Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Ducks Unlimited, SCI, RMEF
Hunted
Canada, USA, Michigan, Wyoming, Montana, Colorado, New Mexico, Ohio, RSA, Limpopo, Free State
I finally got my trophies home from my May hunt in Eastern Cape, cost for D&P $1500.00, shipping $790.00 to New York, clearing agent, associated costs plus shipping to SE Michigan $1470. About $3700.00 for 7 animals, Kudu, Nyala, Bushbuck, Impala, MT Reedbuck will be shoulder mounts, warthog, Blue Wildebeest euro mounts. I was told the higher D&P prices are a EC thing, just curious what do you think? Thanks

That's why I ll be mounting my trophies there. Relive Africa taxidermy has done many mounts for members here and when I checked references everyone was very satisfied. I ll be in Namibia this year for leopard which if successful I will have shipped here but any other plains game I plan on sending to Paul Smith of Relive. In 2017 I do have an extensive plains game booked in the eastern Cape and again I will leave them with Relive. Savings are substantial when mounted there from the research I ve done. I know this is a personal preference but saving some money and not sacrificing quality seems to make sense to me.

That dip and pack seems really high to me. Should have been maybe 100.00 and animal and then 10% for the crating. so With relives 2014 pricing on dip / pack would have been around 800.00 if I did the math right. The rest looks to be normal cost for what you got in services.

You guys really need to use me for your taxidermist, I am well aware of what it costs and how to save money on this....
I have three dip pack companies in the East Cape Area, And More in Northern South Africa and west I send MY Clients too. Average for dip pack / per shoulder cape and horns $110.00 small antelope, Bushbuck, Nyala, Impala up to $145.00 large antelope, Kudu , Wildebeest, Gemsbok etc. each at 2015 pricing. Just the horns for a euro 75 - 95. Doc fees and Vet clearance should average $250 low end $350 high end. Always use the Port of Entry at the closest point to the tannery that will be doing the tanning , But then again teamsters gotta make a living if you choose to freight in the US by ground.

Ground fees are ridiculous in the US. In your case "airfreight" to Chicago VS New York would have been maybe $100-$150 more. Thats beats the heck out of ground freight to Michigan that most likely cost you over $750.00++.

Brokers , they are as different as night and day in their pricing, 250 low end up to over 500+ on the high end.

I have my clients trophies all fly into Chicago and it saves them tons of money ! It's the closest Port of Entry to my tannery in S E Michigan. Less than 200 ground miles truck freight. A lot cheaper than ground freight from NY, ATL, LA ,HOUSTON any and more of the ones listed.

Another way overcharged import. SORRY to hear this, it's just not right. Should have been right around 1/2 that.

I get my imports to my tannery with that many trophies dip pack and shipping and clearance for just under $2,000.00 total bill including everything.

Last shipment 2 life-size lions and skulls, dip/pack, docs and vet papers/shipped. Cleared and Delivered. $1,200.00

Those numbers made me shiver. :eek:

The most dreaded and under researched part of the whole trip.

Your right Brick, I've done my research for my clients. Working with some people in Africa that may be able to do the quality tanning I want and can use for my quality of work and then we send tanned skins home! Have not found the guy capable yet, but getting close to do what I want and need for my quality of mounts to be produced from it. But I have a mission to make this happen and then we are out of this dip pack and fees nightmare.

I agree that is crazy high!!!

Dennis, we need to chat before I leave for Namibia , concerning shipping to Chicago instead of NY. I m using SSI to handle my trophies I live in NY as you know so if I can save money by sending to Chicago and not pay that freight from NY to Michigan I m all for that.

Last edited by a moderator:
J got you covered, It's all in the packet your getting to ship here.

Sounds good...You ever figure out the picture on your web site I was talking about? No big deal either way D man.

Thanks for the information, I thought the cheap a$$ was coming out of me. The shipping insurance from New York was almost $600 on my crate, reason I sent it to NY was my taxidermist suggested it. Dennis judging by your area code looks like you are here in Michigan, you will be my first call whenI go back.

I m with you tay50. Already told my clearing agent to re route any of my trophies thru Chicago.

Dip & pack was high in the EC for me, $500 for one hartabeest cape and skull. That was with Carl Human Taxidermy. They fed me a story that there was a $300 goverment fee and their charge was only $200

Dip & pack was high in the EC for me, $500 for one hartabeest cape and skull. That was with Carl Human Taxidermy. They fed me a story that there was a $300 goverment fee and their charge was only $200
Sounds like some African taxidermists are ripping people off. Carl human may just be one of them.

Thanks for the information, I thought the cheap a$$ was coming out of me.

Quite the contrary. You started a very informative thread.

I got my "education" on my first overseas trip to New Zealand a few years back. The freight and customs clearance on a single stag with the antlers split was $1400. My roundtrip airfare was only $800. The local taxidermist took the trophy to his friend the export agent, who then told me the fee. I was never even consulted until the bill came, then was told I had 5 days to pay or the trophy would be destroyed. If I had the time I could have flown there myself roundtrip and picked it up. I now know all dip and pack fees, export fees etc. Before I book a trip. africa may take longer but the fees are more reasonable.

I agree on my recent trip to NZ the capeing/ dip/crate/shipping costs were ridiculous . It will stop me from hunting there again I will tell you that. I really feel they are taking advantage of international hunters, Just like some folks have mentioned here with African taxidermists. My PH in Namibia from what I ve seen on his price list charges 30 euros for capes and and 95 euros for life size capes. I don't know if that is just capeing without dip/pack. But what choice to I have? They do have there own dip/pack station on the farm from what I have read so it would only make sense to use them. Hopefully that will save me a few dollars.

J you ARE most likely looking at the Dip Pack fees, Every PH I know includes all the caping and skinning on the Safari.
I would be shocked to find anyone charging a caping fee at a hunting camp. Isn't that why your there. Check your status of what's included in your day fees, but this for me would be a first in Africa.

These are GREAT prices with the euro rate to US right now for dip pack and I encourage every PH to get this under control. It will be a very very worthwhile for your Safari Company to find competitive rates for dip pack for your clients and or find a reputable company that is not hitting your clients for excessive fees, especially if they are are taxidermists and have a conflict of interest not getting the taxidermy work.

Dennis, just checked his web site again and it just say's capes 30 euros full mount 95 euros...So I am not quite sure, but as I said going to make little difference at that point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HoraceBrei

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!