indexing, general accuracy, and poi. They fixed the indexing and rotated the barrel for me. Unfortunately they felt that 4" groups off a rest at 25 yards was in spec; actually they said there was no spec for accuracy :mad:

I did finally get a chance to take this to the range about a month ago and it was a lot of fun to shoot! I am not the best handgun shooter but I did manage to get most shots on the paper at 25 yards. So I am happy with that.

Nice! :P Cowboy:

not good enough,but youll get better.might check with a gunsmith or the maker of this gun to see if it can handle full 44 mag loads with out blowing up.

I did finally get a chance to take this to the range about a month ago and it was a lot of fun to shoot! I am not the best handgun shooter but I did manage to get most shots on the paper at 25 yards. So I am happy with that.

Offhand?

That's probably better than 75-90% of handgun shooters can do from everyone I see shooting.

Offhand?

That's probably better than 75-90% of handgun shooters can do from everyone I see shooting.

Yes, offhand. It's definitely going to take more practice on my part since shooting a revolver like this is a new experience for me.

Yes, offhand. It's definitely going to take more practice on my part since shooting a revolver like this is a new experience for me.
I have a 4" redhawk that I throw a 310 grain HC bullet out of at about 1200 fps. It is definitely a heavy hitter. I am not gonna claim to be a good shot, but I have definitely improved by modifying my hold and trigger control. Calibers from .44 mag up require a different level of dedication to master... I don't know how much magnum handgunning you have done but I find that using the two handed grip with your thumps on top of each other like Jerry Miculek below, really allows you to control recoil.
4457841685_0401d621c3.jpg

If you have any troubles with it. Jerry now has a youtube channel where he has some fun videos, but also some great instructional videos. Incidentally, That looks like a 629 in .44 that he is shooting in the picture. He is probably the best revolver shooter in the world and I am very glad he started showing some of his techniques on video.

Attachments

• 4457841685_0401d621c3.jpg
    4457841685_0401d621c3.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 328
Offhand?

Agree, I see people at 7 yards at the range not getting close to the bullseye. I find that scary. One nice man had a 9mm compact pistol with fixed sights thought they were off. I shot it for him, they weren't. I told him to practice stance, grip, sight picture, trigger control and dry fire a bunch. He was doing really well half an hour later. I'm an ok shot with my 45 can keep everything in the black (6" diameter circle) without trying hard at 25 yards, I usually finish up at 50 to humble myself (it works really well lol)>

It's remarkable how much difference proper instruction can make for handgunners. Folks take for granted how easy it is to pick up a rifle and connect on target, but taking away those 2 points of contact at your shoulder and cheek make all the difference in the world. Teach a shooter how to build a shot from the ground up, and the bullets find their way to the target pretty easily.

I've used, for over 15yrs now, the NRA/Winchester Marksmanship Program (Patch Program) in my handgunning classes. It's a progressive program which builds ambidextrous proficiency as the shooters advance from patch to patch.

I have a few single actions. Hear was my 1st. A Ruger Varqero in 45 Long Colt. It's a great shooter nice balance and built strong. When I shoot it I feel like one of the magnificent 7

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arecruitment880

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!