Cost for Namibia airfare

Lapaiki39

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Member of
B & C, Hunting Fool
Off hand will anyone reveal what it cost to travel between the continental US and Namibia. I would really appreciate any feedback on this especially which city you traveled from and what time of the year the trip was taken. Thanks for all your help!

There are no direct flights so you essentially have three choices: 1) US to J'burg, SA - overnight - and on to Windhoek next day; 2) US to London and then Air Namibia to Windhoek; or 3) US to Frankfurt and then Air Namibia to Windhoek. I don't recomend number 1 because of the hassel and expense of entering and exiting SA just to get to Windhoek. I don't like the idea of transiting Heathrow with weapons, so I strongly recomend the Frankfurt connection. Only downside is spending a long day laying-over in Frankfurt. Airline prices to Frankfurt fluctuate a lot and all the major airlines go there, so a good travel agent can likely find you a deal. Air Namibia has an interactive site (Air Namibia) which will give you a good idea of their costs.

In General Red Leg is correct. I just looked and it appears that Delta still has a direct flight from Atlanta to Windhoek. The last time I went we connected through Frankfurt. Use a good search engine to get an idea. Try Sidestep or Kayak. My son is currently in China. His fare was almost $500 less than his mothers and aunts fare. All by looking and comparing. Good luck.

Lapaiki39,

I made the trip from Houston, TX to Windhoek through J'berg via United in the US and SAA for all other legs of the trip and the cost then was ~$1,900. I booked the airfare through Lori @ Travel Express. She handled all of the airfare and my overnight in J'berg. As with anything, the hassle is what you allow it to be. For me, it was my first safari, so I was able to put up with just about anything. However, I went the last week of September when the safari travel was light, and I only had one other hunter who was trying to clear guns through SA Customs. I had all of the paperwork so that wasn't too bad. I stayed overnight at the Afton Guest House and they treated me very nice. They got me back to the airport the following morning for my flight to Windhoek with no issues. Next trip to Namibia, I will likely try the US-Europe-Namibia route if the costs are comparable so that I can get to Namibia earlier in the day. I lost a day in country due to travel and that was a bummer. I still had a great time and a great safari, though. Lori was a huge help and she handled so much of the stuff that I didn't want to screw up on my own. Check out her web page at TRAVEL EXPRESS and it will connect you to her info. Her husband is also in the hunting business and has some access to other hunts that is worth your time inquiring about for the future. Good luck, travel safe.

Brad

I received this a few days ago while in the process of booking a trip to Windhoek later this year. Short notice, but really cheap rate from Frankfurt to Windhoek.

Just a short note. Air Namibia has a special on for the month of July EUR 350.00 airfare.
This has been done because the TOURISM IS DOWN this year.
It’s a good deal.
REF:: Pam Foerster 6/29/2010

Steve

If Delta is now offering a direct flight from ATL - WDH, that is really good news to hear. I was not aware that there were any direct flights from the U.S. to Namibia. In addition, last year, Air Namibia dropped the London-Gatwick - Windhoek route - I know as I got caught up in this mess and had some difficulty getting re-booked through Frankfurt. I'm looking at Namibia again for 2011 and I saw some really good deals from Frankfurt to Windhoek recently. Air Namibia had round-trip fare for about $760 next May/June. Realistically you could probably fly round-trip from the U.S. for double that. Also check Air Berlin/LTU as they fly direct from Munich to Windhoek, just not as frequently per week.

Thanks for all your help guys, I really appreciate it. I can see there are other options without going tru SA. I tried a delta airline search but have not found the Atlanta to Windhoek route.

I looked on the Delta Website and I can only find a fare from Atlanta to Cape Town SA, tru Amsterdam. Is it allowed to enter SA with firearms tru Cape Town? Actually I would like to go to Capetown instead of Joe-Burg

Brad,

Good to see you on AH.com and thanks for the good words! I think you are about due for another trip across the pond!

Lori

Another option is the way Lori has me booked. From Houston to Paris to Jo'burg and over to Windhoek w/ guns checked all the way through.
Dustin

Lapaiki39 ~

Hopefully this will help you out on some of the routings. There are currently no direct flights from the U.S. to Cape Town - there was some Delta service last year. You can go through Cape Town if you route through London where it would arrive Jo-burg early morning and then make connection to Windhoek. Otherwise, you can transit through Jo-burg and avoid an overnight by arriving in the morning to make a connection to Windhoek on the same day - these flights would be from JFK, Paris, Frankfurt or London. Best routing to Windhoek of course is from the U.S. to Frankfurt and then onto Windhoek direct if the price is right. Of course there are pros and cons to almost every schedule.

Most of the prices vary depending on time of year (season) and reservations can be made right now for travel with a return date of the first of June next year. Let me know if you would like some price quotes.

Lori

This is an intentional and unintentional plug, but LISTEN TO LORI. She has been there and done that as both a travel agent and a hunter and she's really good at it.

Lori, I actually have a hunt purchased for South Africa and New Zealand for next year so I will be calling you for some help. And I'm happy to spread the word, you really did help and thanks again. The travel tips that you sent were very helpful, too.

Dont sweat the long layover in Frankfurt, they have the best brautwurst and beer in the world. I know i used to live there and sampled plenty of both.

- You will be flying to Namibia into Windhoek International Airport, called Chief Hosea Kutako Airport (central Namibia).
- No direct flights from USA to Namibia.
- Popular flights from USA to Windhoek via Frankfurt (with Air Namibia).
- Via Dusselfdorf with LTU.
- Via Johannesburg with either Air Namibia or SAA.
- Do not worry if you need to go via Johannesburg, RSA to Windhoek on one condition we recommend you make use of a meet and greet service that could be recommended by your travel agent.

Enjoy the planning process. Windhoek, Namibia, is a hunters friendly airport!

i travelled from toronto to frankfurt and then direct to windhoek. this avoids going through jo-burg, a much better way. i also used lori at travel express and everything was handled very well. my seats were pre-booked, and had lots of leg room. i had a row of 5 all to myself on the return flight. all last minute flight time changes were sent to me, and she helped me extend my stay in amsterdam on the way home at the last minute. i would highly recommend using her for your travel plans.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack849688

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg