Copper fouling a good thing?

Discussion in 'Firearms & Ammunition' started by Pheroze, Jul 14, 2014.

1. Marcos Rodriguez

Marcos Rodriguez AH Veteran

My Photos:
    I wonder this is an effect of copper in the barrels wich many shooters and hunters have observed as you explain!
    Your method is right! the best way if the rifle works in a season, and then remains innactive!... In my case, i use the rifle in a permanent way! this is because I clean it after 20 or 30 shots...(y)

2. dsmerrills

dsmerrills AH Member

Member of:
    SAHGCA
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Botswana, Zambia, Zimbabwe
    Nothing wrong with your method bud!

3. lcq

lcq AH Fanatic

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NRA CSSA
    Hunted:
    Canada, RSA
    A very senior military armorer once told be there is a fierce debate about copper in a bore. Some feel that it fills in micro holes and cracks the other camp says it doesn't matter. AFAIK there has been no controlled studies. Empirical evidence with your gun is the only solution.

Rider "copper buildup within reason that is"

4. matt85

matt85 SILVER SUPPORTER AH Elite

Hunted:
    USA and South Africa
    i see it this way, in the case of a new gun. you should clean all the copper out after each use. spots in your barrel that collect copper are rough spots and in order to smooth out these rough spots you need to have bullets pass over them. if you leave copper on the rough spots then they will never smooth down since they are being protected by the layer of copper.

I can tell you from personal experience that if you clean the copper out each time from a new barrel it will get easier and easier to clean the copper out. my CZ 550 collected copper like crazy and took a large amount of scrubbing to get clean in the beginning. now hundreds of rounds later it collects much less copper and cleans out very easily with very little effort.

-matt

enysse likes this.
  5. IdaRam

IdaRam BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Fanatic

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member, North American Hunting Club Life Member, Wild Sheep Foundation, SCI
    Hunted:
    Idaho, Utah, Wyoming, Alberta Canada
    Agree with matt (y) My experience as well. My STW collected copper like crazy to begin with, but with repeated thorough cleaning and shooting it collects a lot less copper now.

6. Red Leg

Red Leg SILVER SUPPORTER AH Fanatic

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI NRA DSC life memberships
    Hunted:
    Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique
    I really do think that each barrel is different. Your comments about the debate in the military is exactly correct. I personally believe that most barrels build up a certain level of "fouling" which in effect fills in flaws in the barrel. Some continue to build fouling to a point of inaccuracy but the vast majority that I have owned seem to plateau at what is often the peak accuracy of the rifle. I rarely have any need to scour a barrel once this accuracy level is reached. If it is being shot a bit or carried in weather, a couple of passes with balistoil (miracle product) does the trick. I'll take my S2 and the two sets of barrels I am taking to Moz out to the range this weekend for a couple of shots to ensure they are dry and ready for departure on the 14th. Unless they get wet, I won't run a patch down them again until I get back.

7. lcq

lcq AH Fanatic

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NRA CSSA
    Hunted:
    Canada, RSA
    If I am forced to use a one product for everything eezox is my choice.

8. Brett Becker

Brett Becker New Member

Member of:
    SCI, Australian Deer Association, SSAA
    Hunted:
    Australia, Namibia
    I was told by our distributor for Merkel here in Australia that I needed to shoot at least 200 rounds through my 450/400 without cleaning it what so ever to get it to regulate properly. After putting 200 rounds through it I still had to send it back for them to try and get it to regulate properly, didn't make it shoot any better. Oh by the way that was a couple of months ago and still haven't got the rifle back. Hoping that they won't have to send it back to Germany as that could mean I won't see it for a year or two

9. CAustin

CAustin AH Legend

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    South Africa
    Phoenix Phil I agree with you. Once I start shooting my 300 win mag at the start of the deer season shooting once or twice a week it doesn't get cleaned until season is over.

10. 35bore

35bore AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NRA,Missouri hunters ed, SCI, Owensville Gun Club, Quail Forever
    Hunted:
    USA, South Africa, France
    Guess I follow the fouling shot theory. During the shooting session prior to hunting season, all I do is use a bore snake to get the carbon out and leave some of the copper. As has been previously mentioned, and if you know one, ask. Most military snipers will always do some fouling shots before hitting the field.

11. lcq

lcq AH Fanatic

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NRA CSSA
    Hunted:
    Canada, RSA
    That would be my choice when hunting away from home

12. JTEX

JTEX AH Veteran

Member of:
    NRA, TSRA
    Hunted:
    USA, Mexico, Argentina, SouthAfrica, Zimbabwe
    Typically rough barrels shoot better with some fouling. Smooth barrels typically shoot better clean. I know we ain't needing "benchrest" accuracy but they clean between every realy and they do shoot "fairly" accurately. Generally every rifle even a lapped custom does best after a couple or three foulers after a thourogh cleaning.

13. Marcos Rodriguez

Marcos Rodriguez AH Veteran

My Photos:
    EXACTLY!!! You hit the point!... The "mirror barrels" don´t need the fouling to hit properly!
    My guns have the lapping threatment and a molybdene disulphure impregnant too

14. Russ Tippett

Russ Tippett New Member

Dan Lilja addressed this in a paper on his web site. Quite a good read. He provides an explanation of why both copper deposition and over cleaning are bad. He provides his rationale for a proper barrel break-in as well as why you likely need to do it again if you over clean.

Pheroze and lcq like this.