Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
This is a news article that I just ran into in Zimbabwe.
Just thought it might be of interest to those booking hunts in the next year in Zim.

Council, safari operators clash
By Emilia Zindi recently in Nyaminyami, Kariba
Sunday, 24 July 2011

NYAMINYAMI Rural District Council in Kariba has invited an independent evaluator to assist in the valuation of lease agreements it entered into with three safari operators.

This comes amid revelations that the leases expired three years ago before the operators were awarded a rollover of four years under unclear circumstances.

The operators are also being accused of under-declaring revenue to council despite making huge profits.

Operators are expected to pay 41 percent of their full quota to the local authority, 55 percent to the community and 4 percent to the Association of Rural District Councils.

Information gathered last week indicates the operators, whose nine-year lease expired three years ago, were awarded a rollover to operate for another four years without going to tender as required.

Under normal circumstances, council was supposed to have gone to tender upon expiry of the leases.

However, it is alleged procedure was not followed after the operators allegedly successfully negotiated to continue operating up to 2014.

Efforts to get comment from the operators were fruitless as they were said to be out of the country.

Council chief executive officer Mr Daniel Mackenzie said negotiations for the rollover were done before he joined the council in 2006.

As a result, he said, it was difficult for him to reverse the agreements. The operators are also threatening to sue the council if the leases are cancelled before 2013, he said.

This was done before I joined the council. We have submitted our concerns to the Association of Rural District Councils over the contents of the lease agreements, which seem to favour the safari operators.

This is why we have invited an independent evaluator to come and evaluate the agreements and see whether we are getting maximum benefits.

He said the local authority was selling wildlife to the operators for a song after which the operators sell the same at inflated prices overseas.

At present, council is selling an elephant for US$9 200, a buffalo for US $2 200, a leopard for US$1 200 while a zebra and impala fetch US$500 each.

Mr Mackenzie indicated that indigenous Zimbabweans were working as fronts for foreign safari operators.

The same white guys go overseas to sell these animals and we do not know for how much they are selling them he said.

Mr Mackenzie added that the pricing of wildlife was a major problem as some of the safari operators in the area have been hunting for more than 25 years now.

The three operators are in Omay Area 1, Omay Area 2 and Gachegache.

He said the operators initially hunted between 150 and 200 buffaloes per year, but the figure went down to 50 owing to poaching. The number of elephants also declined with operators hunting as little as seven of the giant mammals per year.

It is understood the operators have not been paying the stipulated fees, citing the lack of quality hunting trophies.

The council chief executive said: we are looking at retaining these concessions or auctioning our animals so that we do away with the middleman.

Council considers wildlife its main source of revenue. It is, therefore, important that safari operators pay their dues.?

Source: The Sunday Mail

I heard this last year. It really helps to know the area you are going too.

Seeing it in current news in Zim it then leaves me wondering who is running the place and if your "booked hunt" is going to be going ahead and if there will be anything there worth shooting when you arrive. You sure need to research your destinations.

Having hunted in the Omay this August it would be interesting to hear from one of the operators in this area. Certainly there appears to be plenty of buff and elephant.

richteb, it may be a relative comparison being made. I agree, it would be great to hear from one of the outfitters on this.

Seriously guys, this is the Herald newspaper we are talking about, a newspaper owned and run by Zanu PF. This is old and fabricated news from one irate councilor trying to get ahead politically, we have addressed it and it is of no concern, just another typical Zimbabwe newspaper publication. If I had any concerns, any booked clients or any potential hunters would have been notified.

Mart

Thanks Martin I appreciate your feedback. It seemed to have a political overtone but still leaves you needing to do research.
Who is this guy and what is he hoping to gain then? Is this just the next in a list of negotiating techniques?

Thanks Martin. I agree with brickburn. Maybe someone should do a story on the state of the councils nice new toyota landcruiser that I saw driving around. LOL. Perhaps the Council Chief executive could comment as to how this vehicle was funded, despite Zimbabwes 100% import tax on vehicles. Or the new buildings that are being constructed, I am sure that the safari operators have not contributed at all towards this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross