Founder
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.africahunting.com
Media
Articles
by Ellanie Smit

The controversial hunting permit of a black rhino in Namibia that was auctioned to a Texas hunter earlier this year may be cancelled.

The permit was sold by the Dallas Safari Club to Corey Knowlton for N$3.7 million (US$350 000), sparking outrage internationally among animal activists and wildlife groups, especially because poaching has become a thorn in the flesh of many African countries.

After Knowlton was revealed as the winner of the controversial auction, he received so many death threats that local law enforcement and the Federal Bureau Investigation (FBI) had to step in to keep him safe.

The Dallas Safari Club now says it will cancel Knowlton’s black rhino hunt if the United States Fish and Wildlife Service denies Knowlton’s request to import the rhino’s carcass as a trophy.

Knowlton has applied for a permit from the wildlife agency to bring the trophy back to the US and is still awaiting approval.

If the permit is denied, the Safari Club plans to refund Knowlton's money that was pledged to a rhino conservation fund in Namibia.

The US Fish and Wildlife Service is reportedly scrutinising Knowlton’s request, due the increasing levels of poaching in Africa.

Namibia is experiencing an increase in rhino poaching, with 18 rhino carcasses that have been discovered this year already.

The US wildlife agency has started accepting public comments on the permit application and has already heard from many of the groups that opposed the auction.

The wildlife service expects to make a decision after the public comment period ends on December 8 and will take into account the state of the rhino population in Namibia. It will also examine exactly how the auction funds will be administered.

Last year, the service granted a permit to import a sport-hunted black rhino taken in Namibia in 2009, but increased poaching since then may affect whether any more permits are approved.

According to a recent Cabinet release, black rhinos are listed in the US Endangered Species Act and therefore their products cannot be easily imported into the US.

For the import to be authorised, a lengthy process to assess the conservation and management of the particular species has to be conducted. So far, the US has only allowed one black rhino trophy to be imported into its territory, which originated from Namibia, the release said.

The Ministry of Environment and Tourism previously said the in the case of Namibia’s annual rhino trophy-hunting quota, only post-reproductive males are hunted and the revenue derived from such hunts will be reinvested in rhino management, including addressing challenges such as poaching, which is a real threat to rhinoceros all over the world.

Namibia’s rhinos are protected through the Community Based Natural Resource Programme that gives communities ownership and the responsibility to protect them.

Source: The Namibian Sun

Hats off to DSC for offering the refund but our d**n USFW is crooked and it's evident in the actions they take. Everything they do is politicaly driven.

This is so annoying!

The government basically declares that another countries laws are no good and therefore invalid, heck we do the same thing with our own laws for that matter. This is really just another immigration law that Obama has just decided he doesn't like! Grr....

A legal taken animal which helps can not be brought here but an illegal person who hurts us in so many ways can stay.Maybe they just get mixed up with the spellings on which one is right.I will try and help just in case a few read this.

LEGAL =(good) ILLEGAL=(bad)

One gives money to help the problem the other cost money and make it worse.Wow are world is in alot of trouble because of this thinking.

A legal taken animal which helps can not be brought here but an illegal person who hurts us in so many ways can stay.Maybe they just get mixed up with the spellings on which one is right.I will try and help just in case a few read this.

LEGAL =(good) ILLEGAL=(bad)

One gives money to help the problem the other cost money and make it worse.Wow are world is in alot of trouble because of this thinking.

The real difference Bill is that rhinos will never be able to vote for the democrats, but those illegals could one day!

Damn shame, I wish I could say I was surprised but alas I'm not. USFWS is a bunch of anti-hunters

Damn shame, I wish I could say I was surprised but alas I'm not. USFWS is a bunch of anti-hunters

ha ha more like a bunch of wankers,...... enysee
im starting to see where laws are stemming from

I hope the money makes its way to Rhino conservation.

DSC will do the right thing but will USFWS? Seems that our gov. Is loaded down with people who are detached from the world.

Not only detached from the world, but extremely short sighted and concerned only with what "the mob's" emotional response will be. "We saved a rhino" trumps "we helped to save the species." This is common unfortunately.

Why didn't they have a fund raiser and buy it themselves. Then they could have released him into the wild! Only to be shot by s poacher in a month.

I was told about the actual Rhino that is to be hunted. The black rhino that was auctioned off is a problem rhino at one of the national parks, I can't remember the name of the park but the Rhino had been causing trouble with the buildings at the gate and at night it was breaking out of the fences of the park, chasing the local's cattle and trying to kill them. Then returning into the park at the end of the night.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeannaDost

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg