Converter and Adapter - RSA?

dustyvarmint

AH senior member
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Regarding electric converters and adapters for my I-pods and video camera charging.

1) Do I need a converter for RSA? If so, how do I know it is the right one?

2) Do I need an adapter? How do I know it is the right one? What does it look like?

Read something that the "kits" often don't have the right stuff for RSA.

happy charging, dv

I went through this same exact thing until someone suggested a product to me that really was a no brainer. No matter where you are in the world, almost all vehicles have cigarette lighter (adapters to be Politically correct). What i did was purchase a basic converter that plugs into the cig lighter and then charge my cameras and toys off of that. Works like a charm. No messing with plugs and stuff. Here are a few examples:

1. Pricey but very nice. Enercell™ 150W 3-Outlet Power Inverter with USB - RadioShack.com

2. Cheaper but basic enough. Xantrex XPower Micro Inverter 175 Power Inverter - RadioShack.com

Tom, did you find you had enough time available in the vehicles to do charge items sufficiently? Are those outlets always hot? I've got 3 in my truck and I don't think any are hot when the truck is off?

Owenowen, nice, thanks.

happy hunting, dv

Excellent insight about the "adapter." I’ve bought plenty of kits over the years and some have worked well. Be mindful of 110 vs. 220. Also, buying additional batteries is always a good call. If you have two fully charged batteries in your case, you can leave one or more charging and not miss the shot/opportunity because your batteries hadn’t finished charging. I’ll see if I can find some of my top links for buying additional recharge batteries.

Also, before your trip, fully charge and discharge all your rechargeable batteries. Even though modern technology indicates that this is no longer necessary, it will certainly make a difference. I’ve made my living off of making sure I had battery power when needed.

Good luck!

Tom, did you find you had enough time available in the vehicles to do charge items sufficiently? Are those outlets always hot? I've got 3 in my truck and I don't think any are hot when the truck is off?

Owenowen, nice, thanks.

happy hunting, dv

I would agree with Texas above. Make sure you have a secondary battery along. That being said, I had plenty of time to charge the batteries by using the truck method. Even if you are in camp, you can ask the PH to just turn the ignition key to give power to the auxiliary items without starting the engine. These little adapters/converters don't take a lot of battery to work. Plus, anytime you are driving around to a blind, new area, etc, just make it a priority to have it hooked up. It really is nice.

I'm not sure the wall plug in adapter considers the difference in 110 v. 220. It might, i just don't know.

"...220, 221, whatever it takes." -Mr. Mom

Voltage in South Africa is 220/240V. Round three-pole plugs are in common use, while mobile phone chargers use round two-pole plugs.

You might check with your PH to see if he's already got a converter made up. My PH had one so I didn't need to bring anything. I did bring my cigarette lighter adapter for my cell phone but didn't use it as I kept my phone off the whole time in RSA.

South Africa Electrical Converter & Adapter

Electricity, the South African standard is 220/230 Volts AC 50 Hz, three-pin 15 amp outlets however Standard European 220 Volts, two-pin outlets are sometimes used as well.

Many lodges/camps have generator(s) to power the electricity through rechargeable batteries therefore it is recommended to bring a small power inverter that plugs into a cigarette lighter to invert 12V DC Power to 110V AC for recharging in the hunting vehicle. Generator(s) in most camps are only run during the morning and evening hours and sometimes can be run at other times by special request.

Be sure to check with your hunting outfitter in South Africa what they are using. Many outfitters will already have on hand

Click here for a worldwide voltage guide.

sa-electrical-outlet.jpg

South African Electrical Outlet - South African standard is 220/230 Volts AC 50 Hz, three-pin 15 amp outlets.

euro-electrical-outlet.jpg

European Electrical Outlet - European standard is 220 Volts, two-pin outlets.

us-euro-plug-adapter-front.jpg
us-euro-plug-adapter-back.jpg

American / European To South African Outlet Plug Adapter - To be plugged in a 220V South African outlets. Will accept American and European plugs.

euro-us-plug-adapter-front.jpg
euro-us-plug-adapter-back.jpg

American to European Outlet Plug Adapter - To be plugged in a 220V European outlets. Will accept American plugs.

us-plug.jpg

US Plug - To be plugged in a 110V American outlets.

ac-adapter.jpg

AC Adapter - For your devices such as cameras, video cameras, computers, etc. that make use of an AC Adapter you might not need a power converter from 110V to 220V to use your 110V portable devices in 220V foreign countries outlets. This is especially true for more recent devices. Just check behind the AC Adapter box and check the power INPUT, if it reads INPUT : 100-240V : 50-60Hz your device can safely be used anywhere where the current ranges from 110V to 240V as the AC adapter can handle dual voltage, acting just as a power converter. You will however need to use an American to European and / or South African outlet plug adapter to connect your device to the appropriate foreign outlet.

euro-us-converter.jpg

European 220V to American 110V Adapter and Converter - For your devices such as electric tooth brushes, electric razors, hair dryers, etc. that do not make use of an AC Adapter you more than likely will need a power converter from 110V to 220V to use your 110V portable devices in 220V foreign countries outlets. Use any 110V portable devices in 220V foreign countries outlets by such power converter which will convert the 220V to 110V, so you can use your devices from the US that were made to work with 110V. Even though made to plug in European two prong outlets, such converter can easily be used in conjunction with a European to South African outlet plug adapter to be utilized in South Africa. A South African 220V to American 110V adapter and converter will be much more difficult to find and expensive to purchase.

car-power-inverter.jpg

Car Power Inverter - A power inverter will allow you to use and charge your electrical devices that requires an AC power supply in a car.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Jerome. Exactly what was needed!

happy hunting, dv

You may want to consult your manual also....

My Canon batteries and charger for my DLSR are dual voltage 110/220;either 50 or 60 Hz.

I just adapt from the US stlye bladed plug to the round hole style in either SA or Namibia,no need for a converter.

I also have a photovolteac roll up thats around 12" square that provides enough for either camera or lap top batteries.Works good too.I use it to drive a cd burner for photo backup also.

Dinsdale

So does anyone have a simple link to amazon etc.. for a South African power converter? Many I see have everything but the plugs for SA. I'm going to use on converter and a power strip plugged into that.

If you are just charging lap tops, ipads, camera batteries and phones. you just need a plug adapter, not a converter. All of the modern electronics charge from 110 or 220. Just need the plug adapter to put into the wall. Mine came from Amazon. Just go to the Amazon site, type in their search entry for South African power plug adapters. I think I paid $8 or $10 for three of them. I have never needed a converter in Europe or the Middle East, just the plug adapter. If you are taking something out of the normal, you may need an converter for it, just don't know what it would be.

:Joyful:What about appliances like curling irons? For some reason my girlfriend thinks that she is going to need one.
I got word back from Tactacam that their cameras and chargers need a convertor. I guess it would be safest to plug a power strip into a converter and run all chargers at 110V.

:Joyful:What about appliances like curling irons? For some reason my girlfriend thinks that she is going to need one.
I got word back from Tactacam that their cameras and chargers need a convertor. I guess it would be safest to plug a power strip into a converter and run all chargers at 110V.
A curling iron will need a converter unless you buy one specifically 220 volts.
I guess if your outfitter tells you to bring one, so be it. But out of probably 13 countries that I have been in that have 220, I have never needed a converter. Lap tops and battery chargers, at least the ones I own and have owned in the last 10 years charge from either 110 or 220. The "converter if you will" is built into the electronics. I just have to have a plug adapter for that country's outlet.

@BRICKBURN, you posted on this subject awhile back about modern electronics and the multi voltage ability. Please help the OP out, I feel he is now totally confused. Read my two posts and see if we are not in total agreement on modern laptops, Ipads and battery chargers for cameras.

Other items outside of electronics may very well need a converter. I would say leave it at home unless built for 220 volts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cazhino90

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg