Cost to get hunting trophies home

Not 100% sure but I am thinking they are charging you that just to cape and skin your animals. Not sure why but I have seen more the a few outfitters in Namibia charge for that service. I guess because a lot of there other fees are lower then must other countries they do this to make some extra cash.

Bill I have a feeling your right. I am going to e mail the person who handles booking etc and find out exactly what its all about .

Just heard back from my Namibia outfit. 30 euros shoulder mount or life size capeing( 95 euros) is for CAPEING ONLY. The price for salt/dip/split is 20 euros for leopard, kudu ,hartebeest, and eland. For small antelope like steenbok 15 euros.

I know the cost isn't much but it still bug's me a little. This will be a first for me, but then again if I take a leopard I m not going to remember much I ll be on cloud nine.

This is the one I was telling you about Dennis.

Attachments

• my leopard pose.jpg
    my leopard pose.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 299
Fellas, not to sound stupid, but when checking what my rep from my PH sent me regarding dip/pack I did also see clean/bleach at these prices Leopard ( in euros) 87, hartebeest 88, kudu 80 eland 93 and small antelope 39. I assume this is part of the process not just salt/dip/split am I correct?

That would be skulls cleaned and bleached ready to be hung for the must part is my guess if you only want to do euro mounts.

That would be skulls cleaned and bleached ready to be hung for the must part is my guess if you only want to do euro mounts.
Thanks Bill, so I guess what they are charging for split/dip/salt is very reasonable. Is that all that's need to leave the country?

as long as the are approved to do the dipping part that will be all you need to get them shipped.

as long as the are approved to do the dipping part that will be all you need to get them shipped.
I would have to assume they are. They are one of the oldest safari companies in Namibia. I know never assume!

That's why I said if they are.LOL I would bet they are also.

Thanks as always Bill. Sure been an adventure this leopard hunt and I didn't even go yet. You understand.

Hi J if they are charging lower rates on trophy fees the cost of caping comes out in the wash. The other fees if that includes the skin or cape with the skulls it's still reasonably priced. Under 100.00 each and that's a good fair price.

Hi J if they are charging lower rates on trophy fees the cost of caping comes out in the wash. The other fees if that includes the skin or cape with the skulls it's still reasonably priced. Under 100.00 each and that's a good fair price.
That's how I felt also Dennis. No doubt there trophy fee's on some plains game are lower than SA. Higher on others though. Anyway if it's resonable on no matter what it is we just have to take it in stride I guess. Like everyone one else I just to want to be ripped off with outrageous fee's.

Can you not just get them tanned over there, and avoid the dip stage altogether?
I'm planning to hunt Namibia in 2016 and will mount my animals myself, hence I was hoping to get them tanned over there and then sent straight to me.
Can anyone reccommend a quality tanner over there to do this? Would this mean less permits?

Can you not just get them tanned over there, and avoid the dip stage altogether?
I have no doubt someone can tan them. The question will be about the quality.

Would this mean less permits?

Export permits are required no matter what happens.
Will Australia allow wet tan imports?

Thanks Brickburn. Asked another taxo mate over here and yes you can. I guess now the search for a quality tannery commences...

Cheers
blacks

Wanted to bring this thread back up. I'm in the early planning stages for a trip next year. However, I'm an engineer - which means I make spreadsheets for everything including budgeting every aspect of my first safari. I'm trying to estimate costs for get my trophies back to the states for taxidermy. Hoping to get the following: Caracal (full mount), kudu, impala, waterbuck, bushbuck, gemsbuck (shoulder mount), wildebeest, warthog (euro), Zebra (demaske). Basically trying to estimate for dip/pack, clearing customs, transport to Texas. I was estimating about $3k, but have no idea if I'm in the ball park so to speak.

That estimate seems about right. I have 4 crates from 5 trips coming at once with a full mount lioness, cape buff shoulder mount, hippo skull and coffee table with feet and plains game. 7k to send it via air. My last shipment was 2 large crates and it was around 3k if I remember correctly. Best of luck. Shoot straight. Who are you headed over with?

One more post and probably the best one for everyone here.
Peter told me to bring a burlap duffle bag and I would be able to bring my trophies back with me. I went to our local army surplus store and got the biggest one they had. A 30x50 side zipper about $45. Good thing since the split antlers were 40+ inches after being split with the Arapawa Ram skull tied into it. I took a couple nylon straps to put around it one each direction going through the handles on the bag.
We cut small 3 inch pieces of garden hose and put them over the tips so they couldn't poke through the bag.
Peter and I went to the local NZ Ministry for Primary Industries and got a form. Certificate for Game Trophies Exported from NZ
The form cost $50NZ . The costumes people at the airport in Honolulu looked at it and anitialed and dated it and I was off to my next flight.
I am home and am sending the cape to Dennis today. Not the year and thousands of dollars it cost me on my last trip to SA.
Tom
Not sure if this fits this thread? It just showed up on my phone. But maybe you need to think about a different place to hunt.
Check out the thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoelKalman

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg